PL mount to EOS Adapters

rook

What up!  I'm looking for a someone to recommend a PL to EOS adapter. Just to be clear, I am talking about EOS body to PL lens.

I have a Foton 37-140mm in PL and I'm dying to test it out. I picked up an adapter on Ebay, but it didn't fit. The sides of the PL mount were too big for the adapter. 

See the pictures attached.

If the info is any use, the lens was converted to PL by RAF Camera (No logo on the mount, but so says the guy who sold it to me). 

There seems to be a ton of adapters out there to try, but I'd love to hear some feedback from people who have some experience before I start round two on this. 

Anyone with suggestions? Tips? Anything?

Here are a few I am considering trying next: 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995147-REG/fotodiox_ar_pl_eos_p_pro_canon_eos_adapter.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Angenieux-Cooke-PL-mount-lens-to-Canon-Eos-EF-mount-ciecio7-adapter-/261127884487?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccc6f4ec7

Screen shot 2015-04-25 at 4.50.03 PM.png

IMAG1722.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

the unit you have is maybe the worst available.  However if your lens wont even seat into that adaptor it probably wont fit any eos-pl adaptor.  It doesnt look like the work of RAF.  it looks like they fashioned that pl mount by hand -it's certainly not been made on a lathe!

the ciecio7 unit is the best value for money while being very close to true PL mounts manufactured by Arri however I'd hazard a guess that you lens wouldnt even fit a real arri camera.

the main problem with your adaptor from jie ying is that they havent placed the orientation pin in the correct position meaning the anamorphic wont be aligned correctly from the start.  other than that, as long as the back of your lens falls within the parameters listed in this listing, http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x474/henrykborsuk/pleosbagnetwymiary.jpg

there shouldnt be a problem - the lens should at least seat into the adaptor you have.  if the pl mount on your lens is bigger than the dims on this image, no eos-pl adaptor will work with it.

the unit you have is maybe the worst available.  However if your lens wont even seat into that adaptor it probably wont fit any eos-pl adaptor.  It doesnt look like the work of RAF.  it looks like they fashioned that pl mount by hand -it's certainly not been made on a lathe!

the ciecio7 unit is the best value for money while being very close to true PL mounts manufactured by Arri however I'd hazard a guess that you lens wouldnt even fit a real arri camera.

the main problem with your adaptor from jie ying is that they havent placed the orientation pin in the correct position meaning the anamorphic wont be aligned correctly from the start.  other than that, as long as the back of your lens falls within the parameters listed in this listing, http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x474/henrykborsuk/pleosbagnetwymiary.jpg

there shouldnt be a problem - the lens should at least seat into the adaptor you have.  if the pl mount on your lens is bigger than the dims on this image, no eos-pl adaptor will work with it.

​Rich, your posts are the best. You always bring such great info. Thank you. I love you. Did I just make it weird?

Anyway, the back of the lens is exactly 14mm so I'm confident that will not be the issue. I had a sneaking suspicion that the mount was not from Raf, I think his are logo'd. Perhaps the lens came from him and the mount was an abomination put on by the last owner.

In any case, I'll give the ciecio7 a try and see how it goes. If that fails, I guess I'll keep the adapter and replace the mount. Oh, the joys of buying vintage lenses!

Thanks again!

No Probs man.  I love you too xxx

have a try of removing the little screw on the side of the blue ring.  this will allow you to unscrew the ring and see if the lens will seat onto the black part.  if it does, you might get away with filing down the internal ears on the blue part so they allow the lens to seat onto the black part.  as said, I think the orientation pin on the unit you have is incorrectly positioned on the mount meaning the anamorphic wont be perfectly aligned horizontally.   It would appear that they messed up the thread of the blue and black part meaning in order for the ears to bite down onto the lens mount, the pin needed to be positioned in a different place.  

obviously, if the lens seats nice and snug onto the black part, you know the ciecio7 adaptor will work.  and if not, you'll just need to file away some of the locking ring on the ciecio7 unit assuggested for the one you have atm.

this is the PL mount i manufacture for the TRUMP lenses.  and it's specifically designed to work with eos-pl adaptors.  if the back of your lens looks close to this it will work.  the step is very important since the eos-pl adaptors get thinner towards the camera side.  off the top of my head I think the length of the pl mount after the ears is 7mm, then it steps to the thinner diameter.  if your lens has a bigger rear on its PL mount you might need a new remounting, or have your canon hard mounted to PL - which removes the ef mount of the camera all together

16775105148_f985894220_h.jpg

I'll second ceico7.  Stuff I've got from ebay from untested sources has nearly always proved to be a waste of time/money.  So I just pay for that good polish stuff now. 

The one thing I'll point out is that if the pin is out of alignment it won't matter on the foton-A like it does on other anamorphics.  Normally, for example any of the OCT19 lenses, it would skew the image, but that won't be an issues with the foton since it is a two piece lens and the anamorphic portion is aligned to the rails, and not to the mount.  So the spherical will be "out of alignment", but the anamorphic part will be aligned, so you won't be able to tell.

If the lens is out of alignment and it's a single piece, you can also always loosen the PL and then spin it to alignment and then re-tighten.  You just have to be sure and get your back focus correct. 

I'll second ceico7.  Stuff I've got from ebay from untested sources has nearly always proved to be a waste of time/money.  So I just pay for that good polish stuff now. 

The one thing I'll point out is that if the pin is out of alignment it won't matter on the foton-A like it does on other anamorphics.  Normally, for example any of the OCT19 lenses, it would skew the image, but that won't be an issues with the foton since it is a two piece lens and the anamorphic portion is aligned to the rails, and not to the mount.  So the spherical will be "out of alignment", but the anamorphic part will be aligned, so you won't be able to tell.

If the lens is out of alignment and it's a single piece, you can also always loosen the PL and then spin it to alignment and then re-tighten.  You just have to be sure and get your back focus correct. 

​Awesome. Thanks for the tip, Russell! 

Ordering a ceico7. Should have done that in the first place! 

this is the PL mount i manufacture for the TRUMP lenses.  and it's specifically designed to work with eos-pl adaptors.  if the back of your lens looks close to this it will work.  the step is very important since the eos-pl adaptors get thinner towards the camera side.  off the top of my head I think the length of the pl mount after the ears is 7mm, then it steps to the thinner diameter.  if your lens has a bigger rear on its PL mount you might need a new remounting, or have your canon hard mounted to PL - which removes the ef mount of the camera all together

​Your mount looks much nicer than mine. :)

The total depth of mine is 14mm, but it doesn't step down like yours although it does taper off. (mine posted below)

Hopefully the ceico7 adapter works, I'd rather not have to start with remounting the lens.

Thanks again for all the info Rich. Much appreciated!

2015-04-27 09.12.26.jpg

unfortunately that mount wont fit in any eos-pl adaptor.  however if the pl mount unscrews you might be able to get a machinist to put it on a lathe and remove some of the length of the pl mount.  

it looks like the mount is about 11mm before it tapers.  you want that to be just under 7mm before the taper.

id say that you might also have mirror problems once you get it fitting into the adaptor.  in which case you'll need to lok the mirror up before attaching the lens.