Digital Bolex Mono

docmoore

It's unfortunate that so many of the replies here come from a spec sheet formed opinion.  I personally couldn't afford to invest in this camera, however if i were an artist/film maker who values the benefits of true monochrome, or one who's art practice is purely in b+w this is definitely the cheapest option.  It's sad that so many seem to compare this to the bmpcc and the currently not released bmmcc.  It's also sad that it seems ISO's are more important than image quality to strong mouthed eoshd-ers.  Rag the hell out of a b+w sensor and i imagine the grain is rather pleasing - as it is when you rag monochrome film.  it;s only colour noise that looks nasty.  film grain looks lush      

It's also sad people who love to form an opinion on others without understanding my "strong mouth" point as you say.....  If you've ever had to light a large space, you would understand the benefit of being able to have a camera that is sensitive to light. The difference of 10 lights to 5 is huge on budget. Those extra 5 lights cost more, require additional space + additional wattage to push. Having a camera that is able to combat this is huge + you're able to choose your dof as well.

Using a smaller sensor / low iso camera such as the DB16 you are also forced to basically shoot with all of your lenses wide open or you you would have to require even more light to shoot around F/5.6 - F/8 and get good exposure in a dark environment. A Canon C100, C300, Sony A7s, Fs7, F55, etc you could shoot around F/8 and easily push your iso to 3200 and basically still have a very nice looking image if you chose to have a deeper dof.

Iso is also very important as the higher you go you lose color/dynamic range, so if I'm constantly having to shoot my camera at the max iso then I am losing quality..... I can go on and hopefully some people can understand my "strong mouth" comes from being placed in the worst situations and how having better cameras has allowed us to work better/more efficiently. In 2015 and moving forward one of the most important features of a camera is it's noise floor/dynamic range in my honest opinion. DB16 has a great Kodak sensor that can deliver amazing colors, global shutter for film like motion, professional audio and a plethora of other great specs, but my problem with the camera is the reason why I simply haven't hopped on board....... Noise , Iso and partially sensor size

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

​I never mentioned once the A7s in this thread......

What DB16 needs to do is Fix the noise, raise the asa and bring us a better camera and a good price.

​I know you didn't. I brought it up as an example of a camera to show that every camera is liked and disliked by different people :)

I don't think DB needs jack. I always buy a camera based on what it is now and don't sit around begging for updates. With that said Im exited about the upcoming update this week which gives last clip deletion and background off load ;)

It's also sad people who love to form an opinion on others without understanding my "strong mouth" point as you say.....  If you've ever had to light a large space, you would understand the benefit of being able to have a camera that is sensitive to light. The difference of 10 lights to 5 is huge on budget. Those extra 5 lights cost more, require additional space + additional wattage to push. Having a camera that is able to combat this is huge + you're able to choose your dof as well.

Using a smaller sensor / low iso camera such as the DB16 you are also forced to basically shoot with all of your lenses wide open or you you would have to require even more light to shoot around F/5.6 - F/8 and get good exposure in a dark environment. A Canon C100, C300, Sony A7s, Fs7, F55, etc you could shoot around F/8 and easily push your iso to 3200 and basically still have a very nice looking image if you chose to have a deeper dof.

Iso is also very important as the higher you go you lose color/dynamic range, so if I'm constantly having to shoot my camera at the max iso then I am losing quality..... I can go on and hopefully some people can understand my "strong mouth" comes from being placed in the worst situations and how having better cameras has allowed us to work better/more efficiently. In 2015 and moving forward one of the most important features of a camera is it's noise floor/dynamic range in my honest opinion. DB16 has a great Kodak sensor that can deliver amazing colors, global shutter for film like motion, professional audio and a plethora of other great specs, but my problem with the camera is the reason why I simply haven't hopped on board....... Noise , Iso and partially sensor size

​digital bolex plus metabones bmpcc speed booster (which has a transmission gain of 1 and 2/3rds of a stop increase. and turns the iso of the d bolex from 500 up to almost 1600.  if you can;t light a big space with your budget, shoot in a smaller one.  16mm is not a format for a big space.   the codex action cam, the onecam, and the si2k all use the same sensor as the dbolex, and none of them provide an all in one affordable package like the d bolex.  ]

you;re preaching to the choir when trying to sell cameras with bigger sensors for low light.  what you fail to consider is that the difference of 1 stop between the bmpcc and the bolex is a drop in the ocean when you factor in how much nicer a monochrome kodak sensor will look compared to the bmpcc sensor in good light.

​Great post and very reasoned response ... all of your points are spot on for you. If I were working for someone else it would matter ... but then I would be looking at Arri RED or the C300 Mk II at a minimum. 

I shoot for myself and rarely share any of my files ... and I can afford to use marginally adequate equipment as it suites my whim ... of the month.

I find that we are all looking at this perhaps like flatlanders .... seeing only our perspective irregardless of another's perception or needs.

As the artist once known as PB commented .... "not sure who this camera is marketed for" ... but  essentially he liked it regardless of its flaws.

Would I give up my A7s or D810 or for that matter my Ricoh GXR M mount? No way ... and I am not sure this is the next camera I need or want. I thought it might be the C100 Mk II  I prefer at least one camera with raw. And having extensive experience with mono Kodak sensors it appeals to me.

Bob