Special Opinion to EOSHD Regarding A7S MkII

Dear EOSHD,

First of all I was not sure where to post this question on your forum, hope this doesn't rustle your jimmies :)

With regards to the recent A7R II announcement, I am really quite excited. Not for the A7R II, but for the amazing surely soon to come A7S II. What excites me about the prospect of this new A7S is the following:

• Internal 4k, and probably clean 4k out. I am not sure if the internal will be the same quality being sent out through the UHDMI(?) port, but it will surely be high enough for end video use.
  • High video color bit depth? That one bummed me on the first A7S. Only 8-bit video. Maybe with the new A7S they will have 10 bit internal? If not surely 10 bit through the UHDMI port.
  • Rolling shutter fixed! This one got me pumped. I remember first seeing your test video many moons ago about the sony A7S horrid rolling shutter. I didn't even consider it until the low light was shown!
  • IN BODY IMAGE STABILIZATION (droolz)
  • Again, the amazing cropped sensor ability so we can use the metabones speedbooster with it :D
  • Form factor of the GH4 again.
  • Minor thing, the A7 series of cameras are compatible with a Sony XLR audio mount for the hotshoe that allows for two xlr plug in mics. Hopefully the A7S II will be just as compatible.
  • TRUE 4K HD. I didn't know the A7S only did UHD until I did some research. Dunno that extra, (what, 7%?) would be nice
  • Better battery life?
  • Increased bitrate for video (instead of 50, how about 80?)
  • ANAMORPHIC SUPPORT OMG PLEZE

Now if all of this can come in at under $4k, I think Sony will pretty much murder the crud out of not only all of Canon's DSLR's, but also their cinema line cameras. I dunno about you but I think the sony A7S II will literally be the end all camera for the next 4 years. It would be cheaper and more versatile than any of the cinema cameras, would have just enough functionality but not enough to replace the fs7 and its sure to come updates, and the image quality will be so amazing that RAW would look even more like a silly investment.

What's your take on this? It could also be possible that the A7S II will have even better low light, better dynamic range, and, just, well I'm drooling thinking about it quite honestly. How PUMPED are you for the A7S II?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm sure it will be great, buy why do you always have to drag canon in this. Yes, they don't make a camera as good as this, maybe they never will. There have alway been better cameras than canon, yet somehow they survived...funny isn't it. I film different kind of events, news, tv series whatever 3 days a week every week. Wharever I film you we either have a crew photografer, if it's news gathering there is always tons of pro photographers and a hefty crowd of bystanders looking at whats going on. 

What there bystanders see as well is all the canon/nikon straps around the pro photographer cameras. I have never seen ony using a sony, maybe a pentax here and there and thats it. So, as long as it stays like that canon/nikon have nothing to wory about...and obviously they don't. 

If it's good enough for the pros it is good enough for anybody. 

I use a a7s alot and it's great and good fun to be able to overexpose in the dark, bu I can and I have filmed the same eventa even with a 550d and the clients never saw any diference.

I will be filming a car review show in the fall and in the tryouts they wanted me to use a Canon dslr, so I dusted of my 550d, shot the show and got the gig. They want me to shoot the whole season with it...and I gladly will! If I drop it or it comes undone from the hood mount it will cost me less than what I make in a day to replace it...i love it!

Once again I will say that a7s II will have 4K60p to differentiate it from a7r II. Keep the 12mpx and leave the super 35 crop 4K to a7r II and FS7 (can't have it all). This would be in line with Sony's strategy to bring something completely innovative to the market every 6 months.

Man, i think it will be out soon (maybe for September ?), and i wish it would have killer specs :

- Lower resolution Full frame sensor then killer sensitivity due to the size of photosites

- Higher scanning rates then less rolling shutter side effects (Killa spec knowing way bigger cameras only propose it, can't take the Alexa off of my mind)

- High speed frame rates to maybe 120 fps @ 1080 pixels vertically

- Internal UHD

- 8 bits luma only (poor i'm ok with that...)

- Internal Sensor stabilization (yummy...)

- S-Log 2 wish it was 3...

Wish it was possible thanks to a better hardware (processor and ram only... as i think replacing the aluminium by copper will not make a 3,5x speed gain itself... Resistance can vary between aluminium and copper, but not by a 3,5x factor...)

With these specs, i think i could make an upgrade of my personal gear. C'mon Sony !!!!! Let our dreams come true !!!!!!!

I'm sure it will be great, buy why do you always have to drag canon in this. Yes, they don't make a camera as good as this, maybe they never will. There have alway been better cameras than canon, yet somehow they survived...funny isn't it. I film different kind of events, news, tv series whatever 3 days a week every week. Wharever I film you we either have a crew photografer, if it's news gathering there is always tons of pro photographers and a hefty crowd of bystanders looking at whats going on. 

What there bystanders see as well is all the canon/nikon straps around the pro photographer cameras. I have never seen ony using a sony, maybe a pentax here and there and thats it. So, as long as it stays like that canon/nikon have nothing to wory about...and obviously they don't. 

If it's good enough for the pros it is good enough for anybody. 

I use a a7s alot and it's great and good fun to be able to overexpose in the dark, bu I can and I have filmed the same eventa even with a 550d and the clients never saw any diference.

I will be filming a car review show in the fall and in the tryouts they wanted me to use a Canon dslr, so I dusted of my 550d, shot the show and got the gig. They want me to shoot the whole season with it...and I gladly will! If I drop it or it comes undone from the hood mount it will cost me less than what I make in a day to replace it...i love it!

​I have been using my canon 7D since 2011. I love it. I just wish Canon would give me a reason to stay. Alas, they have not. Only reason I stayed with my 7D is because of Magic Lantern, and now that Premiere pro supports raw native color correction I see even less reason to upgrade, at least until the sony a7sII :D

I TAKE THAT BACK. New Lumetri color update is not ACR as feared. Doesnt give full control over colors. Not satisfied. Time to get Davinci Resolve. Tired of this Adobe not implementing ACR in premiere. Just done with it. I can see this being really handy with my h.264 video footage and the likes, but not with RAW.

The killer mod for an A72 would be internal ND's. If it can't be done for multiples why not a slot to slide in behind the lens ND's like old Panavision cameras. That would be the feature that would makes this a completely film and photo friendly cam. Not sure stills makers never ponder behind the lens ND's if they want to edge the competition.