panavision Superama 16mm Anamorphic

hidalgoserra

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well aspect ratio, overal quality of the image, the fact that is panavision which is by itself a quality standard, i have seen lots of footage made with it and i simply love it, i had an hypergonar hi fi 2 (amazing lense) but its way too big and heavy and its a 2.x aspect ration lense which make stretching the image a huge loss.

Having never used it or seen footage from it my best guess would be something like this. It is small and I believe there were 2 types 1 for 8mm and 1 for 16mm. It is 1.5 stretch so you don't have to crop at all if you are OK with a 2.66 aspect ratio, which is has been used in the past. It is also a single focus adapter. I believe this one is for a 16mm camera but I am not 100% sure about that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bolex-Moller-16-32-1-5-x-anamorphot-anamorphic-lens-RARE-/251912551513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa7287c59

Here is another, 1.5x single focus and for a 8mm camera.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Iscomorphot-8-1-5X-Isco-Gottingen-Anamorphic-Cinemascope-Lens-Kowa-2x-1-5/251927079133?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30251%26meid%3D69d581b17b734036a6504c55e1d15c69%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D251912551513&rt=nc

You should be able to track down footage shot with either of these to see if they have the look you are after. These are just examples of the lens you can probably find better ones since these 2 seem to have some issues.

Well aspect ratio, overal quality of the image, the fact that is panavision which is by itself a quality standard, i have seen lots of footage made with it and i simply love it, i had an hypergonar hi fi 2 (amazing lense) but its way too big and heavy and its a 2.x aspect ration lense which make stretching the image a huge loss.

​Cannot agree that, IMO, "make stretching the image a huge loss" is the 1.33x lenses.  All the 2x lenses have the best images.

The Panavision Superama is a 2X stretch as well ;)  Btw in this case the "panavision" brand isn't necessarily a "quality standard" because it's just a projection lens. It's not like you're buying a Primo :D

In terms of optical design, the Superama is pretty similar to the smaller hypergonar-16 series of lenses, and the sankor 16c variants.

EDIT: actually just did my homework, turns out that the superama comes in 2X and 1.5X stretch. I had only come across the 2X version before. In any case I don't think it's a particularly special lens.

Thank you guys for the heads up,

so if you could choose one anamorphic lens over the others, what in terms of quality, flair etc would be the one you would choose hands down?

​kowa for bell and howell relly good quality and flair its ok but i really dont like flair since it can be really distracting its gets old really fast

The Moeller 32 (which is still one of the most underrated anamorphics out there) could be an option. Regarding imagequality, sharpness, and especially character there is not much left to be desired. The downside is of course you cannot go wide (less than 50mm on mft) and focusing is anyoing. The Moellers are my favourites and despite Lomo and all the colorful and huge projection-things there is not much left I haven't tried in the budget area :)

BTW with modern sensor you don't have to worry about losing quality on 2x stretch. That was different in the old (small gauge) film days and was the reason why many adapter have the 1.5 stretch.

• 2 years later...