EDITED: Samsung NX1: Bird Tracking 120fps

ESGI Media

Released another video all shot in slow motion at the same location as the previous video, actually I shot this at the same time, just didn't cut it together until now. Some tech info is available in the vid description.

Hi all,

Here's a video I shot on an impulse (I was actually out and about to take stills) following a seagull doing a marathon flying session in Regent's Park, London.

Although the video is titled 'tracking' I wasn't using the Tracking AF, I was using C-AF with the default focus box, so technically I was tracking the bird manually by trying to keep it in the box the whole time, gets a little tiring as it's 1) handheld and 2) at 150mm. Literally every scenario is tested, moving towards, away from camera, quiet backgrounds and busy, sky shooting, flying over water. Was pleasantly surprised by the results.

I was using a cheapo variable ND filter I got on Ebay for £15 or something ridiculous. I believe I could have gotten better results by altering the AF sensitivity functions, but when something happens, I'd rather shoot it than miss the moment fiddling with the camera :-) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR8pWl8keNc

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It did a real good job. Apologises if it got a bit too wavy, I'd already been shooting stills for 2 and a bit hours. I have noticed some focussing inconsistencies in stills mode with that vND filter though, but they vanish when I shoot without it. My fault for being a cheapskate. :)