FM lens discussion???

rook

Hey everybody, I was on a gig and when I came back to the site it seemed the whole discussion went to shit with UNNAMED individuals slinging mud at each other. WTF???

I'd still love to talk to you all about the FM lens and hear your feedback and experiences. I still haven't bought one and want to hear what y'all think.

Anyhoo.... If we are allowed to continue talking about this thing let's do it.

Please post your tests, your thoughts, likes dislikes. What anamorphics you are using etc... I have many questions....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Marco, I'd love to hear your thoughts on using the lens. The ease of use, or difficulties. How long it takes to set up, or to change lenses.

Tell me what you can! And how wide can you go with the taking lens and the cinelux? Wider than 50mm? 40? 35?  Please let me know.

ALSO: You can download a PDF of the delta workflow here: boydhobbs.com-Legend of CE Woolman for Delta.pdf

Rook, thank-you so much for restarting this thread and also the link to Boyd Hobbs' very informative writeup!

I love the look of the FM module + cinelux but have yet to use it with a taking lens shorter than the 58mm (Helios).  Using 15mm LW rods, setup is very straightforward, but swapping out the taking lens is a real pain.  Also, except for cinelux I had little luck with my other anamorphic adapters.  I was looking forward to using my Isco ultra star. :/ 

Quite intrigued with Boyd Hobbs' very clever solution.  The pl mount option is extremely appealing to me since I recently acquired a Sony F3 - hope BH is willing to share his 3D design.

Thanks again,

Marco

Rook, thank-you so much for restarting this thread and also the link to Boyd Hobbs' very informative writeup!

I love the look of the FM module + cinelux but have yet to use it with a taking lens shorter than the 58mm (Helios).  Using 15mm LW rods, setup is very straightforward, but swapping out the taking lens is a real pain.  Also, except for cinelux I had little luck with my other anamorphic adapters.  I was looking forward to using my Isco ultra star. :/ 

Quite intrigued with Boyd Hobbs' very clever solution.  The pl mount option is extremely appealing to me since I recently acquired a Sony F3 - hope BH is willing to share his 3D design.

Thanks again,

Marco

​I agree about the Hobbs project, also intrigued. He casually alludes to printing a PL adapter he 3d printed that takes Schneider spherical backs. But how did he come up with the measurements for the adapter, namely flange distance?

Looking at the 3D CAD drawing and the photo of the FM+Cinelux+PL-mount with the Amira in the PDF, it seems the exact flange distance is not required.  The PL-mount is merely a hollow cylinder accommodating the rear element of the spherical cinelux and allowing it to slide towards or away from the Amira's sensor.  Once focus at infinity is achieved, the 3 screws on the PL-mount are used to lock the lens in place.

I ordered 2 spherical lenses for my cinelux and plan to explore getting a PL-mount made with CNC.

Marco

Looking at the 3D CAD drawing and the photo of the FM+Cinelux+PL-mount with the Amira in the PDF, it seems the exact flange distance is not required.  The PL-mount is merely a hollow cylinder accommodating the rear element of the spherical cinelux and allowing it to slide towards or away from the Amira's sensor.  Once focus at infinity is achieved, the 3 screws on the PL-mount are used to lock the lens in place.

I ordered 2 spherical lenses for my cinelux and plan to explore getting a PL-mount made with CNC.

Marco

​Please post if you have luck with it Marco. I attempted to use a Schneider back after reading the Hobbs paper, but found it very difficult and frustrating to get the exact right sensor distance, by sliding/locking along rails. The step resolution of rail increments seemed too coarse, hence why I determined a proper mount with a set flange distance was needed. Pity, I'd love to have sharp F2! Good luck with your explorations.