Anamorphic Newbie

AaronChicago

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Try just renting an adapter from Vid-Atlantic.  That's the cheapest/easiest/quickest way I can think of:

http://www.vid-atlantic.com/anamorphic/

I currently have their 1.9x adapter.  Works well on the GH4 and Nikkor Ai-s lenses.

Thanks. I shouldve mentioned I have F mount lenses that are 72-77mm threads. Is that a problem for anamorphic?

If you're going to spend $300, then don't buy one of those coloured lenses - they're big & have no character whatsoever.

Try searching for a Sankor/Singer 16D or one of the Kowa's 8Z / 16H / Bell&Howell (sometimes rebranded as Elmoscope II) - there are bargins out there & a quick search of Ebay will give you plenty of better options for $300.

Question to you anamorphic pros here:

What would be a nice/inexpensive starting point with an anamorphic lens? I own nikon mounts and GH4. I'm really wanting to try out the new anamorphic mode when the firmware is released.

​It depends on what you want or expect an anamorphic lens to do for your images.

Many users here appreciate the funky artefacts and distortions that anamorphic can impart onto an image as an intended aesthetic choice.

Others seem to prefer the 'cleaner' looking image with minimal or no flares, simply wanting to use anamophic to deliver a wider horizontal FOV.   

A lot of terms are subjective here, and are a matter of aesthetic choice but if you are after a 'filmic' or 'organic' look that can also deliver sharp results on your GH4, Bioskop's got it bang on by recommending 'Sankor/Singer 16D or one of the Kowa's 8Z / 16H / Bell&Howell' - I'd also add iscomorphot 16/2x to what you could be able to grab for around $300 these days. All these lenses are ideal starting lenses.

If you simply want to shoot anamorphic to obtain a wider horizontal FOV and dislike the optical characteristics that anamorphic introduces - just buy a wider lens shoot spherical.

The larger coloured lenses taken from 35mm projectors can be great for some, but are too bulky and heavy with poor minimum focusing most of the time IMO. They do however deliver incredibly sharp images as the optics were made with the intention of projection as 'lossless' as possible. The gold Cinelux range of lenses would also be in your budget but are terrible to adjust focus with - you need to turn a screw or a knob multiple turns to rack the lens forward and back. It is not impossible to shoot with these, but it is not the friendliest lens type to have as an introduction to anamorphic. Once you work out a decent mounting solution for your camera, you have already spent a lot more money on just getting the oversized thing up and running. The aesthetic these lenses deliver varies slightly - but they tend to fall towards 'clinical' or 'boring' to some, as they do not tend to flare very much, or have a lower contrast look, due to the thicker multi-coated optics that they have.  

The holy grail is still the iscorama, as it is single focus, very sharp at wide apertures and has modest (but enough) flare and optical character of anamorphic to please most.​More character can be milked from it due to being able to work so well at wide apertures - this is when many taking lenses start to get interesting, therefore the look can be unparalleled, especially on full frame. 

If you're going to spend $300, then don't buy one of those coloured lenses - they're big & have no character whatsoever.

Try searching for a Sankor/Singer 16D or one of the Kowa's 8Z / 16H / Bell&Howell (sometimes rebranded as Elmoscope II) - there are bargins out there & a quick search of Ebay will give you plenty of better options for $300.

One 16H can buy more than 3 of this ISCO integrated lens.  16D, I think is still more expensive than ISCO's.  It has very good optics, only except flare.   But I thank every one at least need 2 anamorphic lenses, one of them with best optics without flare.

One 16H can buy more than 3 of this ISCO integrated lens.  16D, I think is still more expensive than ISCO's.  It has very good optics, only except flare.   But I thank every one at least need 2 anamorphic lenses, one of them with best optics without flare.

I agree with this. It's nice to have something with "character" but a smeary lack of sharpness at lower f stops on many lenses with might frustrate you for certain shots (shooting in low light/night for example). So it's good to have a few options at your disposal depending on the shoot.

Of all the anamorphic lenses I have used including the Lomo square fronts and Iscorama 54, the Kowa 16H/8Z is still one of my favorites. A lot of character, nice warm flares in sun light and it is very sharp. If you can live with the dual focus it is a great lens and would be my recommendation for a starter anamorphic as well.

Of all the anamorphic lenses I have used including the Lomo square fronts and Iscorama 54, the Kowa 16H/8Z is still one of my favorites. A lot of character, nice warm flares in sun light and it is very sharp. If you can live with the dual focus it is a great lens and would be my recommendation for a starter anamorphic as well.

​16H is a beautiful lens, and i actually also like it better than Lomo square

Any thoughts on this ISCO Micro 2X for use with the GH4? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Isco-Micro-2X-Anamorphic-Lens-for-DSLR-EXTREMELY-Sharp-close-focusing-light-/181444226398?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3eeb2d5e

Which taking lens would work best with this one?

​Based on the calculation from FF's 100mm , 50mm lens on M43 is safe to use.  But if you have small front glass lens, it might work down to 40mm I guess.  BTW, I think the link's price is a little bit over.

Any thoughts on this ISCO Micro 2X for use with the GH4? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Isco-Micro-2X-Anamorphic-Lens-for-DSLR-EXTREMELY-Sharp-close-focusing-light-/181444226398?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3eeb2d5e

Which taking lens would work best with this one?

​this is normal ISCO ultrastar with removed back housing, saves you some size and a bit of weight, i removed that housing from mine, looks the same :)

good lens, sharp, better flares then Kowa H16, but Kowa, to my eye, is more anamorphic, on S35 works great with 50mm

IMG_0977.JPG