What memory card should i buy for GH4?

JackHorror

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm exclusively using SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC 64GB 95MB/s cards. SanDisk has proven themselves with the Extreme Pro series which I went with for the GH2 back in the day. Not the cheapest though.

Lots of people I guess are using the fast Transcend cards as well, which are a bit more affordable. Samsung's PRO-line seems decent too.

You don't need the fastest cards available. 4K @ 100mbps is only 12.5MB/s! 1080p @ 200mbps is 25MB/s. A card that's rated at 30MB/s will be plenty fast.

Here's a test with cheap Transcend cards: http://suggestionofmotion.com/blog/panasonic-gh4-memory-card-testing/

Even the high end Transcend cards are really cheap. Transcend SDXC UHS-I U3 Ultimate 64GB costs like €30 here. I've used Transcend cards for years without problems.

I have bad experiences with Transcend and Kingston. Perhaps they've upped their game in the last years, might well be, but I'm loyal to SanDisk now already.

Handled hacked GH2 bitrates like a boss for spanning and eversince still is my go to kind of card whether it being the GH2, GH4, BMPCC, D5300, LX100 or FZ1000 I'm shooting with. Might be a bit pricier... but hey, if you're shooting CF's full of ML RAW on a 5DmkIII for example I imagine storage is going to be quite expensive too. In the end you need to be able to trust your cards, because well... you know: captured footage is king. It's the one thing that really needs to be done right. So I feel more relaxed paying a couple of bucks extra, but knowing that I've got stuff that served me and many others well for years.

I have bad experiences with Transcend and Kingston. Perhaps they've upped their game in the last years, might well be, but I'm loyal to SanDisk now already.

Handled hacked GH2 bitrates like a boss for spanning and eversince still is my go to kind of card whether it being the GH2, GH4, BMPCC, D5300, LX100 or FZ1000 I'm shooting with. Might be a bit pricier... but hey, if you're shooting CF's full of ML RAW on a 5DmkIII for example I imagine storage is going to be quite expensive too. In the end you need to be able to trust your cards, because well... you know: captured footage is king. It's the one thing that really needs to be done right. So I feel more relaxed paying a couple of bucks extra, but knowing that I've got stuff that served me and many others well for years.

​I've heard bad things about Transcends customer service but I've never had one fail. I always keep a backup in the C100 second slot as well. My guess is it's just luck of the draw with cards failing.

I honestly love Transcend cards: cheap, fast and reliable! I have the 64GB UHS-1 Ultimate card and it writes at 30MB/s and it reads at 96MB/s even it's rated at 45 max!

I believe when you buy Sandisk cards you're paying for the brand since they could be as fast or faster at times but it's a writing speed you don't even need!

I use PNY Elite cards and never had an issue in any of the recording modes except 1080p 200mbps All-i, but it only has happened twice and I rarely record in that resolution.

half the price of the sandisk but very similar performance in my opinion

Sequential Read = 83.4 MByte/sec
Random Read = 4.1 MByte/sec
Sequential Write= 62.7 MByte/sec
Random Write= 864.0 kByte/sec

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-Performance-Speed-Class/dp/B00HIKBW1G