Website Traffic - EOS kicking ass

Ed_David

I think criticism on anything one does is tough, in the real world or online when one can just quickly write something and hit send and not know the effect it has.

​Definitely. That's the artist's dilemma: hold back your work and miss out on appreciation, or put it out there and risk criticism. In the end, you just have to put yourself out there, roll with the punches, and keep your chin up. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There is a third option. You do the work, you put it out there, and you don't read the reviews (good or bad). The only feedback that means anything to me comes from people who are in the same creative arena I am. We have the same bumps and bruises. We share in the struggle to close that gap between the vision we see in our heads and the ability to execute that in the real world. But the sideline naysayers that offer nothing but a drive-by snipe can go fuck themselves as far as I'm concerned. They risk nothing and contribute even less.

• Administrators

EOSHD gets more views that reduser or dvxuser.com - that's impressive!

Hats off to Andrew's really interesting articles that find the latest tech and ideas to make our stuff look even better!

​Thank you... so nice to read compliments. And I agree on the topic in general, this forum has come on leaps and bounds in the last 2 years. Thanks to everyone who keeps it interesting.

this forum has come on leaps and bounds in the last 2 years.

​I think it's great that you don't agree with a lot of viewpoints on here, express yourself as assertively as you do, but let the discussions unfold relatively openly.

The free flow of thoughts positive and negative are okay by me.  The particular PC attitude that seems to believe that everyone needs to be insulated from contrary or even distasteful opinion is some weird sentiment if you ask me.  I'd rather be offended by a comment than bored by it.  

You know, I'd much prefer to let someone be insulting and stupid, imho, than ask them to shut up.  Maybe it's just my respect for my country's first amendment right as guaranteed by our constitution... ironically, so many over here think that right protects them from regular citizens or private entities telling them their opinions are ridiculous.

Anyway, it's great you let things happen.  Censorship is easy to spot and never looks favorably on those that do it, for whatever purpose.  If one's ideas and ideals are so weak that they can't withstand the slings and arrows of criticism, then those ideas and ideals are at issue, not the critique.

We share in the struggle to close that gap between the vision we see in our heads and the ability to execute that in the real world. But the sideline naysayers that offer nothing but a drive-by snipe can go fuck themselves as far as I'm concerned. They risk nothing and contribute even less.

​I really appreciate criticism.  

As long as it comes from people I respect.  If you're smart and do stuff that's worthwhile and that I'm impressed by, I'm going to listen to your opinion.  So, if you're on forums like these being overtly critical, you really should share your work so the person that's being criticized has a way to judge if the criticism is valid.

Knowing context is important. 

On the flip side, you can also discern context with simple clues.  For example, if you're a criticizer that reads a description of my film, sees that it's described numerous times as an impressionistic film, proceeds to buy it on Amazon.com, and then spends three paragraphs ranting that it's impressionistic film not a plot driven narrative --well, I can dismiss that criticizer quite easily and not take the insults too personally.

Discrimination is a much needed skill in creative endeavors.  It extends to accepting negative feedback.

Discrimination is a much needed skill in creative endeavors.  It extends to accepting negative feedback.

​definitely agree, but I also think artists need to be selective about where that critical feedback comes from. the real value in that kind of feedback comes from the sort of person who will say, "I think you have a problem here, let's sit down and see if we can figure it out."  any idiot can point at problems (i'm living proof of that! :) ). valuable feedback comes from people who are equipped to offer potential solutions with it.

​definitely agree, but I also think artists need to be selective about where that critical feedback comes from. the real value in that kind of feedback comes from the sort of person who will say, "I think you have a problem here, let's sit down and see if we can figure it out."  any idiot can point at problems (i'm living proof of that! :) ). valuable feedback comes from people who are equipped to offer potential solutions with it.

​I read in a book that the best creative writing students, as told by the teacher, really just at the end of the day, try to make themselves happy.  With that said, I think feedback is so vital towards anything - and being humble to accept it when it's good and know when it's bad, and when to trust your gut, and when not to.

It's tough, it's like being blind, being an artist.  No right answers to any of it.  And when you see something amazing, it can be so inspiring as well.  And subconsciously you try to make your own work speak to others like that piece of work spoke to you.

Dvxuser is a great "informative" site , but you defitnely cannot form an opinion there without being warned/banned or both. If you don't like someones project the mods encourage you to not even say anything, which imo leads to a "political" website where one can never say things the way they are. Same goes for Reduser and Bmcuser , but it all makes sense since they are more than likely owned by the same people.

EosHD definitely gives you the freedom to speak and that's one of the main reason I really like this site. If my work isn't good and someone mentions it, that's good. Now if I were on Dvxuser everyone would not reply or people would say they loved it, that's fake to me and something that imo doesn't help the community......

I've been on dvxuser since a decade for now. I've never stopped to publicly write whatever I wanted. And open to facing anyone when and if necessary. It doesn't matter if mods or even the founder (with whom I could found a healthy friendship, BTW) if and when necessary. Using a friendly tone? For sure, for same reason I came to defend Andrew more than once when people were used to attack him there. Not so far from now. Curious never to have seen no one else from outside doing the same. Anyways...

In Red's case, my calling them out for the Dragon underperforming in its specs considerably on their own forum - (especially the noise factor in that you can't shoot clean above 320 ASA or you have to use the low-light filter and that brings you back to about red epic mx levels but for 15k more)  probably hurt their feelings and hence why they banned me.  Because it's a forum for red and owned by red company.  So that wasn't so smart on my part.  Stirring up the hornet's nest.

Come on Ed, you know you're just spreading your new avatar :P and weren't banned on dvxuser, but only reduser AFAIK. It is not true they love to ban, on the contrary, they feel like to do it when people act there exactly just not trying to not embarass them ; ) As same as when you've played your clown part with that good joke on your video allegedly shot on an unreleased Weapon. Right, they take their business for serious. I couldn't reply you there once the thread is closed, I'm doing it right here. No good humor can save the grace if you're hurting their business. But, hey would anyone allow to break the bank account resources on the payroll bill when there are lots of people to whom to pay salaries in the end of each month? Or the solidarity blah blah only matches when stuff and staff are on our own or outside of this greedy camera industry in any rainbow-good-looking politically correct campaign, as for instance?

This is the thin red line to separate the artist from a real professional with bills to pay.

The fact is, trust me, they didn't ban you because you've greatly peed both President and CEO of the company in their backyard. They're used to on dvxuser, to begin with...

( BTW I've never seen a single ban there for such sin; as much as I am used to defend anyone when I see people are not there to defend themselves such as happened when eoshd has become notorius for a simple flaw of the humankind -- envy from whom didn't praise Andrew to see him to succeed </OT> )

...and they could have a fair good reason to have hard feelings, after all, they are human beings as same as me or you. One thing you wrote rather well, but I believe you were too short on your acknowledgement. People should have more gratitude on their contribution for the democratization of technology at sane prices in the hand of many. I still remember when artists had no other choice unless to ask for loans if we'd want to keep dreaming with a pro/broadcast standards going on our work. And as you said, you ended to be able to buy three examples of such. Their competitor's souvenir or not, few years earlier, not even one you'd buy with the same amount of money. Maybe some sorta proprietary branded accessory without which you couldn't finish your product? ;)

PS: That said, last but not least, I've pre-ordered the upcoming a7RII and I am enthusiastic to buy new stuff for: A Whole Hearted Thanks to JIm!

- E :-)

Dvx did ban me. It just doesnt show up under ones name as being banned. I like your response. The whole red weapon thing was a poltical trojan horse to show them all that drooling over the fufure unpromised camera is a giant waste of time. And boy did i get them. Yes their colorscience works on all red cameras. Thats the escret they dont want to get out. That a 6000 buck red one mx can look better than a 30000 buck red weapon if graded well. And it still overheats less probably.  That is bad for them. And if they were smart they would know jimmy jinnard billionare ceo threw the first stone.

I was just there to get back at them for how they treated geoff boyle and art adams. Important members of the filmmaking communittee.

I didnt expect to get banned fron dvx in the process. But reading about how they went after andrew. I wouldnt want to be a part of that club. Ill miss. No one. Cause i can email the person or call them. 

Banning people is dumb. So is having visable moderators whose emotions can get in the way. Like reds or dvxusers guys.  They are like the annonying school hall monitor trying to get brownie points.  Just keep mods invisable. Dont allow them to interact. Follow reddit and facebook and twitters example.  Banning is bad. Deleting is bad. Just close threads. Or people leave.

Zak, I'd really like to see Ed's posts there... Maybe you as dvxuser mod can do the diplomatic work, what do you say? BTW, with Andrew too. As I could write once on those same boards, internet wouldn't be the same for us -- friendly filmmakers ; ) without this unique resource of information; and obviously the same for Landmine territory : ) dvxuser / reduser / bmcuser (hey Kholi, someone is calling you :P), undoubtedly, both web corners have already gotten it.

We all know Ed is a terrific shooter and poster, even though, with a tough POV, as well :D He is the first one to know it. Isn't time to stop this hostility against each other between both sides of same coin??

Ed, there isn't "they" & "us", but we all share the same neighbourhood (and membership in both teams!) in plain diversity. Zak, me, you and many others (no wisdom able to beat Barry Green's hand) with frequent (and friendly, as much as possible ; )) presence on the best of both worlds.

So? Why not a simple move for better between partners of route?!

Time for a change, isn't it? Let's go with a very serious professional attitude as grown up parties, right?

Caesar's wife must be above suspicion *

Peace for all, Jason included :-**

E :-)

* In my native language, we're used to say in a slightly different use of words that's mandatory to Caesar's wife to SEEM rather serious, not only to be one of them (that is, a honest wife).

Correct. The best attitude anytime at any rate : ) The trouble is to handle everyone in the same frequency outside :D My point is to make a point. People need to understand the rules of the game. No breaks takes nowhere. Neither to not understand someone's else reasons or to not consider the other side as equal and as much respectable as we want to be accepted from. So, it serves as general reminder to all and each one of us. The world can be a better place if we put a little effort to.