Setting GH4 up for an external monitor?

bluefonia

I have received a cheap Aputure VS 2 monitor to test. I can't get in to work with my GH4 camera. When connected the Aputure says "No signal". I have tried different settings on the GH4, but no luck. The VS 2 has the latest firmware and so has my GH4.

Any suggestions to make it work?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I had the same problem with 2 Monitors I have, the MustHD 7" and a Cheap one I bought here in Japan. Make sure your HDMI out put is in 4.2.2 10Bit instead of 8. Once I switch to 8 both monitors worked just fine.

​Thanks, I will try that, but I´m not sure I get you quite right: Do you mean setting HDMI out on the GH4 to 4.2.2 10 bit and keep it there or GH4 to 4.2.2 10 bit and switch back to 8 bit?

I had the same problem with 2 Monitors I have, the MustHD 7" and a Cheap one I bought here in Japan. Make sure your HDMI out put is in 4.2.2 10Bit instead of 8. Once I switch to 8 both monitors worked just fine.

​Hm, does not work either. I have send a mail to Aputure support, - will see if they come up with a solution. Will also try Tom Antos.

​Thanks, I will try that, but I´m not sure I get you quite right: Do you mean setting HDMI out on the GH4 to 4.2.2 10 bit and keep it there or GH4 to 4.2.2 10 bit and switch back to 8 bit?

I meant to keep it on 8 Bit​

​Hm, does not work either. I have send a mail to Aputure support, - will see if they come up with a solution. Will also try Tom Antos.

​Arghhh sorry to hear that. Good luck and let us know.

As a last resort I have ordered a second HDMI cable, as some says - including Aputure - that HDMi cables can be pretty faulty.  If a new cable does not fix the problem, the VS2 is going back, - and a BM Videoassist or a SmallHD 501 might be moving in instead. (Sometimes you get what you pay for :-)).

I have read the GH4 can be a bit tricky when it comes to monitor connections, - can someone elaborate on  that?

For some reason C4K 24hz doesnt work with SmallHD monitors. I've had both DP7 and 502, neither work with C4K. Aside from that, i highly recommend 501/502. Super light and amazing picture.

​Just to be 500% sure, - I does not work in C4K 24hz but works in 4K 24hz ?

​Just to be 500% sure, - I does not work in C4K 24hz but works in 4K 24hz ?

​It works in UHD (3840x2160) 23.98fps, but only in 59.9Hz, or PAL. When switching the camera to 24Hz in the menu in does not output a signal. I've contacted SmallHD about this and they say it works for them but I just don't believe it. I have 2 GH4's, and have had 2 SmallHD monitors. NONE worked in C4K.

Try a different HDMI cable.

I have bunch that are highly overrated,  they are not all equal and some don't work.Try a different HDMI cable.​

As a last resort I have ordered a second HDMI cable, as some says - including Aputure - that HDMi cables can be pretty faulty.

​The new cable should be here any day now, so excited to see if does the trick.

Then there is the possibility of a bad HDMI port.

​The GH4 works flawless when connected to a TV via HDMI, so the camera HDMI port seems to be okay-

I have seen that cable, but was afraid that the angled micro plug would stand in the way of the door to the HDMI/AV outs on The GH4. What is your experience?

​It angles away from the door. Do you have a cage for the GH4?

I found a rock solid solution for keeping the micro HDMI in place. I use this cage:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FHUGEN-HONU-V2-0-VIDEO-CAGE-Kit-with-Top-Handle-HDMI-Clamp-for-GH3-GH4-A7-A7R-/231330143830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35dc59de56

I use this HDMI clamp on the side.http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMALLRIG-HDMI-Cable-Clamp-1521-/251981734964?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aab482434

I simply place a small round metal cylinder (find at a hardware store) inside the clamp and push it against the micro HDMI input. Lock the Clamp. It's super secure. You can basically throw the cage around and it won't come loose.

Here is a picture:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Problem solved. Got a new cable to day and now the Aputure/GH4 combo works. Very easy setup, - connected the two, switched both on and bingo. Thanks to everyone for your comments and inputs.

About the quality of the Aputere: Well, for the money it is okay. The screen has too much contrast - maybe wrong contrast is the right word -  to my liking. The dark areas are too dark and the bright areas too bright. I've tried different settings for brightness and contrast, but can´t get what I would like. Also I would not trust the Aputure for colors - not terrible colors but not trustworthy. The GH4 LCD has far better balance between dark and light areas and better colors. For framing and most focus work though I guess the Aputure is okay. I have put an Anti Glare Film on top of the glossy screen, this and a DIY-modification on the sunshade made it quite useful  for outdoor use.

Anyways, in 4-5 months time I think I´ll get the SmallHD 501 Sidefinder, - if feedback from real world users is good.