Quick question - I hope!

CTRT

Hi everyone,

Thanks for having me ;)

I have a quick question, bearing in mind I'm basically an idiot.

I have had a long term loan of a Nikon D7200. In that time I've gotten work, which is great. Some of that work is video work.

I now have to return that now and need to buy a replacement, but am not sure if my best bet is simply getting a direct replacement.

I am not afraid of buying second hand, but really need something that shoots video (well lit subject matter) as well as the Nikon.

Any advice will be hugely appreciated... I have been pouring over reviews for a few days and have basically lost the ability to reach any conclusions ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

'Some of that work is video'... that's an oddly vague description.

What kind of shooting? Run'n'gun? Lightweight? Elaborate setups? Lowlight?

What is your budget? I might recommend you to get a Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6K and then it's way outta your budget and way to bulky/heavy.

Also, do you have (Nikon) lenses already?

But ok, let's say you just want something as close to the D7200 you came to know rather well. So, basicly something that comes close to providing solid 1080p/60. Uh. In that case, how about sticking with Nikon and get that new D5500 (alternatively the D5300/D5200)? If you do have some Nikon lenses already, you can also adapt 'em to a Sony A6000 (recently got XAVC-S added) as well for example. Then there's the new Panasonic G7 if you'd like to go 4K. Speedboost some lenses. Or perhaps get the G6 that still holds great value (or even GX7/GM1). It all depends on your style of shooting, your requirements and your budget, so it's not such a quick question after all, I'm afraid.

But taken the fact you've been checking out stuff for days, what have you narrowed things down to yourself?

'Some of that work is video'... that's an oddly vague description.

What kind of shooting? Run'n'gun? Lightweight? Elaborate setups? Lowlight?

What is your budget? I might recommend you to get a Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6K and then it's way outta your budget and way to bulky/heavy.

Also, do you have (Nikon) lenses already?

But ok, let's say you just want something as close to the D7200 you came to know rather well. So, basicly something that comes close to providing solid 1080p/60. Uh. In that case, how about sticking with Nikon and get that new D5500 (alternatively the D5300/D5200)? If you do have some Nikon lenses already, you can also adapt 'em to a Sony A6000 (recently got XAVC-S added) as well for example. Then there's the new Panasonic G7 if you'd like to go 4K. Speedboost some lenses. Or perhaps get the G6 that still holds great value (or even GX7/GM1). It all depends on your style of shooting, your requirements and your budget, so it's not such a quick question after all, I'm afraid.

But taken the fact you've been checking out stuff for days, what have you narrowed things down to yourself?

​First, thanks for replying... I figured there was half a chance that my stupid vague question would go unanswered... :)

Second, I don't own any lenses; the loaner had two, one of which was wide angled, and was the only one I ever use for video. I'd have to buy a lens as well.

Third, you mention the D5500, etc., but I literally have no idea how these compare to the 7200 - quality wise... I've seen comparisons online, but they compare a lot of - to me - arcane bits and bobs, or things like WIFI that are useless to me.

Fourth, it's almost all professionally/well lit corporate stuff - interviews and cutaways to people wandering around in hotels and conference rooms. Tripod 80% of the time. Found the Nikon to not be great for video without one tbh.

Finally a budget.. top end would be €15-1600... saying that if I was a few hundred euros off something a lot better I could maybe source the extra cash. But it wold just depend on how much better for how much cash etc.

Oh, I don't need 4K, but  solid 1080 is absolutely necessary. This all ends up online, and I can upgrade in a year or so if the work keeps coming.

Thanks again!

Oh and sorry, I had considered the lower number Nikons like a 5300, and Canon EOS 70D. I'd also been looking at a D7000 used, but then I started seeing all these other things like Blackmagic, etc., and got totally overwhelmed.

It wasn't a stupid question, but it helps to have a bit more information to get you a better answer. ;)

Quality wise I'd say you may expect the D5500 to deliver D7200 results.

With those two it's more about the difference in pro features. So weather sealing, better optical viewfinder, top LCD, dual cardslots, better focussing system (and built-in focus motor, so the D7200 works with AF lenses like the 80-200mm f/2.8D ED), slightly faster burst and fastest shutterspeed, better flash features and so on. Things which I think are less of use shooting video in controlled environments, except for the addition of the headphone jack for audio monitoring. But then again, the tilty flippy screen from the D5500 (touchscreen too, btw) might just give it an edge over the D7200 for video.

I'm expecting the actual image quality to be roughly of the exact same level (same 24.1 Toshiba sensor where they're pulling the data from). Plus, going with the Nikon, you're probably familliar with the manufacturer's philosophy and menu styles, so you'll hardly have to adjust your way of shooting.

Wow! I gotta say that the video looks more than good enough for what I need! Much appreciated... 

Just had a look at lens though... dear god they're expensive! 

Ah well, I guess you gotta spend money, etc.

You said you used two lenses and only really ever used the wide one, right?

Nikon D5500 w/ 18-55mm II ~ 719,- (D5300 about ~ 599,- )

Sigma ART 18-35mm f/1.8 ~ 679,-

For some more range, two suggestions: 2nd hand Nikon AI-s 35-70mm f/3.5 ~ 110,-* , 2nd hand Tokina AT-X PRO II 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 ~ 299,-* (* target price for excellent condition lenses (or in other words: the price I got mine for))

For wider the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 II ~ 449,-

More about lenses: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/6396-lenses/

Yes, D5300/D5500 are good options since you are already used to handling a D7200. Any additional money is better to put on lenses / other equipment you might need. Consider camera body something that you will upgrade in a few years, hence it's wise to put less money on the camera body when you're starting out. Lenses, tripods and such will usually last a very long time. My advice to beginners is always to buy good optics from start and to put less money on the camera body.

If you want some alternatives and have the opportunity to try other cameras in a store, I suggest you take a look at the Panasonic models GX7, G6/G7, and the Sony A6000.

All of the above mentioned cameras have good quality at 1080p, what matters more is that you feel comfortable handling them.

If you get a D5300 / D5500, the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 would be a great allround zoom, from fairly wide to normal focal length. Besides that lens you might want to get a 50mm f/1.8G for portrait shots. Those are my two AF lens recommendations on a budget (and should be fitting your mentioned budget as well).

You said you used two lenses and only really ever used the wide one, right?

Nikon D5500 w/ 18-55mm II ~ 719,- (D5300 about ~ 599,- )

Sigma ART 18-35mm f/1.8 ~ 679,-

For some more range, two suggestions: 2nd hand Nikon AI-s 35-70mm f/3.5 ~ 110,-* , 2nd hand Tokina AT-X PRO II 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 ~ 299,-* (* target price for excellent condition lenses (or in other words: the price I got mine for))

For wider the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 II ~ 449,-

More about lenses: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/6396-lenses/

​This is extremely helpful!! Thanks yet again!

The 18-55mm kit lens is not the lens to choose when you need to shoot in less good light conditions - or when you want a shallow depth of field.

However, it is a pretty good allround and sharp kit lens for a low cost. It has VR (Vibration Reduction, Nikons image stabilisation in lenses), which can be useful for both video and photos. Also, it focuses very closely compared to most other Nikon lenses, which makes it useful if you need to get a closeup shot of something.

For its cost, it's well worth to have it. Buy it as a kit lens, or buy it used - used ones usually go for around 50-80 euros.

Yes, D5300/D5500 are good options since you are already used to handling a D7200. Any additional money is better to put on lenses / other equipment you might need. Consider camera body something that you will upgrade in a few years, hence it's wise to put less money on the camera body when you're starting out. Lenses, tripods and such will usually last a very long time. My advice to beginners is always to buy good optics from start and to put less money on the camera body.

If you want some alternatives and have the opportunity to try other cameras in a store, I suggest you take a look at the Panasonic models GX7, G6/G7, and the Sony A6000.

All of the above mentioned cameras have good quality at 1080p, what matters more is that you feel comfortable handling them.

If you get a D5300 / D5500, the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 would be a great allround zoom, from fairly wide to normal focal length. Besides that lens you might want to get a 50mm f/1.8G for portrait shots. Those are my two AF lens recommendations on a budget (and should be fitting your mentioned budget as well).

​Thanks! I appreciate this input... I will check out the Panasonic and Sony cameras... I don't know anything about Panasonic cameras at all... :D

I really need to learn more about the gear... 

The 18-55mm kit lens is not the lens to choose when you need to shoot in less good light conditions - or when you want a shallow depth of field.

However. it is a pretty good allround and sharp kit lens for a low cost. It has VR (Vibration Reduction, Nikons image stabilisation in lenses), which can be useful for both video and photos. Also, it focuses very closely compared to most other Nikon lenses, which makes it useful if you need to get a closeup shot of something.

For its cost, it's well worth to have it. But it as a kit lens, or buy it used - used ones usually go for around 50-80 euros.

​Ah I see!

At that price it def sounds like something to have as an option! I basically record sound with a separate recorder and lapel mics (I never have a sound guy available to me) and use a tripod as much as possible, as it make things so much easier when editing. 

The 18-70mm isn't too good actually. Long focal range, but not too sharp of a lens. It worked nicely on the older low megapixel cameras, but it's unsharp on the new high megapixel cameras. So, for still photos on a D5xx, there are better alternatives. For 1080p video, I guess the lens would perform well enough. But - it doesn't perform too well in lowlight, and it does not have VR, so I think you'd be better off with the 18-55mm kit lens. I've shot with both lenses, and I'd prefer the 18-55 any day.

The 18-70mm isn't too good actually. Long focal range, but not too sharp of a lens. It worked nicely on the older low megapixel cameras, but it's unsharp on the new high megapixel cameras. So, for still photos on a D5xx, there are better alternatives. For 1080p video, I guess the lens would perform well enough. But - it doesn't perform too well in lowlight, and it does not have VR, so I think you'd be better off with the 18-55mm kit lens. I've shot with both lenses, and I'd prefer the 18-55 any day.

​Thanks! I literally was handed a camera bag with a few lenses and a camera and somehow managed to get these corporate video shoots.. ha. I had shot music videos with video cameras in the past, but never a DSLR. So I guess I'm coming at this from a weird angle. 

Saying that, once I figured out what the Nikon was capable of, and as long as I rent lights, the video I've made has been pretty sharp! And the ease of use is amazing IMO. 

The Panasonic is a very attractive LOOKING camera btw. ;) I just had a look. But I need to try and find a way to compare the video quality to the D5300, etc.

Thanks again!

If you want to go the lowest possible budget on lenses, I'd recommend Nikon 18-55mm for allround usage, and the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G and Nikon 50mm f/1.8G for getting shots in low light or with good depth-of-field separation between a person and the background.

Cinegains recommendation on the Nikon 35-70 and Tokina 28-70 are probably very worthy to look at reviews of. I haven't shot with either lens, and hence I have no opinions about them, but they surely sound like good budget options.

If you want to go the lowest possible budget on lenses, I'd recommend Nikon 18-55mm for allround usage, and the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G and Nikon 50mm f/1.8G for getting shots in low light or with good depth-of-field separation between a person and the background.

Cinegains recommendation on the Nikon 35-70 and Tokina 28-70 are probably very worthy to look at reviews of. I haven't shot with either lens, and hence I have no opinions about them, but they surely sound like good budget options.

​Thanks! I really appreciate that... I am dutifully noting all of this and checking reviews, making a budget, etc.

Have you used the Panasonic GX7? Kinda fascinated now, especially at the price...

Have you used the Panasonic GX7? Kinda fascinated now, especially at the price...

​Only briefly tried it in a shop.

But I've seen enough videos of it to know that it performs very well with 1080p video. If you have the possibility to try it out in a shop, by all means do. It is a very neat camera, and a very portable one at that (coupled with the right lens).

​Only briefly tried it in a shop.

But I've seen enough videos of it to know that it performs very well with 1080p video. If you have the possibility to try it out in a shop, by all means do. It is a very neat camera, and a very portable one at that (coupled with the right lens).

​Thanks I will... in the meantime I just checked the Sony A6000 and now I feel like I am back to having no clue... ha.

So I think I must limit my options:

Another Nikon D7x00 €1000-1200
Nikon D5300 €750
Sony A6000 €600
Panasonic GX7 €650

Hmmmm..... Of course I can always look second hand, etc.