Fast & Furious is now an Avengers type superhero film

mtheory

I wouldn't say they have pushed any envelopes, they just made the action bigger and more intense, essentially using Michael Bay approach to action. If I have to pick the movies that have indeed been pushing the envelope I'd point to The Raid series, that was pretty much the only breath of fresh air in action cinema in the past decade.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​Agreed. I mean, take the runway scene in the previous one... I'm not sure if I'm supposed to laugh or cry it was so bad. Just... why?

​You mean the 10+ minute chase down the runway? Saw a funny story about that, the runway would have to be well over 20 miles long for that to happen.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-23005848

Then again people aren't regularly jumping between moving vehicles, getting showered with bullets and surrounded by explosions without getting seriously injured, so there's a lot of suspension of disbelief if you're watching any action movie.

It is what it is - 2 hours of mindless entertainment with some wow stunts.

I watch action movies (stunts and action sequences) the same way I watch The Walking Dead (what new way are they gonna make a zombie splatter?). 

​You mean the 10+ minute chase down the runway? Saw a funny story about that, the runway would have to be well over 20 miles long for that to happen.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-23005848

Then again people aren't regularly jumping between moving vehicles, getting showered with bullets and surrounded by explosions without getting seriously injured, so there's a lot of suspension of disbelief if you're watching any action movie.

It is what it is - 2 hours of mindless entertainment with some wow stunts.

I watch action movies (stunts and action sequences) the same way I watch The Walking Dead (what new way are they gonna make a zombie splatter?). 

​Yeah, that! But there's a fine line between ridiculous and ridonculous. :lol:

It's one thing that the movie is pretty dumb, like you said, nothing wrong with a bit mindless entertainment and some wow stunts from time to time. That's what you can expect. But when the dumb movies treats the audience itself as dumb... that's just painful to watch and perhaps even insulting. I mean, I get car chases and shooting. But a 20+ miles runway is just ridonculous or that thing with the tank... Then we kind of come back to the point of the whole 'realism' thingie. That if you're set out that this kind of stuff takes stage in roughly the exact world we live in, you can't suddenly expect me to just chew it up that 20+ miles of runway is a normal thing. Unless you beforehand explain to me that these kind of things are possible in the portrait universe, just don't do that kind of stuff. Please.