Anamorphic Newbie

AaronChicago

​this is normal ISCO ultrastar with removed back housing, saves you some size and a bit of weight, i removed that housing from mine, looks the same :)

good lens, sharp, better flares then Kowa H16, but Kowa, to my eye, is more anamorphic, on S35 works great with 50mm

IMG_0977.JPG

IMO, it cannot beat 16H, only sharpness is comparable.  I think 16h's flare is stronger, but the color is different.  BTW, your lens has better flare(green) than other blue start one.   16h's advantage is wide angle, no others can compete, except LOMO 35mm, but not sure the new SLR one.  Who can tell that, very appreciated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

FInd a Sankor 16D.  These are pretty inexpensive and good for trying anamorphic.  They also have the most beautiful blue lens flare -- rivaling the Lomos.  The guys at vid-atlantic are cool, but don't get a anamorphic fake filter.  If you're going to do that you can buy anamorphic simulation plugins for Premiere Pro.  I'm assuming that's not what you want.  It's not the flares that people want so much with anamorphic.  It's the fact that you're getting a view that's about twice as wide with the same focal length characteristics (depth of field, bokeh etc) as you get with a normal lens.  Lens flare and oval bokeh is just sort of the icing on the cake.

• 1 month later...

a bit off topic, sorry,

does anybody know how to remove a part that is around  front glass?

i stripped all from that ultra star, but that built in hood, and it vignettes a little, before i take a hacksaw :)

thx!

a bit off topic, sorry,

does anybody know how to remove a part that is around  front glass?

i stripped all from that ultra star, but that built in hood, and it vignettes a little, before i take a hacksaw :)

thx!

​You can try to use heat gun.