Magic lantern raw sample?

BrorSvensson

Hi! Im looking into getting a 50d to try out raw video and see if i like it and i wonder if any of you guys have some straight out of camera raw canon clips i can mess around with? It does not matter what canon dslr you shot it with as long as its magic lantern raw.

Thanks in advance

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A lot depends on the lens and whether you shoot crop mode or not.  Also, it's difficult to see what RAW is all about until you do some comparisons of the same thing yourself.   For example, here is one of the first RAW sequences I filmed with a 50D (A while ago).  I knew what H.264 would have looked like.  I did some comparisons.  RAW has a rich film look.  A lot depends on what you want to do.  You're lucky!  MLRawViewer now makes it easy to work with ML RAW.  You can view, make basic adjustments, and export to high quality MOV or Cineform.  It's so good I bought a 50D again though I have a BMPCC.

Raw is becoming more appealing to me now. In the past I've avoided it b/c of the workflow and storage space. The new Premiere CC 2015 has native Raw controls within the timeline. That's a huge selling point for editing with Raw in my opinion. Storage is getting cheaper. Waiting to see what the Micro Cinema Camera images look like and hopefully they avoid that awful aliasing and color moire that the pocket had.

• Super Members

Raw is becoming more appealing to me now. In the past I've avoided it b/c of the workflow and storage space. The new Premiere CC 2015 has native Raw controls within the timeline. That's a huge selling point for editing with Raw in my opinion. Storage is getting cheaper. Waiting to see what the Micro Cinema Camera images look like and hopefully they avoid that awful aliasing and color moire that the pocket had.

CC has had that since 2014 and I use it from time to time. But even if they improve on it there is still to much missing in the tool box.

After Effects or Resolve is still the way to go imo.

And I'm kinda done waiting for Premiere to learn how to grade. Specially now when Resolve has learned how to edit.

If everything works in R12 like announced I will finish up my current project and then switch completely. 

This is why I love CC, you can bail out and comeback whenever without loosing money. Subscription  ftw :)

CC has had that since 2014 and I use it from time to time. But even if they improve on it there is still to much missing in the tool box.

After Effects or Resolve is still the way to go imo.

And I'm kinda done waiting for Premiere to learn how to grade. Specially now when Resolve has learned how to edit.

If everything works in R12 like announced I will finish up my current project and then switch completely. 

This is why I love CC, you can bail out and comeback whenever without loosing money. Subscription  ftw :)

​What do you mean? Raw controls in 2014 were super limited. Maybe 3 or 4 sliders. They now have full controls like in AE, Lightroom, and Photoshop. What's missing in the 2015 toolbox?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I personally rate the 5D MKIII RAW image above all the newer A7s/GH4/NX1/C100 in terms of quality. And I don't think it's going to surpassed anytime soon because 14bit and RAW codecs don't seem to be on the timelime plans for any manufacturers, so I bet Canon will not surpass it even in years. 

How is the current workflow now? 

-I left at the stage where I shot and the card contained a single .raw file, 

-had to drag that file into a command called RAW2DNG.exe or something, then it generated a sequence of DNG images to an unspecified location (in a weird C. drive location)

-The I needed to take these files into a photographic raw converter, and batch convert them into something Vegas could take, I chose 16bit Tiffs to maintain the raw quality. 

-The took the sequence into vegas and imported an ''image sequence'' which lets me specify the frame rate and it creates them as a clip of tiffs to work with/grade. 

-In the end I had the original raw. file, the DNG sequence, the TIFF sequence and the final DNxHD file. A complete bloat up on hard drives, just tons of Gigabytes,

-So you add an extra step of qoing back deleting everything before the Tiff files.

In short, not something I want to do shooting video, at all, for anything.

Is there an easier way now? 

I personally rate the 5D MKIII RAW image above all the newer A7s/GH4/NX1/C100 in terms of quality. And I don't think it's going to surpassed anytime soon because 14bit and RAW codecs don't seem to be on the timelime plans for any manufacturers, so I bet Canon will not surpass it even in years. 

How is the current workflow now? 

-I left at the stage where I shot and the card contained a single .raw file, 

-had to drag that file into a command called RAW2DNG.exe or something, then it generated a sequence of DNG images to an unspecified location (in a weird C. drive location)

-The I needed to take these files into a photographic raw converter, and batch convert them into something Vegas could take, I chose 16bit Tiffs to maintain the raw quality. 

-The took the sequence into vegas and imported an ''image sequence'' which lets me specify the frame rate and it creates them as a clip of tiffs to work with/grade. 

-In the end I had the original raw. file, the DNG sequence, the TIFF sequence and the final DNxHD file. A complete bloat up on hard drives, just tons of Gigabytes,

-So you add an extra step of qoing back deleting everything before the Tiff files.

In short, not something I want to do shooting video, at all, for anything.

Is there an easier way now? 

​That's exactly why I avoided it. Way too many steps for longer videos. I can't speak for Magic Lanterns Raw files, but for Blackmagic's you simply import the folders into Premiere. Drag the first DNG into the timeline and it automatically lays out the full sequence, with sound. Click on "COLOR" and a full suite of controls will come up. LUT input, exposure, Color temp, tint, contrast, saturation, vibrance, sharpen, Then there are secondary controls with color wheels, curves, creative LUTs, vignettes, etc.

I can play Raw files in realtime now on CC 2015 as well. It was a bit sluggish before.

• Super Members

​What do you mean? Raw controls in 2014 were super limited. Maybe 3 or 4 sliders. They now have full controls like in AE, Lightroom, and Photoshop. What's missing in the 2015 toolbox?

Well, the rest of it.

It's a bit to late for me to be impressed with a couple of sliders added when Resolve has a full blown color grade suite and an editing suite.

If this was added last year when I thought it was going to be, it would have been really cool.

But the only difference this update does for my workflow in Premiere is remove one render. But that render was already removed for most projects by Resolve 11.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice update and all and I'm glad I have it. It's just that the last three updates have been a bit.. Njae. And in the meantime Resolve has become the one program NLE/color suite I was hoping for.

1) Convert your ML raw/mlv files to dng sequences using one of the many available GUI batch tools. This is essentially a simple and fast rewrapping job. 

2) Delete the raw/mlv files. Raw process, edit, color and finish in Resolve Lite, non-destructively, using the dng files. 

No generations, proxies or whatever. Full original quality at each step. That's what I've used. Now, if you need compositing you'll have to export to a compositing app using whatever format suits you. I've used tiff sequences for that.

(I have an extra step, using my compressor http://www.slimraw.com/ to losslessly compress the DNGs (usually 50+% size reduction while retaining full original quality), but this is optional. /end of plug)

And apparently there are now ways to mount the ML raw files directly so that they are visible as dng sequences in video apps. You should consult the magic lantern forum. Tons of workflows there.

I haven't tried CC 2015 yet, but it looks promising. CC 2014 was way too slow for my liking when working with raw.

Well, the rest of it.

It's a bit to late for me to be impressed with a couple of sliders added when Resolve has a full blown color grade suite and an editing suite.

If this was added last year when I thought it was going to be, it would have been really cool.

But the only difference this update does for my workflow in Premiere is remove one render. But that render was already removed for most projects by Resolve 11.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice update and all and I'm glad I have it. It's just that the last three updates have been a bit.. Njae. And in the meantime Resolve has become the one program NLE/color suite I was hoping for.

​Specifically what do you think the controls are missing? Not being a dick or anything just curious. The only thing I've found is missing is a secondary qualifier but I use Colorista for that.

• Super Members

​Specifically what do you think the controls are missing? Not being a dick or anything just curious. The only thing I've found is missing is a secondary qualifier but I use Colorista for that.

I don't think you're being a dick, I wasn't even aware that it was an argument. I mean we both are paying customers of Premiere :)

I like the tracker, the node based workflow instead of layers, the secondary but most of all the way everything like tabs, functions and everything is layed out.

I guess it just grew on me the last year and Premiere which I've used since 2009 isn't as "intuitive" (lack of a better word) anymore. 

I don't think you're being a dick, I wasn't even aware that it was an argument. I mean we both are paying customers of Premiere :)

I like the tracker, the node based workflow instead of layers, the secondary but most of all the way everything like tabs, functions and everything is layed out.

I guess it just grew on me the last year and Premiere which I've used since 2009 isn't as "intuitive" (lack of a better word) anymore. 

​Makes sense. I never got used to node based programs b/c I always used After Effects so layers are more comfortable for me. But that's just preference I guess. Re: tracker. It's very easy now to run a mask tracker in Premiere. I think that was updated in the last version but it's saved me a ton of time not going into AE to do it.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

So Resolve lite takes the DNG files generated? Edits, colours, and works with it?

Any other video editors other resolve that take the DNGs? My PC tower has no OpenCL support so Resolve doesn't like it, I'd need a new editing tower just for resolve + buying the Canon. 

But if resolve/or any editors do take DNGs directly that would make the workflow just like any other camera with the extra process of dragging the raw. file to the raw2dng.exe command, which takes minutes. 

So Resolve lite takes the DNG files generated? Edits, colours, and works with it?

Any other video editors other resolve that take the DNGs? My PC tower has no OpenCL support so Resolve doesn't like it, I'd need a new editing tower just for resolve + buying the Canon. 

But if resolve/or any editors do take DNGs directly that would make the workflow just like any other camera with the extra process of dragging the raw. file to the raw2dng.exe command, which takes minutes. 

​No sure about the PC.  On Mac I use RawMagic drag and drop to convert MLV or the Raw file in to DNGs.  Very easy.  If i want to preview before converting....I can use MLV viewer to playback, grade and export the MLV file to either DNGs or or mov format and grade in Resolve lite.  It really comes down to your system on how easy it is.