You Don't Need A New Camera

fuzzynormal

so we'd understand the background, whether he does filmic or video, docs or cinema, as it would help make suggestions and general communication. 

​Well, my sig has my vimeo page which leads to examples of things, which is mostly corporate.  My thoughts are that those examples are good, not great... but it's there to see.  That way you can balance my opinion with my level of production.  Depending on where you're coming from in the biz, it could be inspiring or you could dismiss it.  Nevertheless, it's there as a way to help judge my perspective.

Which I think is fair.  In any community it's good to have a sense of where people's opinions are coming from.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​True, but he does make a fair point about EOSHD not covering art related aspects of filmmaking and focusing only on gear. May be you don't want to cover art stuff, but it'd be great if Andrew/you address that suggestion directly. No Film School has a decent balance of the two, for example.

​I'd respectfully disagree, NFS is full of banners and "sponsored content" ( deceptive ads masking as articles. ), and while their 5-7 staff posts broader content, they don't have the balls to do frank, objective gear reviews and never will. Personally, I much prefer quality over quantity.

​Eh. You can already do this you know.

eoshd.com/comments/profile/userID > Edit Profile > Basic Info > Member Title > 'Your member title is shown beside posts you make'

You might've noticed I've been rocking 'Filmrookie' for some time already. :lol: That's a pretty spot on description I'd reckon.

​I can't edit my title there, just my birth date. Already checked a few times before, because I didn't like the title.

• Administrators

You can't tech somehow one to feel, how to have an interesting opinion to express and essentially that is what the creative side of filmmaking (and indeed music) comes down to.

Sensitivity, life experience, taste and something to say...

But then you're welcome to go and read the click bate on other sites about how to copy someone good.

You can't tech somehow one to feel, how to have an interesting opinion to express and essentially that is what the creative side of filmmaking (and indeed music) comes down to.

Sensitivity, life experience, taste and something to say...

But then you're welcome to go and read the click bate on other sites about how to copy someone good.

​What I find the most fascinating about this site is that I think you Andrew started it because you were tired of your treatment on the other sites, including DVXUser.com - amongst others - so you wanted to start a fresh positive thing.

But much like Cuba was started with wonderful ideas, soon it became rules by moderators who became just as callous as those you rebelled against.

It's a beautiful thing, the cycle of life.

Fuzzynormal is one of the smart caring emotional posters on here, and if he wants to make a post about learning how to create rigs to make your camera better, why shouldn't he?  

Check out these rigs from the 70's - http://www.tonyhillfilms.com/rigs

so creative!

The problem is that people, in general, are over sensitive. If you like or dislike something someone else has they take it too personally. The fact is, unless you are shooting in pixelvision or beta cam, you may not need a new camera. Or you may. Or you may be overcomplicating tech to make up for a lack of creativity, or you may be relying to much on creativity when all you need is some craft and tech. It's all subjective and should be left at that. Just as long as you know I am right. That is all. 

​What I find the most fascinating about this site is that I think you Andrew started it because you were tired of your treatment on the other sites, including DVXUser.com - amongst others - so you wanted to start a fresh positive thing.

But much like Cuba was started with wonderful ideas, soon it became rules by moderators who became just as callous as those you rebelled against.

It's a beautiful thing, the cycle of life.

Fuzzynormal is one of the smart caring emotional posters on here, and if he wants to make a post about learning how to create rigs to make your camera better, why shouldn't he?  

Check out these rigs from the 70's - http://www.tonyhillfilms.com/rigs

so creative!

Hello again, Ed...back with a new name and avatar but same old attitude, I see. 

​I'd respectfully disagree, NFS is full of banners and "sponsored content" ( deceptive ads masking as articles. ), and while their 5-7 staff posts broader content, they don't have the balls to do frank, objective gear reviews and never will. Personally, I much prefer quality over quantity.

​I actually happen to agree with this approach (being bold/frank). Yes, NFS has advertorials as articles, as do others actually: even DP Review with its oddball intro XC10 article and the follow-up puff-piece interview. AFAIK EOSHD was the only one going against the grain on a limb when the rest were kissing up (circa NAB  time, now there are more that have come around). Please stay this way, we need a bold and independent voice in this age of megacorps and fawning reviews. 

Just as long as you know I am right. That is all. 

​Everybody is right on the internet. :-)  Some even more so because they know how to caps lock.

Anyway, regardless of what this forum is or isn't I think it should be applauded for existing.  Personally, I like the chippy-ness and passion around here.  Freedom is usually a bit messy and I like it.  I'd rather be offended than bored.

I think the reason we spend so much time writing and obsessing about gear on forums is that there are actually two processes involved in getting better at the craft of making films. One is a technical process: how to achieve better shots, better sound, smoother motion, dynamic range, etc. This part is easy to talk about -- we often don't own the gear we're arguing about. And it's fun! The second process needed to improve is an artistic or aesthetic process. And it's more difficult to talk about because it derives from feelings rather than facts, taste rather than spec sheets. It's much easier to say 4k is better than 2k, and much more fraught to say that, gulp, Michael Mann is better than Oliver Stone, etc. And it's even more difficult to prove. 

Further, there remains some part of being an artist that requires you to walk off into the extremity of your experience and actually come back to people with something unique to say. Something touching or funny, and above all true.

I've seen some amazing pieces of work in the Screening Room and it'll have ONE comment. I consider EOSHD more tech focussed and thats great. 

Years ago I wrote a series of posts on No Film School about the craft of directing, and have shot (directed) short films, a feature film, and numerous music videos and works for clients. It's not that people don't want to talk about directing or the craft of the art form itself, it's just that some part of that is personal. Maybe somewhere on the web there's a place where people launch into polemics against "fake Wes Anderson" style, or dolly-zoom shots, but I haven't found it. And the truth is it's hard​ to talk about one's artistic process, and even harder to hear someone tell you why it sucks. But point of view does leak out over time on a forum like this. That's why getting to know the various voices over a series of posts counts for something in the long run.

One of the longest threads on Reduser is called "shut up and shoot that Scarlet". But there's an even longer one with people posting pictures of their rigs. To reply to fuzzynormal's original post, no I don't need a new camera. But I always want one. And talking about it will do in the meantime.

I really think there is a marriage of creativity and tech. For instance I have a Pentax Q7 that I love to mess around with. It's a toy I bought to use all the old 8mm lenses I have. I came across some Cosmicar 1.9 TV lenses pretty cheap that I thought could work with the pocket, if I ever get one. So last week I attached them to my Q7 just to give them a test. I ended up loving the footage and threw some clips on Vimeo. It made me think creatively. So sometimes the marriage of a lens and a camera can make all the difference.

Here's the visual test I shot and threw together in an afternoon. It is technically flawed and creatively lacking... But there is something I like about the image. 

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. ​

​I only know the phrase in this connection. I always felt The Shining was about the desperation of not being able to be creative, to let your inspiration guide you - and what that means for yourself and the ones you love.

For the german version, there was a slightly different phrase, translated by Kubricks german wife and approved by him: Was du heute kannst besorgen, das verschiebe nicht auf morgen! (This sentence, typed on hundreds of sheets in different layouts, forever. And ever. And ever.) Quite literally (from phrasen.com): Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!

Kids hear that often from their mothers. Do your homework first before you go outside to play, that's typically meant. Alternative suggestion from phrasen.com:

Procrastination is the thief of time!

If you consider the situation autobiographical (to some extent), Kubrick knew what wasting time felt like on the long run. He didn't shoot a lot of films. And he was a gear nerd too.

Anyway, regardless of what this forum is or isn't I think it should be applauded for existing. Personally, I like the chippy-ness and passion around here.  Freedom is usually a bit messy and I like it.  I'd rather be offended than bored.

​Agreed. Just let me say that I really wasn't aware of being offensive. 

EDIT: Navel-gazing leads nowhere, it's not only irritating others, it's de-motivational for everyone, including oneself. We shouldn't mud the water, we should stay abstinent for a while and concentrate on actually executing our plans.