Nikon D5500 - Recommended lens for a video project

Smoulders

Hi there

I'm fairly new to this, so please bare with me.

Im planning on shooting some instructional videos in a music studio where there is no natural light, but I will be buying a couple of lights to brighten things up. Im not necessarily going for a cinematic look, the images just need to be very clear.

I will be using a Nikon D5500 (I have no kit lens with it) to do the filming and have been considering the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G. I'm now a bit worried that it might not be wide enough as the studio space is quite small. I did some test footage with my current camera a Canon SX510HS (a compact bridge style camera) and at its widest setting I was just about able to fit everything in, in the relatively small studio.

Im only now getting my head around focal lengths and cropped size cameras such as the d5500. On the lens of the Canon Power shot it says 4.3 - 129mm (it has a tiny sensor!). In a review I just read it says

'At wide-angle, it starts at a 35mm equivalent of 24mm and goes out to 720mm at full zoom.'

I have a nasty feeling this means that the Nikon 35mm 1.8 I was hoping to get with the D5500 will not be as wide as the Canon's widest setting which I was able to just fit everything into the shot. Could someone confirm exactly what that means? Im guesing by 35mm equivalent the reviewer means a full frame camera and am struggling to visualise how this might compare to the DX 1.8 angle of view.

I'm keen to do plenty of unrelated photography and video with whatever lens I get and as I am on a tight budget the 35mm 1.8 seemed perfect, but the instructional videos are a priority and if im not going to fit everything in the shot I will need to get something else and then consider the 1.8 further down the line.

Perhaps someone could recommend another lens that might work in this situation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Nick

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you need 24mm at 35mm equivalent then it's 24/1.6 (crop factor FX<->DX) = 15mm. That would for example be a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 (II). More here.

- ah, excuse me, as King Julian pointed out correctly a few comments below of course the Canon APS-C format cameras are the ones with 1.6x crop. For Nikon it's 1.5x. Honest mistake.

If you need 24mm at 35mm equivalent then it's 24/1.6 (crop factor FX<->DX) = 15mm. That would for example be a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 (II). More here.

​Hi Cinegain. Thanks alot for the response. Thats a shame, I hoped I had got my angles mixed up and the 35mm DX would suffice! Also a shame that Tokina is a bit more pricey and I gather I won't get an awful lot of general photography use out of it either (this will be my only lens for a bit)? As I say the priority is doing the video, but I was very excited about getting out there and taking some pics to! It might be a case of saving some extra pennies and just biting the bullet.

Is hiring a lens an option for you? The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 might be a good fit for this scenario, as it offers a 27mm-equivalent wide end, and should zoom in enough to handle any close-ups.

​Hi David. That would be lovely, but hiring isnt really an option as It will be an ongoing project where I'l be filming on regular weekends.

Thanks very much for the replies.

Cheers

Nick

The Nikon D5500 is a DX camera with a crop factor of 1.5x. To get the equivalent focal lenght in fullframe, you have to multiply by 1.5 (not 1.6, that's Canon only). So the 35mm is 35 x 1,5 =52,5mm. The 24-720mm on your powershot is also the fullframe equivalent. So yes, the powershot is a lot wider.

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 is an excellent lens. It's not cheap, but absolutely worth the money. You don't have a lens yet, you want to do photography and video, you'll need some glass. The Sigma is a great investment for both photography and video. It will give you a 27-52,5mm equivalent, so it's not extremely wide.

If you really don't have a budget, pick up a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens somewhere for next to nothing (2nd hand they should go really cheap). It will give you the same angle as the Sigma, just not the same aperture. But if you have lights f/3.5 should be ok and the D5500 is good at higher iso values anyway.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/981716-REG/samyang_sy16maf_n_16mm_f2_0_ultra_wide_abngle.html

this prime lens will equal in a fov of 24mm on full frame. Really good lens and a really fast f2 aperture which is handy for low light. The only con is that its manual focus but for video that do not matter as you wont be using auto focus.

I've learnt quite a bit just from this thread. Thanks for the tip. That seems pretty decent value. Definately one to consider.

The Nikon D5500 is a DX camera with a crop factor of 1.5x. To get the equivalent focal lenght in fullframe, you have to multiply by 1.5 (not 1.6, that's Canon only). So the 35mm is 35 x 1,5 =52,5mm. The 24-720mm on your powershot is also the fullframe equivalent. So yes, the powershot is a lot wider.

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 is an excellent lens. It's not cheap, but absolutely worth the money. You don't have a lens yet, you want to do photography and video, you'll need some glass. The Sigma is a great investment for both photography and video. It will give you a 27-52,5mm equivalent, so it's not extremely wide.

If you really don't have a budget, pick up a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens somewhere for next to nothing (2nd hand they should go really cheap). It will give you the same angle as the Sigma, just not the same aperture. But if you have lights f/3.5 should be ok and the D5500 is good at higher iso values anyway.

​Thanks for the detailed reply. Wow, even with my limited knowledge, that Sigma seems an impossibility? Just watched an amazing review of it. Would love to splash the cash on something like that which would no doubt mean I wouldn't buy another lens for a little while (im already trying to convince myself). Buying the cheap kit lens to get the video done is also a very good option. I probably shoudlnt have gone for Body only, and got that to begin with.

I now have a huge amount of food for thought and so really appreciate everyones input. This forum is amazing!

Cheers

Nick

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yup your powershot is 24mm FF equivalent, so to get the same on the D5500 you need a 16mm lens. 

The widest cheap lens you can get is the Nikon 18-55mm VR, which is not bad AT ALL and at the 18mm end is F/3.5, 

I believe it will get your job done beautifully, especially if you add some lights. 

Treat it as a 18mm F/3.5 prime. 

And then you have the money to buy a normal fast lens for beauty/shallow depth if field shots and portraits and lowlight, like the 35mm F1.8G or the 50mm F/1.8G. 

I find that I can shoot anything, absolutely any video with a prime like the two mentioned above, and the 18mm wide end on the kit lens for wide shots. 

You don't need to spend too much to get very high quality video these days. 

That s my advice for your situation. A 35/50mm 1.8 prime + 18-55mm kit lens. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Thanks Ebrahim

I've been away for a week with no internet so couldnt reply. 2nd hand kit lens and a 35 or 50 prime sound like a good option. I am going to get something sorted this week.

Cheers

Nick

Keep this in mind: 

1- About the 18-55mm Nikkor since you'll go for 2nd hand

Make sure you get the newer version. Nikon made three, 18-55mm without VR (Vibration Reduction), 18-55mm VR, and the latest 18-55mm VR retractable version (which can collapse into a smaller size when not in-use). 

Make sure you get the VR version or the retractable one. The VR is as good optically and not much bigger than the retractable, both will be fine. Just don't get one without  the VR badge on it.

2- About the prime 

There are two generations of Nikon Primes currently

-AF-D lenses and G lenses. 

The AF-D lenses will NOT autofocus with your D5500, they will only AF with the D7000 series and up, thus you'll have to rely on manually focusing by the focus ring, which is what you're going to do anyway for video but you want AF for stills so keep it in mind.

Let me lay down to you the available prime lenses currently available from Nikon as  it's a bit complicated! 

*Manual focus only on the D5500

-50mm F/1.8 AF-D: 130$

Will not AF with the D5500, only manual focus, and the focus ring is terrible on that version, I don't recommend this lens at all for a D5500 because since it will be manual focus only, you're much better off buying the:

-50mm F/1.8 Ai-S: used lower than 100$

These are the older fully-manual Nikkor 50mm Ai-S lenses which are designed with buttery smooth focus rings for manual focus and are suited for video use. The old 50mm F/1.8 Ai/Ai-S are very popular among videographers for their superb image quality and smooth mechanics as videographers don't use AF anyway. 

-50mm F/1.4 AF-D: 330$ 

Like the F/1.8 D but with a larger F/1.4 aperture. Won't AF with the D5500 (it's an AF-D lens), but the 1.4 aperture gives it an advantage over 1.8 lenses in lowlight situations, and this lens is a one I personally like, smooth mechanics and a good focus rings and a smooth aperture ring on the lens body. 

*Autofocus capable options

-50mm F/1.8 G: 216$

Will AF and fully work with the D5500 and it has a larger more pleasing body and focus ring than the AF-D. This is a very good lens, the one I recommend if you're planning to use the lens for both video and stills. 

-50mm F/1.4 G: 440$

Fully compatiable with the D5500 with AF. Like the 1.8 G but faster, so better in lowlight and delivers more background blur 

-35mm F/1.8 G: 190$ 

Fully compatiable with the D5500 with AF. It's very similar to the 50mm 1.8 G but wider at 35mm, and it's a DX lens so if you upgrade to FF in the future it will not work, all the 50mm are FF compatiable. Because the lens is wider, it's not very flattering for portrait subject as you need to get close, and as it doesn't produce as much background blur as the 50mm F/1.8. I advice going with a 50mm since you'll have the kit lens as the wide option as the 50mm will produce more distinct images and pleasing portraits and closeups of people/subjects. 

I'm really not trying to bump this thread but people keep being incredibly helpful and need to be thanked. That is some great info on the Nikon Primes. I was indeed finding it overwhelming and you have really helped to clear that stuff up.

In the end, (I still can't believe I have done this) I ordered the Sigma 18-35mm. I figured I am hoping to get pretty serious with this and it seems to be a few primes rolled into one.

I can handle beans on toast for a year or two!

Thanks again for all the fantastic help from everybody

Nick