Anxious about getting a new camera

ricardo_sousa11

If you need 4k, consider the g7 and a speedbooster. Natively there is not THAT much difference in low light and DOF between aps-c and mft sensors, and the speedbooster will get the g7 pretty close to ff practically speaking. Then buy some lights etc.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Ricardo, after all this advices, I complement hereby my own importantly opinion!:)

Bur seriously, I think it´s really not easy to make your decision for your own needs...

5dmk3 - nope, H264 sucks - ML raw is great, but you said, you need good images straight out of the camera... raw workflow is not a recommendation when you shoot a lot.

A7s: nope - ...often said, from a lot of people - so it´s not inventive to repeat it - but I do: I can´t stand the colors from this camera - I really hate it!

If you like the colors, then it´s a very good camera...:)

NX 1 - pros: nice colors straight out of the camera, 4k
cons: rolling shutter, workflow...

Blackmagic Cameras: I like these cameras, but I don´t know so much about the issues on the different types... (Low light, moire, display, form factor, etc.?)

As far as I know/have seen: Colors are always great, very good overall cinematic feeling, very nice motion cadenza...

Affordable price in respect of the high quality!

Nikon D750: from the first reviews/images of this camera I like it a lot - This camera has very nice colors straight out of the camera and a far better HD resolution than the 5dmk3.

Very cinematic!

Here a good example: https://vimeo.com/131890380

Probably the best thing is to wait, what Samsung and Nikon release next time... :)

(Blackmagic had published the Ursa Mini, etc. but it seems that it is to expensive for your budget).

From my perspective on the low-end corporate side of things:

Any camera in the price range you're talking about will do everything you need it to do and it'll look fine.  You're not going to be limited by the technology.  You're really not.  These days my assertion is that it's all about the skill level and creativity you bring to the shoot, not the consumer gear you buy... unless you decide to really go upmarket and invest 10K+ in gear that higher level clients feel more comfortable with.  

--which isn't always a bad thing.  Sometimes clients like seeing a bunch of "real" gear around and they'll pay for that reassurance, even though a shooter does the same exact thing with an expensive camera as they do with an inexpensive one.  I like to rent gear in these upscale circumstances as the cost gets passed onto the client anyway.

I agree,  this is one reason why I was considering getting a Sony FS100 / Panasonic AF100 (though I ended up with a Sony PMW-F3 instead, for basically the same price). 

Even though they only produce an image similar to a Sony NEX-5N / Panasonic GH1 (which is more than adequate for many purposes, so you can get by with them), they do have the "real gear" look to them. And they're so incredibly cheap, you can quickly recover their cost vs renting.

And there's ALWAYS a new and better piece of gear just around the corner.   I mean, I'd even be contrarian and suggest (if you're really trying to keep the budget tight) considering a GX7 ($450 used) or similar if you want great looking 1080 IQ for less.  My advice is to stay one generation behind the "cutting edge" of equipment, buy stuff when it discounts (new or used) and concentrate your efforts on shooting and lighting. 

Agreed again :-) A Sony A6000 / A5100, Nikon D5200, or Panasonic GX7 / G6 are amazingly great value!

NX 1 - pros: nice colors straight out of the camera, 4k
cons: rolling shutter, workflow...

​I'd disagree about rolling shutter to be in the cons column.

Because in 1080p mode it has the best control over rolling shutter of any! (right up with Arri Alexa level quality).

Yeah 4K is bad, but manageable, you can always switch over to 1080 if the situation calls for it.

Mainly it is lack of mainstream NLE support that is holding me back from picking up a NX1. But if I see it at the right price I will anyway!

Blackmagic Cameras: I like these cameras, but I don´t know so much about the issues on the different types... (Low light, moire, display, form factor, etc.?)

As far as I know/have seen: Colors are always great, very good overall cinematic feeling, very nice motion cadenza...

Affordable price in respect of the high quality!

BMD cameras are amazing (I own a BMPCC, which I reckon is their best one they sell currently), but not what I'd recommend as a person's first ILC or as their only camera. 

Nikon D750: from the first reviews/images of this camera I like it a lot - This camera has very nice colors straight out of the camera and a far better HD resolution than the 5dmk3.

Very cinematic!

Here a good example: https://vimeo.com/131890380

I agree the D750 is nice :-) But unless a person is doing half or more of their pro work in still photos too, then I wouldn't recommend it over a NX1/GH4/A7s/BMD.

Probably the best thing is to wait, what Samsung and Nikon release next time... :)

(Blackmagic had published the Ursa Mini, etc. but it seems that it is to expensive for your budget).

Careful... if you play the "next camera" waiting game... you'll find yourself waiting forever! 

*IF* you are going to play the waiting game, at least pick up a cheap as NEX-5N / GH1 to hold you over and keep you busy until that "next camera" does come along. 

Having considered, I think I will go for the NX1, it seems to be the best option, and also the cheapest, I realized I also have a 15 day trial, so if I really dont like it, I can give it back. It also seems like the best "future proof" camera, having the native 4k, and 120fps makes me feel confortable that within 3-5 years it will still be a very good camera.Footage will probably be quite sharp using my Samyang 24mm or Art lenses, wih some nice soft bokeh. The a7s as good as it is, will probably drop price with the arrival of the a7rII (or a7sII).

I recommend you put completely 100% out of your head any thoughts about how "future proof" your ability to use your camera in 5 years will be. 

We're moving at a far too fast a pace for that to matter. And cameras are far too cheap for that to matter. 

Instead pick what is right for you right now. (or perhaps in the next 6 months, or 12 months, but don't be looking any further out than that)

Look at a couple of examples:

Sony PMW-F3 is a camera that I just purchased last week for not much more than a grand, yet less than five years ago this camera cost US$20,000! (when you factor in the s-log upgrade) This was one of the hottest cameras back then, and was very very pricey.

Now consider the Panasonic GH2, also only less than 5 years old, and also was for its time the hottest camera around and cost a not terribly dissimilar amount to what a GH4/NX1 costs today. How much do they go for now? Only a couple of hundred bucks or so.

Conclusion: in 5 years time you'll be able to pick up the (former) hottest tech for pennies on the dollar, and also you'll be able to affordably buy new tech which is leaps and bounds ahead of it.

​I'd disagree about rolling shutter to be in the cons column.

Because in 1080p mode it has the best control over rolling shutter of any! (right up with Arri Alexa level quality).

Yeah 4K is bad, but manageable, you can always switch over to 1080 if the situation calls for it.

Mainly it is lack of mainstream NLE support that is holding me back from picking up a NX1. But if I see it at the right price I will anyway!

BMD cameras are amazing (I own a BMPCC, which I reckon is their best one they sell currently), but not what I'd recommend as a person's first ILC or as their only camera. 

I agree the D750 is nice :-) But unless a person is doing half or more of their pro work in still photos too, then I wouldn't recommend it over a NX1/GH4/A7s/BMD.

Careful... if you play the "next camera" waiting game... you'll find yourself waiting forever! 

*IF* you are going to play the waiting game, at least pick up a cheap as NEX-5N / GH1 to hold you over and keep you busy until that "next camera" does come along. 

​I've been playing the "next camera" waiting game for a year, I was certain I wanted the GH4, but after closer inspection, had I purchased it, I wouldnt have liked it as much as I wanted. 

After checking some Raws a user here has sent me, Im totally confident the NX1 is a more than capable camera in stills, and videowise its still one of the best out there at an affordable price.

I dont expect the camera to last 5 years, but worst case scenario, I want a capable camera in 2-3 years time, that has the raw power needed to make semi professional videos.

​I've been playing the "next camera" waiting game for a year, I was certain I wanted the GH4, but after closer inspection, had I purchased it, I wouldnt have liked it as much as I wanted. 

After checking some Raws a user here has sent me, Im totally confident the NX1 is a more than capable camera in stills, and videowise its still one of the best out there at an affordable price.

I dont expect the camera to last 5 years, but worst case scenario, I want a capable camera in 2-3 years time, that has the raw power needed to make semi professional videos.

The NX1 is a great camera. Buy it and make something amazing.