Panasonic G6 + Canon FD 28mm, color corrected Berlin Fleamarket footage, okay on your displays?, good ffmpeg settings for vimeo?

PannySVHS

Hallo fellow cinephiles and gear maniacs:)

short story short: does video below look okay on your monitors? Shot Natural on G6 all -2 except color 0 and did little changes to rgb channels and

overall contrast. Very happy with G6! Better battery life would rule. For video the 20mm perspective of the Lumix 20mm was too exagerrating

for me in some instances. A classic 28mm deals with that much better as a general purpose lens.

On my I7 2600k vimeo playback in HD is jerky and SD playback is a blocky mess. Anybody of you guys knowing some compression settings with ffmpeg

for a great vimeo upload quality for SD and HD playback? I´ve seen videos on vimeo looking great in SD resolution.

Sorry for posting the same question again. But maybe my headline was not fitting enough or my text was not enough to the point.

Thank you and best regards,

Marty

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks handheld and too shaky to me. Would benefit to have some sort of small shoulder rig when shooting without stabilised lenses.

Also the video is slightly overexposed for my preference. Highlights look washed out. I would have probably exposed 1/1,5 stops darker.

Hallo Antonis

thank you for your reply. Otherwise does footage look okay on your monitor color and compression wise?

This my first test footage with a manual lens. No rig, that´s right:) With a fly by wire focus it would have been even unsteadier at least with mine.

I am still looking for good conversion settings for vimeo. The SD file of my footage from vimeo looks terrible. Would be using Avidemux, FFmpeg or

other opensource/ freeware suggestions. Any hints and tips would be highly appreciated.

Did that little color correction with a Testversion of Videopad. Nice and straight forward user interface, but preview window is small and response

for color correction on I7 2600K without dedicated GfxCard is so la la.

Might be Vimeo quality suffer from that program already? Converted file looks great on my monitor, its just that HD vimeo has jerky playback on my computer and

SD looks awful. Converted the MTS file into H264 24 frames. Should I convert to 30p? These are my first practical steps into digital video.

Any advise is very appreciated. best regards and thank you.

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/5216-getting-the-best-footage-on-vimeo/#comment-55339

When I began filming I read some books and when I bought my first digital camera I bought the GH2 guide from Andrew. That helped a lot! Otherwise I just can second Antonis: Your footage is overexposed and washed out. I prefer it more steady as well. I also like the Canon FD lenses and use them often together with a cheap lensturbo.

Hallo Rudolf,

yes, some great books have been named around here, like that one great one on grading or "shot by shot".

Oh, you don´t believe, how exited I was just to touch that manual fitted onto my G6, shakiness didnt bother me at that moment.

I´m pretty happy how the corrected colors look and agree on the highlights, they are too washed out.

Thank you for the link. It seems the current version of videopad doesnt allow export to x264. Since this will

be my editing tool for my little project, I guess I depend on the quality I got on vimeo so far.

Anyone on videopad and it´s options on converting footage? It has ffmpeg plugins, but in verson 4.08 no x264, as far as I was able to recognize.

Advice on the converting, bitrate and X264 options with videopad are greatly thanked for. The link above states, triple or more the bitrate for

your material before upload. Videopad doesnt seem to allow that.

Thanks and regards

Hallo Midoloch aka Bushmanfilm!

I´ve been following your work for a while. Really loved the Yoga India one. Really awesome stuff with the G6, would be worth any camera!

Your posted recent piece is professional with a clean n mean:) look. Great work!

My vid was a tester for the manual FD lens and some profile testing for the harsh sunlight. I felt it was kind of a nice

so called organic look. Maybe it´s my monitor. Does the vid run smooth in HD and full screen when steamed on vimeo?

Your vid runs smooth on Vimeo in HD and full screen. What frame rate did you shoot (completely 50p)? And what

frame rate did you convert to when compressed or rendered? What codec did you render with? What else could be helpful to know about

the vimeo "problem"? Thanks for helping out! By the way, you were the main guy getting me hooked on FD. Andy Lee got so many

other great lens and lensmount suggestions, I lost my sight:)

Regards

Hi PannySVHS!

glad to hear this :-) FDs are great and I use them a lot but now I test Tokina ATX Pro 28-70mm F2.6-2.8 + Zhyongi speedbooster used in last part of this video and it seems to have much better look than FDs. Your vid is vere very shaky and it is hard to say if there is something bad in codec or renderig. If I were you I would make it again using tripod, upload on vimeo and then you can see if there is any problem or not.

Mostly I shoot 24p but if I need to slow down the footage I use 50p. I work with Sony Vegas pro12 so if there are two different frame rates shots I click "disable resamle" and render to 24p .mxf format. I think that this has the best result and there are no problems on Vimeo and it is goes smoothly.

Midloch

Good evening:) Midloch,

Thank for you very much for your answer! So I think I´ll use 24p for rendering with my Testversion of Videopad. Guess I gonna buy it.

Was´nt able to pick suggested X264 codec for converting for vimeo and such. I rendered in 23.87, so gonna go for 24p.

Anybody with hands on and experience with Videopad? Thanks guys for your help.

Great to finally made the step buying a G6. Great suggestions I´ve been finding on this forum. Good that I didnt spend all on a GH4.

By the way, would feel kind odd with a rig trying to fly under the radar at a public place:)

I´ve seen some great handheld footage outthere. Never thought it to be that tricky!

Thanks guys and Cheers

Hallo guys,

Thank you for your replies! Mercer, yes, gorrilla pod seems like a great idea. I shot a short this weekend with an beautiful sirui photo tripod.

Highly flexible legs helped for being used as a shoulder pad and camera arm and so. But sometimes one or two legs were a little bit in the way for camera movements.

First time in my life that I rented lights and preamps. My first short for sixteen years. What an adventure. G6 turned out to be a great choice!

Shot all on my FD 28 without focal reducer. It´s really a beautiful and very useful all purpose lens. After the shoot I received my Camdiox Focalreducer.

But that one has a loose fit on the m43 mount. After mounting the FD, it almost didnt come off, because a pin was within too tight tolerances. After struggling

unmounting it, it was bent. Did everything right, since I got used to mounting to my normal m43-FD adapter.

Unfortunately that Speedbooster clone from Camdios- not really recommended from my point of view. Don´t know, if Camdiox is the same as RJ.

So, anyhow, happy to post the result pretty soon. And, still my question, how do I implement X264 Codec for conversion in Videopad?

I can only pick H264 for rendering. Thanks you all!

best regards, Marty

I have the M43 - Nikon F lens turbo (the one with an orange Zhongyi logo on top). Not sure if that's the same as the Camdios one. It fits very snugly on the Panny G6, almost zero wiggle, but it was very very tight on the OMD-EM5, at first I thought it wouldn't fit on, you had to really push it into the mount before twisting to click, and you could feel it grinding slightly as you locked it in. No damage to the mount that I could see though (have sold the EM5 since), and it meant there was absolutely no wiggle on the EM5.

I've never heard of videopad, so I can't really help you there.

I've experimented with various types of upload to Vimeo (H264 and the lowest bitrate ProRes), but can't really see much difference to the stream once Vimeo has added its compression. I think Vimeo streaming quality is generally pretty good (as long as you're not adding film grain).