BM micro cinema grip and LCD

wolf33d

Who is launching this on kickstarter first?

a small hand grip with back LCD that goes INSTEAD of the LPE6 on the camera back and screw in the bottom mount. And you now put the LPE6 inside the grip.

just imagine a perfect pocket camera, you remove the grip/lcd when used on drone or helmet.

If I had resources I would launch that right away, can't belive black magic did not think about it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It has buttons on the front right face/corner. And I bet there'll be a way to get a touchscreen going with it. HDMI has the ability to transfer info/commands, my BluRay headunit can control my TV for instance (same brand so made to do this, but the only connection is HDMI). Does the Video Assist have a touchscreen? It's most likely a smartphone panel so I would think so.

I know it has buttons. But I can't imagine they give control over everything a regular camera interface does, like changing aperture/shutter, formatting an SD card, activating peaking, zooming in on the image, change the framerate, etc. If they do it must be terrible to use without a screen. I already get frustrated setting up a GoPro on those 10 pixel lcds.

My point is, if the camera has not interface /menus, adding an external lcd is not going to make it a pocket-like camera. 

Who is launching this on kickstarter first?

a small hand grip with back LCD that goes INSTEAD of the LPE6 on the camera back and screw in the bottom mount. And you now put the LPE6 inside the grip.

just imagine a perfect pocket camera, you remove the grip/lcd when used on drone or helmet.

If I had resources I would launch that right away, can't belive black magic did not think about it.

​BM should be the ones to do it.

I guess they didn't think about it? 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It does transmitt the menus through the HDMI, and the menus are fully controlable with the buttons, or with ANY external knob/remote/joystick through their third-party . If you use their own BM Monitor recorder, you add the fanctionality of controling the menu via touchscreen input. 

I actually think the best way is to use the BM monitor/recorder, put behind the LP-E6 battery with some sort of a U shape clasp from the hot show, with small clearance to get the batteries in & out. The recorder has a big bezzle on the outer body to be used as a very food grip. The over 1500$ requires one tiny cable, and the camera will be really really tiny. Both these devices are mucj smaller than you'd think. 

This way you have a pocket camera with upgraded ergonomics, buttons, screen, and a next gen sensor with global shutter, same DR, and 60p recording, that can also be stripped down for drone use, plus of course the main fix is the battery. 

PLUS the added benefit of being able tp use the recorder/monitor on any other camera/device. 

A SB will work too. 

It's like the perfect modular kit. 

Ebrahim, 4 big flows with this solution:

- the BM screen is also recorder, add cost and bulk for nothing here

- requires a cable : hideous and not convenient on a hand gimbal like nebula 4000

- requires battery for the screen

- where is the grip?

with my solution you have no cable, LPE6 battery powers the screen as the battery is in the grip.. It is a completely whole different thing and I can't see why blackmagic misses the point there...

It does transmitt the menus through the HDMI, and the menus are fully controlable with the buttons, or with ANY external knob/remote/joystick through their third-party . If you use their own BM Monitor recorder, you add the fanctionality of controling the menu via touchscreen input. 

​That's good to know! Makes my issues non existent.

I do agree with wolf33d though.

Wouldn't it be cool if BlackMagic made a system like the Ricoh GXR!?

They already have the most important components: sensor block (Micro Cinema Camera), screen/recorder (Video Assist).

The only thing that is lacking is a housing/grip with some basic controls (and hotshoe for EVF, like the GXR) - and proper connectors to 'click' everything together without cables.

It would become like a URSA Micro :)

maxresdefault.jpg

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Well every concept has flaws, here are mine's advantages: 

-Already available 

-Doesn't require any third party manufacturing 

-Most definitely cheaper 

-Toucscreen interface 

-Dual recordering for backup or long takes 

-Doesn t change anything in the camera, uses the supplied battery for the camera and a identical one for the monitor/recorder. 

-Monitor/recorder can still be used for other devices, 

The flaws in yours are: 

-First you will engineer a grip to LP-E6 interface, design the grip, the firmware and commands for the grip buttons, find an LCD manufacturer, integrate it somehow in the grip 

-Both the LCD, Grip, and camera use one LP-E6 battery , so you'll have to find one that's small and low quality as the one on the original pocket

-You still of course need the HDMI cable, how are you going to transmit the video to the LCD through the LP-E6 pins? 

-You will not have the touchscreen control over the interface as the BM monitor 

-You'll lose the separate recorder function, get a smaller cheaper LCD, lose dual recording option

-The LCD will be fixed in position of the LP-E6 battery , vs anywhere 

-Everytime you separate both units you cut the power off the camera.

-It's basically not practical to make such solution and will probably gonna happen due to the high cost involved for such a niche market and the technical limitations. 

I think my solution is better, more practical, more beneficial for those who want to use the Micro as a camera. 

Again, simply the Micro, behind it the BM video assist, connected by a U shape connector, and go shoot. 

I think I am gonna do it! 

Well every concept has flaws, here are mine's advantages: 

-Already available 

-Doesn't require any third party manufacturing 

-Most definitely cheaper 

-Toucscreen interface 

-Dual recordering for backup or long takes 

-Doesn t change anything in the camera, uses the supplied battery for the camera and a identical one for the monitor/recorder. 

-Monitor/recorder can still be used for other devices, 

The flaws in yours are: 

-First you will engineer a grip to LP-E6 interface, design the grip, the firmware and commands for the grip buttons, find an LCD manufacturer, integrate it somehow in the grip 

-Both the LCD, Grip, and camera use one LP-E6 battery , so you'll have to find one that's small and low quality as the one on the original pocket

-You still of course need the HDMI cable, how are you going to transmit the video to the LCD through the LP-E6 pins? 

-You will not have the touchscreen control over the interface as the BM monitor 

-You'll lose the separate recorder function, get a smaller cheaper LCD, lose dual recording option

-The LCD will be fixed in position of the LP-E6 battery , vs anywhere 

-Everytime you separate both units you cut the power off the camera.

-It's basically not practical to make such solution and will probably gonna happen due to the high cost involved for such a niche market and the technical limitations. 

I think my solution is better, more practical, more beneficial for those who want to use the Micro as a camera. 

Again, simply the Micro, behind it the BM video assist, connected by a U shape connector, and go shoot. 

I think I am gonna do it! 

lol, the flaws you list are the flows of MAKING my solution, not the flows of the product itself.

No cable needed because the grip comes right in the battery compartment and the HDMI output. Basically the grip plugs into the HDMI directly.

If BM would have done it (like the Ricoh in this thread) or if someone does it then this solution is ten times better than having a bulky external recorder with 2nd power, cables and so on. You can list 2000 flows or pros it won't change that!

Now if BM did not do that it must be because they gonna put the same spec of the micro in the pocket body very soon. By no way they marketing around the micro show it's a pocket replacement. So let's see..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/14/2015 at 6:15 PM, Julian said:

BMMCC.jpg

Or something like this :)

Olympus VF-4 external viewfinder. 2.36 million dots, tiltable and very compact. costs only like €200. Would be cool to see a small/cheap optional evf like that which works over hdmi. Shame it's impossible to power it over hdmi.

This is a really nice idea.

I've done some research on the feasibility.  Unfortunately, the view finder is actually an EPSON LCD with 1024 x 768 in resolution 4:3.  (1024*768*3 = 2.36m, 3 is for R+G+B) using a LVDS interface.  The camera outputs HDMI or composite.  Because the HDMI is FHD (1920x1080) 16:9, one will need a LVDS to HDMI driver WITH A scaler to downscale.  Unfortunately, while there are plenty of drivers, most do not downscale.  For those that upscale/downscale none that I could find would actually adjust for different aspect ratios.  You could theoretically replace the Epson LCD inside the viewfinder with a FHD one, but all those are a little larger but only do black and white video.  Because of the larger LCD size, the optics might need to be upgraded or readjusted.

The other option is to use composite video to either drive the viewfinder or a small external LCD monitor, say 4" or smaller.  The problem with this is that composite can only generate up to 480i.  This is probably not good to judge exposure or more importantly critical focus.

Another option is to use the same 5" screen the  BM Video Assist uses or a screen from a high resolution cell phone. Those screens use DSI protocol over LVDS.  Right now, there are no boards that do HDMI to DSI for sale.  There a two boards but they are not for sale ... yet.

One can only keep dreaming.