2 Hour Making of Mad Max Fury Road

AaronChicago

Fantastic flick, the stunt work, camera work, and directing was great. though was very disappointed with Tom Hardy's Max.

I absolutely cannot believe the stunt at 17:46 in this video was real. That is insanity.

More actually on set

​The BTS talk on the cinematography was a little disheartening with Millers "We'll fix it in post mentality". But is also confirmed that I NEVER want to shoot a film in native 3D. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

SPOILERS

For fans of the film, check out this theory about the apocalypse. There is symbolism of the Four Horsemen and it makes total sense:

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/368fkl/fury_road_theory_who_killed_the_world_four/

Interesting theory but I think he may be overanalyzing. Honestly, I don't remember a part in the movie when it is confirmed that this world is the outcome of nuclear war, which his theory hinges upon. But, I thought his name was Immortal Joe, so I could be totally off base. Call me crazy but I don't think there is much depth to the movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it as an action movie but I think any symbolism was pretty surface level. Obviously the ozone layer has been depleted and the trees all died making the oxygen level unhealthy. And obviously Joe purified the gene pool too quickly, creating this race of cave people with genetic defects. The son, who rode with him was normal, all of his other children had defects, except for the unborn child, who was... Possibly... Born beautiful. Beauty was the dying commodity. 

Honestly, I don't remember a part in the movie when it is confirmed that this world is the outcome of nuclear war, which his theory hinges upon.

​I'm pretty sure there was at least one reference and after all it's a Mad Max entry, so the nuclear thingie is quite evident. But I wouldn't overinterpret, either. It's just a vanity piece which I'm perfectly fine with, given the quality of the action and the atmosphere. I prefer that to pseudo-intellectual films like Inception that try too hard and lead nowhere.

I mean, just watch the Making Of and it's pretty evident that Miller was sure he could get away with virtually anything because of the action and pacing. "We'll do it in post, never mind the bad 5D Mk II video, cheesy fake night sky whatever, screw the lighting" and so on. I doubt the mentality was different in terms of the story. Thing didn't even have a script. :p

There is a Forbes article on the shortcomings of Fury Road which to me covers all the weaknesses. Still, I love the movie and honestly I don't see much of a chance for films like back then, where substance ruled over style. That era is over imho. Nowadays everything is about marketability and production value.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/05/15/mad-max-review-5-reasons-why-road-warrior-is-better-than-fury-road/

​I'm pretty sure there was at least one reference and after all it's a Mad Max entry, so the nuclear thingie is quite evident. But I wouldn't overinterpret, either. It's just a vanity piece which I'm perfectly fine with, given the quality of the action and the atmosphere. I prefer that to pseudo-intellectual films like Inception that try too hard and lead nowhere.

I mean, just watch the Making Of and it's pretty evident that Miller was sure he could get away with virtually anything because of the action and pacing. "We'll do it in post, never mind the bad 5D Mk II video, cheesy fake night sky whatever, screw the lighting" and so on. I doubt the mentality was different in terms of the story. Thing didn't even have a script. :p

There is a Forbes article on the shortcomings of Fury Road which to me covers all the weaknesses. Still, I love the movie and honestly I don't see much of a chance for films like back then, where substance ruled over style. That era is over imho. Nowadays everything is about marketability and production value.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/05/15/mad-max-review-5-reasons-why-road-warrior-is-better-than-fury-road/

Good point. As I said, I enjoyed the movie for what it was... A stylized action flick created by a good filmmaker. And in some ways that is where it's brilliance lies. But it was smart to create just enough symbolic imagery and art direction, to create fodder for blogs. 

After more thought, I am torn... This movie is essentially one big car chase. Under most circumstances, a movie like this would suck, but the style and direction put into the film elevates it. Is it a good movie... Not sure. Is it a great action sequence spread out across 2 hours... Definitely!!!

Here is pure proof that the movie is genius: Alot of people enjoyed it for a pure action movie (which it is), and many enjoyed it as an action movie plus layers of subtext (which it is). Either way it's enjoyable. Miller is just too smart to leave symbolism and subtext untouched. I mean look at the writing on the wall: "WHO KILLED THE WORLD?"

Here is pure proof that the movie is genius: Alot of people enjoyed it for a pure action movie (which it is), and many enjoyed it as an action movie plus layers of subtext (which it is). Either way it's enjoyable. Miller is just too smart to leave symbolism and subtext untouched. I mean look at the writing on the wall: "WHO KILLED THE WORLD?"

Every half-decent artist knows how to irritate people by dropping a few unintelligible, chaotic remarks/symbols. :P

After more thought, I am torn... This movie is essentially one big car chase. Under most circumstances, a movie like this would suck, but the style and direction put into the film elevates it. Is it a good movie... Not sure. Is it a great action sequence spread out across 2 hours... Definitely!!!

​If you liked the film, it's good. Who cares how closely it does or doesn't follow conventions?

This film was fucking excellent. 6/5 stars from me. We were a group of three, two loved it, one didn't so I guess it polarizes.

It was a surprisingly smart movie (it didn't explain stuff through dialogue) with great character development and awesome awesome little moments. I really liked how the story was told. People say that Max was a side character but I saw this more as an ensemble film and we were seeing the world through Max's eyes. The simplicity and the drive really kept the film together. All the characters were great, especially Nux and his little story.

Expertly edited, every single action sequence was near perfection. I don't think you can do a movie like this any better. My god, I'm like a gibbering fanboy. Haven't felt like this for a movie since...can't even remember.

Who knew a 70-year old George Miller would show all these new guys how action is really done?

This film was fucking excellent. 6/5 stars from me. We were a group of three, two loved it, one didn't so I guess it polarizes.

It was a surprisingly smart movie (it didn't explain stuff through dialogue) with great character development and awesome awesome little moments. I really liked how the story was told. People say that Max was a side character but I saw this more as an ensemble film and we were seeing the world through Max's eyes. The simplicity and the drive really kept the film together. All the characters were great, especially Nux and his little story.

Expertly edited, every single action sequence was near perfection. I don't think you can do a movie like this any better. My god, I'm like a gibbering fanboy. Haven't felt like this for a movie since...can't even remember.

Who knew a 70-year old George Miller would show all these new guys how action is really done?

​It's been 3 days and I still can't stop thinking about it. Must go again tonight : )