Spend The Day With Blackmagic

DBounce

Looks like Blackmagic is having a meet on July 22nd to demonstrate all the products that they announced at nab. Here's a link to register for the event. I would imagine the Ursa and Ursa Mini will both be shown. This will likely be the first opportunity to get a good understanding of the capabilities of the new 4.6k sensor.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

CVP (UK) is doing stuff like this on a regular basis. Take the rest of this month...

Tomorrow there's: http://cvp.com/index.php?t=events/65/get_in_the_right_gear_with_gearbox_and_cvp

Then a week later there's a paid workshop on aerial video (with Philip Bloom): http://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/come_fly_with_me_event

But back OT. If someone can finally get me some info on what actual monitoring features the BM Video Assist has, that would be highly appreciated!

The Blackmagic Video Assist has a bright 5 inch 1920 x 1080 high resolution display so you don’t have to carry extra on set monitors and scopes. [..]

The elegant heads up display is a semi transparent overlay that let’s you change recording formats or view the current input frame rate, histogram, audio meters, timecode, and more

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

But back OT. If someone can finally get me some info on what actual monitoring features the BM Video Assist has, that would be highly appreciated!

+1 Yes please! It's my first pre-order experience (it just seems too good to be true, but again that's just on paper)

Would very much appreciate any information on the existence of any monitoring features (peaking/zebras/histogram/punch-in).

Also if someone held it/looked at it a small impression on build and LCD quality would be extremely helpful.

Sounds like the 15 stops of dynamic range will only be available when global shutter is turned off. Bummer. Any thoughts on this? There's been talk lately on this forum about motion cadence. I have been hoping that the global shutter would assist in this aspect. But now having to choose between that or dynamic range is frustrating. I know it's all speculation at this point, but what would you choose, dynamic range or global shutter?

Man i would choose 15 stops of dynamic range. But you know what there are only few situations when rolling shutter annoys me... ok when a train goes from side to side of my frame, a car, but i rarely do some fast pans... therefore i can see no problem with 2 stops down when turning on Global shutter. I think i will almost always shoot RS with this baby while sometimes i would choose GS... like a those nuclear backpacks on Ghostbusters movie... "Please put it on... Pjewwwwwwwwwwwwww... On..." LOL

Man i would choose 15 stops of dynamic range. But you know what there are only few situations when rolling shutter annoys me... ok when a train goes from side to side of my frame, a car, but i rarely do some fast pans... therefore i can see no problem with 2 stops down when turning on Global shutter. I think i will almost always shoot RS with this baby while sometimes i would choose GS... like a those nuclear backpacks on Ghostbusters movie... "Please put it on... Pjewwwwwwwwwwwwww... On..." LOL

Give me 15 stops and I'm pretty sure I can live with applying a rolling shutter fix in post to 1% of my shots :)

I guess my question is not so much about rolling shutter as it is about the look of the footage, aka, this mysterious motion cadence I've been hearing about. I don't mean that sarcastically. I think I do have a sense of this. I guess my question is, could global shutter raw create a nicer motion cadence than a rolling shutter version? Maybe it has no impact, I don't know. But if it does, would that be more valuable than dynamic range?

How about celluloid and mechanical shutter ? 24 times a second it opens and closes globally in front of the celluloid no ? Is it what we call a global shutter ?

Do i understand your question well ? If it is no please explain to me. Because i think GS won't affect motion cadence at all... Maybe i miss something ?

Are you suggesting I shoot with film? I mean sure, that would be ideal. But if that were an option for me, why in the world would I be discussing the URSA mini? 

I think its perfectly reasonable to wonder if a global shutter would affect the look or motion cadence of digital footage. Maybe it won't, but its a reasonable question.

Global shutter will impact the MOTION.. But I honestly have yet to know what people are talking about with motion cadence. Maybe I see it sometimes. Andrew has said (and I seemed to agree at the time..) that the nx1 has nice cadence, even though that's like the most extreme rolling shutter out there. And true, mechanical shutter is not global shutter, but faster than most rolling shutter and just different.

Global shutter will impact the MOTION.. But I honestly have yet to know what people are talking about with motion cadence. Maybe I see it sometimes. Andrew has said (and I seemed to agree at the time..) that the nx1 has nice cadence, even though that's like the most extreme rolling shutter out there. And true, mechanical shutter is not global shutter, but faster than most rolling shutter and just different.

Yes, like I said, motion cadence is a mystery to me too. But at the same time, some footage I see looks natural and organic. And some looks choppier. I can't tell if I'm just seeing things, or if internet compression is doing ugly things in some cases and not in others. Lots of variables. I have wondered if maybe a global shutter would simulate the way film is exposed a bit more and therefore reproduce motion better. It's just a thought.

Sacrificing 2 stops of dynamic range is a bummer. I wonder why they are just now getting around to suggesting this? Is this something that may be worked out eventually in firmware updates?