James Millers Deluts

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i think they dont look as good as the colors captured by you, and if you bought them so have other 100 people that will have the exact same look.

i think you should develop your own style, the footage is great, just tweek it a bit and it will have your signature on it.

they look instagramish, and unless there is a serious reason why they should look "green" or highly saturated because of a client or a story i am against luts and color grading.

i guess its my taste,and i am the minority here.

and as i said your footage and the dog looks awesome.

c.

• Super Members

But I don't like to have a certain "style" and I don't want to decide beforehand how my footage is going to look.

I make that decision every time I shoot. And every time is different. I use different angles, lenses, lights, music, grades, etc depending on the situation or story for that particular project. And sometimes depending on budget/time able to spend shooting and editing.

Therefor I see my cameras, lenses, lights, and editing tools as just that, tools. And I like having a large toolbox with lots of options.

And I don't think skipping a look that suites your story perfectly and makes your work better just because some other guy made something similar. Then its imo time to work on the script, not the grade.

I agree with both sides - none of us wants to have a "preset" look define us - but they are good starting points - 

I am very guilty of using filmconvert and impulz luts for all my work - I have made a few custom luts - but it's good to have a jumping off point - in the end it's all the same - if you do it yourself or you use someone else's starting point. 

Whatever gets you to a look that feels right for that story, for that film, commercial, doc, etc.

There is no magic bullet.

And speaking of magic bullet - back when the magic bullet app was the only game in town for color grading done easily, man did some people do some really terrible "preset" looks and call it a day.

I think resolve is helping all of us discover more and more about color.

And yes it takes years and years to understand it all - hence why some colorists are paid I think over 10k a day.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Wow these look horrible. I mean maybe for a vintage/very specific couple of seconds in a project but this just looks too toyish to use as a grade on a full video/film. I am afraid people are starting to think film looks like instagram filters, with lifted blacks, total yellow tint and deep blue shadows. I am also afraid these kind of LUTs and grading attitude will ruin many great videos.

This of course is totally subjective but I advice anyone who thinks about using them ''as is'', it can be tempting to look at such an image while grading, but take a step back and look as a viewer, if it looks like a decent quality video, then use it. Just make sure you take that step back. If you like it and think it won't distract/bother your audience, the power to you...

• Super Members

Wow these look horrible. I mean maybe for a vintage/very specific couple of seconds in a project but this just looks too toyish to use as a grade on a full video/film. I am afraid people are starting to think film looks like instagram filters, with lifted blacks, total yellow tint and deep blue shadows. I am also afraid these kind of LUTs and grading attitude will ruin many great videos.

This of course is totally subjective but I advice anyone who thinks about using them ''as is'', it can be tempting to look at such an image while grading, but take a step back and look as a viewer, if it looks like a decent quality video, then use it. Just make sure you take that step back. If you like it and think it won't distract/bother your audience, the power to you...

Do you have any examples of people using them "as is"?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

So your examples are tweaked/graded beyond the LUTs tests Mattius? I am speaking of all the footage I've seen using them, either tweaked or not. Even James Miller's entire videography looks this way, and Philip bloom's too lately. Just horrible grading, for my taste. You footage is top notch and very, very film-like for some reason, only ruined by the LUTs,

• Super Members

Just asking since I believe most people tweek them to their liking. And like I said I do different grades for different situations. Sometimes a instagramish look might be desirable. 

At the very end of this video I have a different grades with the same bulldog footage. Might be less instagramish but also a different feel imo

Seems those LUTs are quite attracting some negative feelings. Since I am here to learn I would like to ask you guys to comment on this screencaps (I think it is quite clear which are OOC and which have the LUT with 60% opacity applied). Do you always favor the OOC variant?Bildschirmfoto_2015-04-28_um_20.34.42.thBildschirmfoto_2015-04-28_um_20.34.31.thBildschirmfoto_2015-04-28_um_20.37.30.thBildschirmfoto_2015-04-28_um_20.37.41.thBildschirmfoto_2015-04-28_um_20.36.18.thBildschirmfoto_2015-04-28_um_20.36.28.th

I think these looks definitely should be used selectively to achieve an emotion/feeling in a film rather than sprayed on willy nilly. I always thought Philip Bloom's grades looked really wishy washy and these LUTs are the reason.

BTW Jase what camera and settings are you using there?