Canon EOS 1d C Sample .mov footage?

Shield3

I just bought this camera used with 33k clicks and 2 OEM batteries for $4300 USD.  It won't be here until next week - was hoping if anyone has a link to downloadable 4096x2180 "straight out of the camera" footage I'd appreciate it.
  Bloom had some on his site, as well as Planet 5d, but the links have long been removed.  Figures once the camera hits my affordability all the links are gone!

Yes, I've been searching Google and this site for about 1/2 hour.  Tough to find footage that is untouched straight out of the camera.

Thanks all! Shawn

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just bought this camera used with 33k clicks and 2 OEM batteries for $4300 USD.  It won't be here until next week - was hoping if anyone has a link to downloadable 4096x2180 "straight out of the camera" footage I'd appreciate it.
  Bloom had some on his site, as well as Planet 5d, but the links have long been removed.  Figures once the camera hits my affordability all the links are gone!

Yes, I've been searching Google and this site for about 1/2 hour.  Tough to find footage that is untouched straight out of the camera.

Thanks all! Shawn

​congrats on the great deal, not many people have the camera so i doubt you can get your hands on some footage. The only way i can think of is downloading a 1dc video of vimeo.

Thanks!  I've found lots of things on Youtube, but most of them were graded.  Was really wanting some C log mov files to fool around with.  For fun I threw one in Photoshop CC, converted to a smart object and applied the raw filter - these files really seem far superior even to the 5d3 raw.  I sold my 6d earlier and have my 1d4 up for sale; the 1dc is basically taking the place of those.

That Metabones IV adapter may end up forcing me to sell the a7s at some point.  My son plays travel baseball so I was out beyond the fence in center field shooting the a7s + the new Sigma 150-600 C - footage looked fantastic, but there must be a compatibility problem as it kept shutting off.  Sigh.  Love the a7s otherwise.

Hey Sheild3,

I own the 1DC - paid the premium a few years ago - however, it has been worth it due to the gained experience (at least that is what I'm telling myself).  The files are big 4GB for 1 minute.  The camera is a lot better than most realize. 

Congrats on your purchase. 

Cheers

Just got the 1dc in - Andrew was not kidding about the image quality.  It's like the 5d3 in raw, except reliable and 4x the resolution.  I can see why he calls this a "1st level" Hollywood camera.  My jaw dropped when I played back the Cinema footage I took.

Was Andrew ever going to start a list of things the 1dc excels at over the a7s?  I have quite a few and the list is growing by the minute as I acclimate myself to the 1dc.

Such as:

Shoot 12 FPS

Actually track a moving subject very well

Shoot 18 megapixel

Have all your most used items all on one screen "favorites" menu

Limit the number of shots in a burst

Internal 4k

Real battery life

Faster startup time

Better build quality

Better speedlight control

Native EF mount (no more Metabones errors!)

Actually will focus Canon EF glass in less than 10 seconds

61 pt AF / 41 cross type

etc.

• 3 weeks later...

​It'll be curious to see what the price of that camera will be in a few years.

​"That" camera?  My post mentioned two separate cameras.  Both are great cameras and I'm enjoying the 1dc.  I will say that once the a7s II is released, the price of the a7s will drop to around $1200.  In 5 years a 1dc will still be worth more than that; a 2009/10 1dIV in good shape still sells in the 1800 range today.  People often forget the 1dc is also a 1dx, with the FF 12FPS.  I just wish the 1080p60 footage was a tad better but some sharpness in post helps out a lot.  The 4k footage on a 4k screen is stunning though.

Just got the 1dc in - Andrew was not kidding about the image quality.  It's like the 5d3 in raw, except reliable and 4x the resolution.  I can see why he calls this a "1st level" Hollywood camera.  My jaw dropped when I played back the Cinema footage I took.

​I'm thinking about buying one. I absolutely love the 5D3 raw. The quality is excellent. 

How is the 1080p footage 24p? Does it sample from the 4K stream?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

​How is the 1080p footage 24p? Does it sample from the 4K stream?

In Full Frame mode, 1080p is pixel binned, soft-ish and similar to 5DIII quality in H.264. 

In S35 crop mode, it's a perfect downsample from a 2.7K-ish area, very sharp 1080p and C100/A7s quality. 

In 1.3x APS-H crop, it does 4K, which produces the best quality image from this camera. 

When the camera is in that mode, it does a perfect 4k to HD downsample and sends it to the HDMI output, and can be recorded externally to a ninja 2/BMVA as of course 1.3x crop 1080p derived from 4K in ProRes 4:2:2 8bit. 

But, still shooting 4K internally and downsampling in post is the highest quality way mainly due to re-framing ability. 

In short, with the 1Dc only shoot in APS-H crop 4K and s35 crop 1080p. 

• Administrators

There's also the 1.3x APS-H mode through HDMI which produces the best 1080p from the 1D C, even better than the internal S35 mode.

True the full frame 1080p mode is binned. Looks same as 1D X. A bit better than 5D3 but not by much. The 1080/60p full frame mode is even more heavily binned than the 24p is and is unusable.

The 1D C is all about that APS-H mode in 4K internally (422) or via HDMI in 1080p... That image is glorious, an art form in itself. Long after it is out-specced by the A7R II and future pro cams, it will still be competitive in terms of the sheer beauty of how it looks. Incredibly rich colour, filmic texture, stunningly organic and silky smooth in low light. It is the 4K MJPEG version of Digital Bolex :)

And it is a match for 5D3 raw, without the reliability issues and crummy resolution... colour is just as nice... only difference is you can't push it as far off in post, i.e. completely alter white balance, and occasionally you get some banding.

• Administrators

Was Andrew ever going to start a list of things the 1dc excels at over the a7s?  I have quite a few and the list is growing by the minute as I acclimate myself to the 1dc.

Such as:

Shoot 12 FPS

Actually track a moving subject very well

Shoot 18 megapixel

Have all your most used items all on one screen "favorites" menu

Limit the number of shots in a burst

Internal 4k

Real battery life

Faster startup time

Better build quality

Better speedlight control

Native EF mount (no more Metabones errors!)

Actually will focus Canon EF glass in less than 10 seconds

61 pt AF / 41 cross type

etc.

C'mon dude...12 out of your 13 points refer to stills!!

​Let's narrow it down to video, because it is obvious which is the better stills camera if you want build quality and AF! 1D C is Canon's stills flagship 1D X in all but the badge.

So video...

A7S has better internal full frame 1080p resolution, as it isn't binned, comes from a full sensor readout. The APS-C modes (Super 35mm) on both the 1D C and A7S are quite equally matched for resolution BUT I much prefer the colour out of the 1D C in rec.709 and in Canon LOG it is far easier to grade than A7S in Sony LOG.

You say battery life is an advantage of the 1D C.... Only for stills. In 4K video mode it chews through batteries like a hungry dog in a sausage factory. And these are massive batteries, 5x larger in physical size than the ones the A7S takes!! It is not an economical cool running camera at all for video.

The native EF mount does have its advantages for Canon users. But the metabones errors are mostly fixed now and the A7RII will even sort AF out.

I don't class the A7S's size as an advantage for video... prefer the weight of the 1D C... it is tiny compared to an FS7 or C300 and lighter, but it is not too light like the A7S, so you can use it handheld without as much jitter and it just feels more stable in general. Shame no articulated screen though. The ergonomics are very basic for video... but also, I like the simplicity. Stick a loupe on it. Hit record. Very fast and direct access to ISO, shutter, aperture, IS on/off switch, etc. FS7 is much more complex and slower.

For low light shooting, the video output of the 1D C in 4K mode is actually slightly better than the A7S in 4K over HDMI. But the A7S's internal 1080p is a bit better once you get past ISO 12.800. It can hold on for a couple of stops longer before falling apart. How much you will need those crazy high ISOs in every day situations though, there is some question.

Where the 1D C mainly excels over the A7S for video is purely that organic image. It is less electronic looking, better colour, internal 422 and of course the lovely resolution of 4K without the need to bolt a bulky recorder on. That was my main reason for buying it for video. Other reasons were stills-camera related (I wanted to sell my 5D3 but needed to keep a full frame Canon body for stills & AF).

Where the A7S excels over the 1D C for video... quite a few areas really, but not the BIG one of the internal image quality. 4k 422 Canon LOG at 500Mbit/s thrashes 1080p 420 SLOG at 50Mbit/s. But if 1080p is your bag and you can expertly grade, the A7S image can be lovely. The A7S has the advantage of more video suited ergonomics - built in EVF, articulated screen, focus zoom while recording, focus peaking, etc. It has advantage of price. It has advantages of mirrorless lens mount, it's more adaptable. Works with PL lenses with simple adapter. Works with Leica M stuff. We are talking really high end lenses here that 1D C isn't privy to at all. Also the media is cheaper and it needs less of it. Files much more efficiently compressed. It doesn't really have a dynamic range advantage for video though despite the sensor specs showing a 2 stop advantage at DXOMark for raw stills and without SLOG the rec.709 colour is horrible looking compared to the 1D C's 4K shot on Standard or Faithful for example... Canon's colour science for both LOG and Rec.709 is hands-down superior looking, but I have no idea WHY! Don't forget the A7S has that creatively interesting 120fps in 720p so that is another notch for the A7S.

Will be VERY interesting to see how the A7R II internal 4K compares to 1D C. It isn't likely to beat it. It is likely to get close. But now with the used price of the 1D C and price of a new A7R II kinda meeting in the middle, Sony can't exactly claim the price advantage any more like they could with an $2000 A7S vs $12,000 1D C.

Going to be an interesting few months.

I'd be interested in you throwing the A7s with a Shogun in there as well if you're talking about image comparisons. Not necessarily as part of the formal test, but just your opinion. I've been considering jumping from the A7s to either the NX1 or the 1DC. One of my main concerns with the NX1 though is that it will have less resale value a year down the line versus cameras from more established brands.

• Administrators

I'd be interested in you throwing the A7s with a Shogun in there as well if you're talking about image comparisons. Not necessarily as part of the formal test, but just your opinion. I've been considering jumping from the A7s to either the NX1 or the 1DC. One of my main concerns with the NX1 though is that it will have less resale value a year down the line versus cameras from more established brands.

​I don't have the Shogun any more.

I now have the Odyssey 7Q+

Review of that coming soon and yes there will be an A7S comparison in 4K vs the others with that soon also.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Oh and will have some 1D C sample MOVs to download in next article. It is about how the Samsung NX1's 4K image compares to the 1D C. Was quite an eye opener ;)

SAM_0032.thumb.png.e2490c7368ce3c35772ba

The 1Dc vs. NX1 4K image comparison is one I am personally waiting for months.

I hope it's a bit comprehensive, a bit scientific. Comparing elements: 

-Resolution (and digital sharpness) 

-Lowlight performance 

-Dynamic range amount 

-Highlight roll-off 

-Image failures (Rolling shutter, aliasing, moire)

-Any image processing stand outs, like noise reduction, marked moition smearing, colour science, sharpness, any weird processor stuff. 

-And most important request of all, two frame grabs of one person in the flattest profiles (LOG and Dialed down). Preferably a good looking female with distinctive skin if one is at your disposal :) 

Yes I'm also waiting for this comparison. Also with the A7s in there too. Andrew's comparisons are excellent and I do trust his opinions in general - although the reviews often miss the vital ingredient of tests on skintones.

Colour is something I've been thinking of increasingly as an A7s owner. Despite trying many different things I just can't seem to reliably nail colour in this thing. I can get close and make it look good, but with quite a lot of tweaking and effort which does no good for my blood pressure in the professional environment.

Then on the other hand I've downloaded 1DC footage and with a simple luma curve created a look that blew my mind - so rich and natural looking. Hence my attention moving to the 1DC and NX1. If the NX1 can be used to get a 1DC type look then I'd be very interested. However from what I've seen of the Samsung so far it's got a problem with artificial looking sharpening and aggressive crushing of the blacks which looks digital and cheap.

I just created a thread with 21 ways off the top of my head that 1dc trumps the a7s.  Sure a few of them are stills, but many are not.  Most notably the 4k internal, the ISO 400 vs 3200 for log mode, the colors, etc.

Don't know about you Andrew but I got tired of my Metabones IV really quickly.  I shoot travel baseball - my gorgeous Sigma 150-600 C would stop recording after about 20 seconds to a minute, and was repeatable every time.  Yes I had the very latest firmware on the adapter.

I haven't had the 1dc fail on me yet at all.

C'mon dude...12 out of your 13 points refer to stills!!

Let's narrow it down to video, because it is obvious which is the better stills camera if you want build quality and AF! 1D C is Canon's stills flagship 1D X in all but the badge.

So video...

A7S has better internal full frame 1080p resolution, as it isn't binned, comes from a full sensor readout. The APS-C modes (Super 35mm) on both the 1D C and A7S are quite equally matched for resolution BUT I much prefer the colour out of the 1D C in rec.709 and in Canon LOG it is far easier to grade than A7S in Sony LOG.

You say battery life is an advantage of the 1D C.... Only for stills. In 4K video mode it chews through batteries like a hungry dog in a sausage factory. And these are massive batteries, 5x larger in physical size than the ones the A7S takes!! It is not an economical cool running camera at all for video.

The native EF mount does have its advantages for Canon users. But the metabones errors are mostly fixed now and the A7RII will even sort AF out.

I don't class the A7S's size as an advantage for video... prefer the weight of the 1D C... it is tiny compared to an FS7 or C300 and lighter, but it is not too light like the A7S, so you can use it handheld without as much jitter and it just feels more stable in general. Shame no articulated screen though. The ergonomics are very basic for video... but also, I like the simplicity. Stick a loupe on it. Hit record. Very fast and direct access to ISO, shutter, aperture, IS on/off switch, etc. FS7 is much more complex and slower.

For low light shooting, the video output of the 1D C in 4K mode is actually slightly better than the A7S in 4K over HDMI. But the A7S's internal 1080p is a bit better once you get past ISO 12.800. It can hold on for a couple of stops longer before falling apart. How much you will need those crazy high ISOs in every day situations though, there is some question.

Where the 1D C mainly excels over the A7S for video is purely that organic image. It is less electronic looking, better colour, internal 422 and of course the lovely resolution of 4K without the need to bolt a bulky recorder on. That was my main reason for buying it for video. Other reasons were stills-camera related (I wanted to sell my 5D3 but needed to keep a full frame Canon body for stills & AF).

Where the A7S excels over the 1D C for video... quite a few areas really, but not the BIG one of the internal image quality. 4k 422 Canon LOG at 500Mbit/s thrashes 1080p 420 SLOG at 50Mbit/s. But if 1080p is your bag and you can expertly grade, the A7S image can be lovely. The A7S has the advantage of more video suited ergonomics - built in EVF, articulated screen, focus zoom while recording, focus peaking, etc. It has advantage of price. It has advantages of mirrorless lens mount, it's more adaptable. Works with PL lenses with simple adapter. Works with Leica M stuff. We are talking really high end lenses here that 1D C isn't privy to at all. Also the media is cheaper and it needs less of it. Files much more efficiently compressed. It doesn't really have a dynamic range advantage for video though despite the sensor specs showing a 2 stop advantage at DXOMark for raw stills and without SLOG the rec.709 colour is horrible looking compared to the 1D C's 4K shot on Standard or Faithful for example... Canon's colour science for both LOG and Rec.709 is hands-down superior looking, but I have no idea WHY! Don't forget the A7S has that creatively interesting 120fps in 720p so that is another notch for the A7S.

Will be VERY interesting to see how the A7R II internal 4K compares to 1D C. It isn't likely to beat it. It is likely to get close. But now with the used price of the 1D C and price of a new A7R II kinda meeting in the middle, Sony can't exactly claim the price advantage any more like they could with an $2000 A7S vs $12,000 1D C.

Going to be an interesting few months.

Also, I think it is very important to mention the stills capability of the 1dc over all the other cameras.  Again I shoot baseball games - I can unmount my Kinotehnik LCDVFE in about 5 seconds and I'm ready to shoot stills too.  I don't have to reach for another body (nor own one).

Lots of us shoot a mixture of stills and video; I could shoot an entire wedding (stills and video) with one body (1dc) if I wanted to.