Samsung NX500 Firmware Update

ESGI Media

​What are type of work do you do, and what are you looking to get out of your new camera? More detail? More resolution for cropping and stabilizing? Better colors? A more robust codec? RAW/10-bit? What camera are you coming from? 

​I never took the NX500 seriously until I gave it a search on Vimeo. Holy crap is that a lot of image quality for the price. In a nice small package, too! Not to mention excellent stills for hybrid shooters. 

​Unpopular opinion: I think the sweet spot for video resolution is somewhere between 2K and 4K. My favorite cameras in terms of detail rendering are the Blackmagic 2.5K and the Alexa 2.7/3.2K. It's more detailed and immersive than 1080p, but not distractingly or harshly so like 4K. We're already downsampling our sensors from larger MP counts--why not just aim for a slightly higher number? Surely 2.5K can't be that much harder than 1080p.

My only purpose for getting a new camera is for narrative work... no-budget shorts and features. I'm actually just finishing the sound mix on my first short. Currently, I have the eos-m and I freakin' love that little camera.

As I approach a few ideas I have for features, I am interested in 4K for future proofing and the weighty image I've found downrezzing 4K to 1080p affords  

A couple of months ago, I could have cared less about 4K, I still have, and love my JVC 720p TV.

Then I came up with an idea, that a gopro could be used in. I saw some footage from the gopro and it's protune settings and was pretty blown away by the 2.7K.  Everything I had seen was downsampled to 1080p and it had a weight to it's image quality that made normal 1080p look thin... Even with such a small sensor.

So, I did some more research and found there weren't too many options within my budget range. I looked at the LX-100 and then found it's baby brother... The FZ1000. 

But I love lenses, vintage lenses, so I wasn't very interested in a bridge camera until I saw this video...

http://vimeo.com/115947851

Since, this was the only camera I found, within my price range, I was set on this, but I wanted to wait until the summer to see if the price would drop a little... Plus I won't have the money until mid July.

In the meantime, the G7 was announced and in the back of my head, I am hoping the BMPCC will drop in price again. 

So, here I am trying to decide which camera to get and this little beast muddies the waters even more. 

Anyway, sorry for the long reply. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My only purpose for getting a new camera is for narrative work... no-budget shorts and features. I'm actually just finishing the sound mix on my first short. Currently, I have the eos-m and I freakin' love that little camera.

As I approach a few ideas I have for features, I am interested in 4K for future proofing and the weighty image I've found downrezzing 4K to 1080p affords  

A couple of months ago, I could have cared less about 4K, I still have, and love my JVC 720p TV.

Then I came up with an idea, that a gopro could be used in. I saw some footage from the gopro and it's protune settings and was pretty blown away by the 2.7K.  Everything I had seen was downsampled to 1080p and it had a weight to it's image quality that made normal 1080p look thin... Even with such a small sensor.

So, I did some more research and found there weren't too many options within my budget range. I looked at the LX-100 and then found it's baby brother... The FZ1000. 

But I love lenses, vintage lenses, so I wasn't very interested in a bridge camera until I saw this video...

http://vimeo.com/115947851

Since, this was the only camera I found, within my price range, I was set on this, but I wanted to wait until the summer to see if the price would drop a little... Plus I won't have the money until mid July.

In the meantime, the G7 was announced and in the back of my head, I am hoping the BMPCC will drop in price again. 

So, here I am trying to decide which camera to get and this little beast muddies the waters even more. 

Anyway, sorry for the long reply. 

​Okay, now I'm getting the picture. 

Correct me if I'm off: you like small size, want more robust files for 1080p delivery, and don't want to spend a ton of money. 

It sounds like you're debating between some high end compact/bridge cameras and small mirrorless ILCs. Here's the question that'll cut your list in half. Do you want to change lenses? 

​Okay, now I'm getting the picture. 
Correct me if I'm off: you like small size, want more robust files for 1080p delivery, and don't want to spend a ton of money. 

It sounds like you're debating between some high end compact/bridge cameras and small mirrorless ILCs. Here's the question that'll cut your list in half. Do you want to change lenses? 

You're not wrong at all... Pretty spot on. I have a really nice collection of FD and Minolta MC lenses. Plus a set of Pentax K version lenses, 110 lenses, a set of Nikkors. A set of vintage cosmicar lenses that I currently use with my Q7, but picked up in case I ever get the BMPCC.

Long story short... I have a lot of lenses. So, the ability to change lenses would be a plus, but one of the projects I am working on, will benefit from the run and gun advantages a fixed lens would give.

You're not wrong at all... Pretty spot on. I have a really nice collection of FD and Minolta MC lenses. Plus a set of Pentax K version lenses, 110 lenses, a set of Nikkors. A set of vintage cosmicar lenses that I currently use with my Q7, but picked up in case I ever get the BMPCC.

Long story short... I have a lot of lenses. So, the ability to change lenses would be a plus, but one of the projects I am working on, will benefit from the run and gun advantages a fixed lens would give.

​Then I definitely think the G7 or BMPCC are your cameras, depending whether you want higher overall image quality or improved ergonomics and hybrid shooting. If you need a secondary camera for run and gun, the RX100 Mark II has a pretty nice 1080p image and can be had for $200-300 on ebay. 

You could pop your lenses on the NX500, but you'll be cropping them so much it'll hardly be worth it. The camera seems to work best with native lenses or Canikon APS-C stuff. 

​Then I definitely think the G7 or BMPCC are your cameras, depending whether you want higher overall image quality or improved ergonomics and hybrid shooting. If you need a secondary camera for run and gun, the RX100 Mark II has a pretty nice 1080p image and can be had for $200-300 on ebay. 
You could pop your lenses on the NX500, but you'll be cropping them so much it'll hardly be worth it. The camera seems to work best with native lenses or Canikon APS-C stuff. 

Yeah, you're probably right. I am still kicking myself for not buying the BMPCC last summer and now I feel like I am getting robbed if I can't get one for $500. I have a feeling they may lower the price again. 

Yeah, you're probably right. I am still kicking myself for not buying the BMPCC last summer and now I feel like I am getting robbed if I can't get one for $500. I have a feeling they may lower the price again. 

​Hopefully. I just bought mine a month ago for $700, but it came with $250 worth of accessories. 

• Super Members

​I have an extra BMPCC for sale for $500.
The low price is because like on many if not most of them, the hdmi is glitchy. I have to hold the cable in a certain spot to get image in my external monitor.
Haven't noticed since I never ever use anything but the internal display. Don't even know when it happened.
Can throw in a fist full of batteries ;)

We're adressing the issue that existed in the nx500, where there was no dedicated video mode, meaning you go into photo mode which is s35 then you need to press Trashcan button to get into the corrrect video framing/crop. If it stopped there it would be fine, just an extra step, the problem was that each time you record a clip it reverted back to the s35 photo crop, so you had to press a button to get correct framing before each take and after performing any setting changes. 

Was that fixed with this new firmware? 

​Yes. Did you read the first post?: "Remains in Stand By mode after recording." Just push that button, and you are in video mode until you turn off the camera or push the shutter button (not the video record button). So, a dedicated video mode that still enables you to use the PASM dial - better than the GH3, GH4. You can stay in video mode the whole session shooting clip after clip. It's now a real video camera.

​I have an extra BMPCC for sale for $500.The low price is because like on many if not most of them, the hdmi is glitchy. I have to hold the cable in a certain spot to get image in my external monitor.
Haven't noticed since I never ever use anything but the internal display. Don't even know when it happened.
Can throw in a fist full of batteries ;)

Thanks for the offer, sounds like a great deal, but I have a couple more weeks of saving and deciding before I am ready for my upgrade. 

Great price. What kind of work do you do?

​I'm a film student, so the Blackmagic has become my A-camera on projects. Shane Hurlbut highly recommended it as a camera to learn on and grow into, and I'm finding it's great for that. Beautiful image, excellent DR, sharp enough for anything, and it really makes you think about your shots. I have yet to shoot anything serious on it, but hopefully I'll have a chance to crank out a short before summer ends. 

I also film events now and then for side cash, and the RX10 has become my main camera on those. It's so versatile and easy to use that I'm actually in the process of selling my GH3. The Sony's IQ is pretty much identical, and it's much more flexible with more features. I also like it for casual stills and video--friends' birthday parties, walking around, family get-togethers, etc. I haven't tried intercutting it with Pocket footage yet, but it might make a good shot-grabber/faux steadicam B-cam. My only dilemma is the 4K update coming up...I may have to sell it and shell out the extra few hundred to upgrade. 

The RX10's just okay for stills, though, and I'm craving a bigger sensor for my FD and Minolta glass. The Pocket is great, but even with a speedbooster I'm looking at a 2x crop on my vintage stuff, and my widest lens is a 48mm equivalent--which means if I go with FD or Minolta for a project, I'll need to supplement it with a native lens that won't match the look. I was also considering the NX500, but you can't take a 2.4x crop out of the middle of a vintage 135 format lens and expect it to perform. Besides, then I can't use my amazing SLR Magic lenses. So right now I'm looking at the NX1, G7, GH4, or A7s. Leaning toward the GH4 because I still have a ton of batteries, want that 10-bit HDMI out, and would love to have another body that'll take my SLR Magic glass. 

Hopefully, all the bluster over the A7R II will flood the market with cheap used cameras for us to choose from. :D

​I'm a film student, so the Blackmagic has become my A-camera on projects. Shane Hurlbut highly recommended it as a camera to learn on and grow into, and I'm finding it's great for that. Beautiful image, excellent DR, sharp enough for anything, and it really makes you think about your shots. I have yet to shoot anything serious on it, but hopefully I'll have a chance to crank out a short before summer ends. 
I also film events now and then for side cash, and the RX10 has become my main camera on those. It's so versatile and easy to use that I'm actually in the process of selling my GH3. The Sony's IQ is pretty much identical, and it's much more flexible with more features. I also like it for casual stills and video--friends' birthday parties, walking around, family get-togethers, etc. I haven't tried intercutting it with Pocket footage yet, but it might make a good shot-grabber/faux steadicam B-cam. My only dilemma is the 4K update coming up...I may have to sell it and shell out the extra few hundred to upgrade. 

The RX10's just okay for stills, though, and I'm craving a bigger sensor for my FD and Minolta glass. The Pocket is great, but even with a speedbooster I'm looking at a 2x crop on my vintage stuff, and my widest lens is a 48mm equivalent--which means if I go with FD or Minolta for a project, I'll need to supplement it with a native lens that won't match the look. I was also considering the NX500, but you can't take a 2.4x crop out of the middle of a vintage 135 format lens and expect it to perform. Besides, then I can't use my amazing SLR Magic lenses. So right now I'm looking at the NX1, G7, GH4, or A7s. Leaning toward the GH4 because I still have a ton of batteries, want that 10-bit HDMI out, and would love to have another body that'll take my SLR Magic glass. 

Hopefully, all the bluster over the A7R II will flood the market with cheap used cameras for us to choose from. :D

When I was younger, film school was out of fashion. Kevin Smith and Tarrantino and Rodriguez were just making movies. I had less money then than I do now, so I took up screenwriting. I must have bought every book written on the topic. 20 years later and I can finally afford some equipment. I should have gone to film school... Learn discipline... Networking.

After I got the t2i, I had zero money for any good glass and the kit lens is... A piece of kit lens. So I started buying cheap vintage lenses and became kinda addicted to vintage glass. It took me a while to build up my sets and now I probably have too much. I read you said you have FDs and Minoltas... Me too. Awesome effing lenses. I recently picked up the Minolta MC 35mm 1.8... Amazing lens. 

I will probably end up with the G7, but I am going to wait until the body only is available, save a couple bucks. Unless, the pocket has another Summer sale... Then I am definitely on that. These Cosmicar c-mount lenses are dying to be on another camera other than my Pentax Q7. Which SLR Magic lenses do you have? I saw a video not too long ago of the 11mm Toy Lens on the pocket... I was surprised how nice the footage looks.