SAMSUNG NX1 Macroblocking

victorwuff

I think about switching from GH4 to NX1, but I'm concerned about the macroblockings I could finde in nearly all tests.

Still not sure if this blockings refer originally to the extrem compression by H265  code or to the transcoding to editable format (prores) or to the compression by uploading to youtube or vimeo.

Anybody who has experience with the NX1 and could give me an accurate answer?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It seems to be an h.265 native issue as I looked at one natively on the great MPC-hc player, macro blocking in the areas that are dark haven't clipped to pure black silk (a lovely attribute to the nx1 footage, clipped shadows are deep black and 100% clean, the problem lies in the under exposed areas. Anyway it's not terrible at all, and a pass of neat video got rid of it all (but neat in time-consuming). 

Gh4 didn't show it, just fine noise floor.

All in all, for my eyes nx1 is a much nicer image overal except for the slight codec artefacting on the nx1, something at the end of the day nobody is going to see but you, and can be eliminated with neat video if you're sensitive about it. Try it.

I was pretty sure it was to do with some in body noise reduction or something. like it's insanely clean at low isos because of it, but higher isos it just stops helping and starts hurting. feel like you won't see that on all h.265 compression codecs from here on out. a shogun or other recorder may help this I've heard? - lettinging it keep it's grain throughout, more like a gh4. pretty uninformed though, so don't take my word for it. it is an issue of the camera though, not just vimeo or transcoding, I don't think