Quick question - I hope!

CTRT

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you like the a6000, but don't need the viewfinder, take a look at the a5100. It's an amazing little camera and it's dirt cheap. Manufacture refurbished bodies go for less than $300 on eBay. 

​ooh! That's very interesting! Saying that I might be lost without a viewfinder... at least with the nikon I found it very hard to judge focus quickly outdoors on the back screen.. then again that's not something I do very often, and wasn't for work, but for fun... then again, you never know I suppose.. 

Either way I'll google it! Thanks!

Actually, are my lens options greatly limited by choosing Panasonic or Sony? Looking online it's hard to figure out exactly what the story is... hard for me :D

Thanks again guys!

If you go the mirrorless route... Sony, Panasonic, et al... your lens options become endless by using cheap adapters. 

If you go the mirrorless route... Sony, Panasonic, et al... your lens options become endless by using cheap adapters. 

​oh! I didn't know such things existed... so even if I got the Sony or Panasonic I could still consider the lens recommended for the Nikon..? And do the adaptors allow things like AF, etc. etc., etc.? 

​oh! I didn't know such things existed... so even if I got the Sony or Panasonic I could still consider the lens recommended for the Nikon..? And do the adaptors allow things like AF, etc. etc., etc.? 

No, the lens will be manual only, but manual focus lenses are usually much better for video anyway. Of course, if you are only doing basic corporate, interview shoots, I can see how the auto functions would be beneficial. But, there are still a lot of lenses for both the Sony and Panasonic systems, so you wouldn't be limited at all. If you have any goals of extending your work into more creative areas, manual lenses are the way to go, IMO. 

No, the lens will be manual only, but manual focus lenses are usually much better for video anyway. Of course, if you are only doing basic corporate, interview shoots, I can see how the auto functions would be beneficial. But, there are still a lot of lenses for both the Sony and Panasonic systems, so you wouldn't be limited at all. If you have any goals of extending your work into more creative areas, manual lenses are the way to go, IMO. 

​I don't ever use the AF for videos... I was really just curious :)

I actually didn't even know the Nikon had all the auto options until after my first shoot!! Whoops!

I did find the auto stuff useful for quick shots for fun at gigs or on the street... but that's not paying work... yet...? :D

Thank you for the info! I appreciate the info and advice!

You also might want to consider the 4K bridge cameras that are out. The Panasonic FZ1000, or the new Sony model, or even the Panasonic LX100. They all have a built in zoom lens, shoot 4K and 1080p at multiple frame rates. Really nice cameras for run and gun and simple set ups... Which sound perfect for interviews. 

You also might want to consider the 4K bridge cameras that are out. The Panasonic FZ1000, or the new Sony model, or even the Panasonic LX100. They all have a built in zoom lens, shoot 4K and 1080p at multiple frame rates. Really nice cameras for run and gun and simple set ups... Which sound perfect for interviews. 

​What is a bridge camera?? Sorry but that term is new to me!

EDIT: Sorry I just googled and discovered the answer!

Honestly, if I had your budget and was looking for a nice set up, I would probably go with the Panasonic LX100... Which would give me a built in zoom lens, 4K and 1080p video with full manual control and then also pick up a Panasonic G7, which would give me all of the above plus the ability to grow into interchangeable lenses. This way you could do multi-cam interview set up, run and gun shoots and a more controlled interchangeable lens shoot when necessary. I don't do that kind of work, but I would imagine the flexibility would be excellent for a video kit. 

Honestly, if I had your budget and was looking for a nice set up, I would probably go with the Panasonic LX100... Which would give me a built in zoom lens, 4K and 1080p video with full manual control and then also pick up a Panasonic G7, which would give me all of the above plus the ability to grow into interchangeable lenses. This way you could do multi-cam interview set up, run and gun shoots and a more controlled interchangeable lens shoot when necessary. I don't do that kind of work, but I would imagine the flexibility would be excellent for a video kit. 

​I was just looking at video samples from the LX100 and am pretty amazed!! For the price it seems almost too good to be true! 

I was planning, if the work keeps up for another year - I get a job every month or so and they pay well enough - to upgrade properly, and I was hoping the loaner camera I had would stay in my possession that long ;) Now that it's going away and I have to have a quick solution I am still considering that upgrade, but may have to wait say 18 months. But then if it was still going like this I could afford to drop 4-5k on a camera/lens and get something proper for the long run. So to speak.

The LX100 seems pretty perfect though! Thanks so much for that suggestion!

​I was just looking at video samples from the LX100 and am pretty amazed!! For the price it seems almost too good to be true! 
I was planning, if the work keeps up for another year - I get a job every month or so and they pay well enough - to upgrade properly, and I was hoping the loaner camera I had would stay in my possession that long ;) Now that it's going away and I have to have a quick solution I am still considering that upgrade, but may have to wait say 18 months. But then if it was still going like this I could afford to drop 4-5k on a camera/lens and get something proper for the long run. So to speak.

The LX100 seems pretty perfect though! Thanks so much for that suggestion!

No problem, take a look at the FZ1000 as well. It's pretty much the same as the LX100 with a smaller sensor, but it has a microphone input. The LX100 is a better camera, but the FZ1000 is a little bigger and has some of the cinema picture profiles. I know Sony has an update to their RC10 that shoots 4K and is supposed to be amazing as well. There are some options out there. Good Luck!!!

​What is a bridge camera?? Sorry but that term is new to me!

It bridges the gap between compacts and dSLRs/mirrorless cameras. It has an all-purpose superzoom lens that ranges from 24-400mm. Really flexible. I consider the FZ1000 a mini GH4. Downside is the dynamic range... it clips rather quickly, operating noise of the lens and it's harder to create a shallow depth of field. Of course you can't really throw another lens with specific characteristics in front of it either. But it does make for a nice all-in-one solution and does offer dSLR-like controls and features.

The LX100 is more compact and unlike the FZ1000 that sports a 1" sensor, the LX100 has a four thirds, 4/3, 1.33" sensor. I like the image out of it a lot. Surely the lensrange isn't as flexible and doesn't feature some more advanced features the FZ1000 and GH4 do sport.

On another note, I don't know how much of what you do includes photography, but the 24MP APS-C sensor cameras offer that little more for shooting a bit higher quality stills.

I briefly touched on this subject in my first reply. If you want to adapt lenses to Sony and/or Panasonic, you can. There are cheap adapters from e.g. Fotga that hardly cost a thing. Going with vintage/2nd hand glass will get you great quality lenses for fair prices, they usually have full manual controls with an aperture and focus ring. Some newer Nikon lenses lack aperture rings, but because they're still mechanically operated, the cheap adapters feature a basic ring for closing and opening the aperture. With newer Canon lenses the aperture ring is missing as well. However, these are electronically operated. You need a fancy expensive adapter with electronics built in to take full advantage of those lenses. So you might want to pass on those.

Then even better, if you get one of these Sony/Panasonic cameras you can get a focal reducer/lens turbo/speedbooster. These adapters contain glass elements that compress the image from the lens that's originally meant for a bigger sensor sized camera onto the sensor of the smaller sensor sized camera you're shooting with. This recovers some of the crop factor essentially giving you a wider field of view than a regular adapter, which also translates to a shallower depth of field and increased light gathering ability.

Look into the possibilities. Take your time to figure out what suits your needs best and drop by a camera store for some hands-on experience. ;)

No problem, take a look at the FZ1000 as well. It's pretty much the same as the LX100 with a smaller sensor, but it has a microphone input. The LX100 is a better camera, but the FZ1000 is a little bigger and has some of the cinema picture profiles. I know Sony has an update to their RC10 that shoots 4K and is supposed to be amazing as well. There are some options out there. Good Luck!!!

​more options... ahhhhhhh.... ;)

I will check them! Thanks so much!

It bridges the gap between compacts and dSLRs/mirrorless cameras. It has an all-purpose superzoom lens that ranges from 24-400mm. Really flexible. I consider the FZ1000 a mini GH4. Downside is the dynamic range... it clips rather quickly, operating noise of the lens and it's harder to create a shallow depth of field. Of course you can't really throw another lens with specific characteristics in front of it either. But it does make for a nice all-in-one solution and does offer dSLR-like controls and features.

The LX100 is more compact and unlike the FZ1000 that sports a 1" sensor, the LX100 has a four thirds, 4/3, 1.33" sensor. I like the image out of it a lot. Surely the lensrange isn't as flexible and doesn't feature some more advanced features the FZ1000 and GH4 do sport.

On another note, I don't know how much of what you do includes photography, but the 24MP APS-C sensor cameras offer that little more for shooting a bit higher quality stills.

I briefly touched on this subject in my first reply. If you want to adapt lenses to Sony and/or Panasonic, you can. There are cheap adapters from e.g. Fotga that hardly cost a thing. Going with vintage/2nd hand glass will get you great quality lenses for fair prices, they usually have full manual controls with an aperture and focus ring. Some newer Nikon lenses lack aperture rings, but because they're still mechanically operated, the cheap adapters feature a basic ring for closing and opening the aperture. With newer Canon lenses the aperture ring is missing as well. However, these are electronically operated. You need a fancy adapter with electronics built in to take full advantage of those lenses. So you might want to pass on those.

Then even better, if you get one of these Sony/Panasonic cameras you can get a focal reducer/lens turbo/speedbooster. These adapters contain glass elements that compress the image from the lens that's originally meant for a bigger sensor sized camera onto the sensor of the smaller sensor sized camera you're shooting with. This recovers some of the crop factor essentially giving you a wider field of view than a regular adapter, which also translates to a shallower depth of field and increased light gathering ability.

Look into the possibilities. Take your time to figure out what suits your needs best and drop by a camera store for some hands-on experience. ;)

​Lot's of things to ponder in this post! I really need to start embracing this tech and figuring out what it all means I guess :D 

I noticed the GH4 as well.. I need to look into that more as well... 

So many options! 

Thanks for all of this info!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

There around three hundred cameras to choose from and about one and a half thousand lenses to pick. Good luck :D 

Just tell me, what do you want in the camera for your work? Answer these 

1-Let's say, resolution/sharpness, is that really critical or was the D7200 enough? 

2- Lowlight performance at high ISOs?

3- Do you find you clip a lot of highlights and need a higher dynamic range?

4- Do need small efficient files for working fast or large maximum quality files to grade and take your time?

5- Do you want a small camera? pocket size? entry-level SLR size? Large SLR size? a camcorder?

6- Do you need to record audio in-camera or are you OK with recording externally and syncing in post?

7- Do you need the camera to record continuously for long times or is it OK to take smaller 15 min-ish takes?

8- Do you need it to have a long battery life or are OK with carrying/swapping batteries?

9- Do you like very shallow depth of field (beautiful background separation) or is it not critical?

10- What kind of zoom range do you require  in a lens? (a wide angle you said?),

11- does it need to be a high-end stills performer like the D7200 or just fine enough? 

12- Generally how much did you like the D7200 and what are the limitations about it? 

(Sorry!)

There around three hundred cameras to choose from and about one and a half thousand lenses to pick. Good luck :D 

Just tell me, what do you want in the camera for your work? Answer these 

1-Let's say, resolution/sharpness, is that really critical or was the D7200 enough? 

2- Lowlight performance at high ISOs?

3- Do you find you clip a lot of highlights and need a higher dynamic range?

4- Do need small efficient files for working fast or large maximum quality files to grade and take your time?

5- Do you want a small camera? pocket size? entry-level SLR size? Large SLR size? a camcorder?

6- Do you need to record audio in-camera or are you OK with recording externally and syncing in post?

7- Do you need the camera to record continuously for long times or is it OK to take smaller 15 min-ish takes?

8- Do you need it to have a long battery life or are OK with carrying/swapping batteries?

9- Do you like very shallow depth of field (beautiful background separation) or is it not critical?

10- What kind of zoom range do you require  in a lens? (a wide angle you said?),

11- does it need to be a high-end stills performer like the D7200 or just fine enough? 

12- Generally how much did you like the D7200 and what are the limitations about it? 

(Sorry!)

Hi :)

​1. The 7200 was good enough, and much sharper than what the company before me was producing. Video is ending up at 1080 on YouTube and company websites. Saying that, less sharp would not be an option.
2. Unnecessary as I always rent lights and shoot in well lit spaces.  But of course having more flexibility is never bad.
3. That was an issue, but I think I've learned how to avoid it and work around it in the edit... having to worry about it less would be very welcome though!
4. I prefer larger (well higher quality) files that I can work down from... I don't know if that's just me being overly cautious though and would be open to hearing about alternative approaches.
5. I don't care about size as most of the time I'm using a tripod. Saying that, It'd be great to have something SLR size (or smaller).
6. No need for in camera audio 
7. I have gotten used to recording in bursts of 20 mins or less.. the sensor on the Nikon would overheat (I was told by the owner that this was the issue) and cause the camera to stop recording. So I am used to the burst method. I would be open to better options as that could occasionally be frustrating. 
8. I am ok with battery swapping, but only because I'm used to it I guess... I know battery swapping can be a pain, and not all cameras have external chargers... so it's not a huge thing I guess, but being able to do it easily, or not have to do it at all would be ideal.
9. It's not critical, but for my own creative stuff it's nice to have. For the job I can live without it or if need be do it in post. Though that's a pretty huge pain.
10. I basically need to be able to get someone in focus... actually, this image is representative of 90% of the shots I use:

EclumesStudios-IdN-Interview.jpg

I would often be forced to shoot that from about 1 meter. I don't know how to describe that as far as zoom is concerned. The Nikkor lens I used could do it, and sometimes I'd even zoom in a bit optically. The point is at about a meter or 1.5 meters I could get the above framing, more or less. and that's what I need. :)

11. I occasionally get asked for still photography, but up til now that has all ended up on FB. I would bring lights and be able to compose the shots, so... well, I don't know if that answers the question ;) Basically, "good enough" is probably "good enough". though I might miss the 7200 is the replacement was significantly worse. 
12. Generally I liked it a decent amount. I did find some of the flipping between screen and viewfinder and menus and top LCD to be annoying. The autofocus was only ok and sometimes couldn't figure out what I wanted. So most of the time it was on manual. If I didn't do the lighting right - which could happen based on the back screen, the images could be VERY noisy, but that was probably just me sucking. I am open though to trying other things and being blown away. It was random that I got it, and as such I am not wedded to it, so to speak.

Hope that's all clear :D