Blackmagic URSA Mini - $2995 - official thread

Andrew Reid

Radical thought: I hope BMD is saving all the reject 4.6K sensors (which I believe are just ever so slightly too large for the m4/3 mount??) to instead deliver a cut down 4K version of the 4.6K sensor in a new URSA Mini 4K (with 4.6K DR & ISO) MFT! :-D

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Radical thought: I hope BMD is saving all the reject 4.6K sensors (which I believe are just ever so slightly too large for the m4/3 mount??) to instead deliver a cut down 4K version of the 4.6K sensor in a new URSA Mini 4K (with 4.6K DR & ISO) MFT! :-D

I think something like that will happen at NAB, maybe in a BMCC style body with reduced frame rates. Shame we will then have to wait until 2017!

Even though that is my dream camera, more or less, I kind of hope BM just focus on what they promised, last year, though.

Well..... it used to say "in July".

Thus, I would not hold your breath over that January! I shall keep on expecting it to ship *LATER* than they say it will, until they actually end up shipping it.

You're of course right. Even if they really start shipping it by end of January, that means nothing about availability. If it'll ship like products in the past it seems it'll take months to fulfill pre-orders and then will start getting available in stores slowly.

The Video Assist "started shipping" in November and yet it is still not available in Switzerland or Germany, stores list it as "on request", "not available" or "3 to 4 weeks delivery".
The BMPCC on the other hand is available everywhere but is still ~1000€. Even used it sells for 700€ which is crazy when you consider that there was the summer sale for 500$.

I'm not really sure what to make of BMD. They don't seem exactly trustworthy with their business behaviour.

Well..... it used to say "in July".

Thus, I would not hold your breath over that January! I shall keep on expecting it to ship *LATER* than they say it will, until they actually end up shipping it.

I preliminary got myself in the "queue" for the BM Ursa 4.6k, the BMMCC and the Video Assist following promises that the product would ship "about latest September". 

If the cameras were available then, I would of had the money to buy them. Instead, I've had to spend the money elsewhere on other stuff based on the fact I need equipment that's working and ready today, and not "shipping in July or something". 

My interest in the cameras hasn't reduced, however their lack of transparent communication may have lost a few sales. I love what they do, but I'd just be up front and honest with your customers, and tell them when they are ready... even if they are embarrassed to say..."yes, shipping in July, but not in the same year!" ;)

They have a long history of being vague about when stuff will actually be available. The problem is that they do product announcements way too early, I would guess when they have a working prototype rather than after they have built up stock in preparation for release like most other companies do.

• 3 months later...
32 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Dug up an old thread to share some screen shots from a 4.6K video I just shot for photographer Daniel Kelleghan. Full video should be up Monday. I'm so blown away everytime I use the camera. The color and DR is just insane.

Shot in ProRes UHD with the Sigma 18-35.

Hi Aaron! I dig the DR, and color looks quite flexible (but I do still prefer the 4k colors). What do you think of the "motion" of the camera? I always get the impression it's a bit videoish, not as cinematic as the rest of BMD cameras. What do you think?

9 minutes ago, John Emery said:

Hi Aaron! I dig the DR, and color looks quite flexible (but I do still prefer the 4k colors). What do you think of the "motion" of the camera? I always get the impression it's a bit videoish, not as cinematic as the rest of BMD cameras. What do you think?

John, I haven't noticed a different motion than the other BM cams but most of this video is 48 fps slow mo. I've shot a few other things at 24p and didn't notice the motion being videoish. 

3 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Dug up an old thread to share some screen shots from a 4.6K video I just shot for photographer Daniel Kelleghan. Full video should be up Monday. I'm so blown away everytime I use the camera. The color and DR is just insane.

Hey Aaron. Glad to see you like the 4.6k, especially from someone who wasn't sold on it early on. I almost bought one, but my budget took me in other directions and I settled for the Micro for the time being, which I'm pretty happy with so far. I've been so busy working I haven't had the chance to read all the forums, but I'm assuming yours isn't suffering from the magenta vignette so many are panicking about?

6 hours ago, graphicnatured said:

Hey Aaron. Glad to see you like the 4.6k, especially from someone who wasn't sold on it early on. I almost bought one, but my budget took me in other directions and I settled for the Micro for the time being, which I'm pretty happy with so far. I've been so busy working I haven't had the chance to read all the forums, but I'm assuming yours isn't suffering from the magenta vignette so many are panicking about?

Luckily mine doesn't have the magenta vignette problem. I feel bad for the people who are having the problem b/c Blackmagic isn't really acknowledging it. I've tried to help out alot of users who are using the same lenses as me to figure out if there's is defective. It's pretty obvious when it is. If they can get that problem sorted out it's gonna be a huge hit. I love the Micro camera too. The images look great.

1 hour ago, Taranis said:

They don't acknowledge it? Demonstrations like this show it's undeniably there:

It's surprising that he didn't throw the image out of focus when shooting, but such a test really needs to be done without a lens.  To prevent dust from reaching the sensor, tape a small pane of glass to the opening of the lens mount.

2 hours ago, Taranis said:

They don't acknowledge it? Demonstrations like this show it's undeniably there:

There's no doubt that they know it's there, they just haven't made an official statement of the cause or remedy. THere's an overall magenta cast that is totally fine, and is easy to fix with a tint slider (which they're adding in firmware 4.0). At first they thought that people were complaining about the overall cast but that's not the issue for some. I bet in the next couple of weeks BM will make some kind of statement.

17 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

John, I haven't noticed a different motion than the other BM cams but most of this video is 48 fps slow mo. I've shot a few other things at 24p and didn't notice the motion being videoish. 

Thanks for sharing your impressions! Dunno, I've never tried to love a camera so hard... On paper it ticks all the boxes, even when it comes to screen shots it looks great (that's why I mainly blame the motion). But I still haven't seen any footage from the 4.6K that feels truly cinematic (for my standards that is). Some footage looks great, but it's just missing that BM cinematic mojo. And I've seen plenty of nice cinematic stuff coming from bm4k, bmcc, and bmpcc...

Once it's available I'll rent it out and give it a try.

37 minutes ago, John Emery said:

Thanks for sharing your impressions! Dunno, I've never tried to love a camera so hard... On paper it ticks all the boxes, even when it comes to screen shots it looks great (that's why I mainly blame the motion). But I still haven't seen any footage from the 4.6K that feels truly cinematic (for my standards that is). Some footage looks great, but it's just missing that BM cinematic mojo. And I've seen plenty of nice cinematic stuff coming from bm4k, bmcc, and bmpcc...

Once it's available I'll rent it out and give it a try.

It's possible that since it's new, everyone is trying to show off the DR and the super polished/clean look. I don't think it would be hard at all to make it cinematic. There's a lot of things that make a shot cinematic such as lighting but you could crush the hell out of the contrast and add some grain. Desaturate a little bit. Use a Tiffen Digital Diffusion filter. I may try to rough it up a bit for a test soon.

4 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

It's possible that since it's new, everyone is trying to show off the DR and the super polished/clean look. I don't think it would be hard at all to make it cinematic. There's a lot of things that make a shot cinematic such as lighting but you could crush the hell out of the contrast and add some grain. Desaturate a little bit. Use a Tiffen Digital Diffusion filter. I may try to rough it up a bit for a test soon.

That's what I've been hoping these last months... it's probably a DR showoff/ entirely new beast thing. But it's just feels discomforting not seeing at least one of those videos that you can just say "that's it", and I'm not talking about high end production stuff, just someone in their backyard getting some nice cinematic results. But all in all, I've still got an eye on it, so if you end up doing a "rough test", please let us know.

On 29 April 2016 at 2:29 AM, AaronChicago said:

Shot in ProRes UHD with the Sigma 18-35.

Kelleghan.jpg

Kelleghan02.jpg

kelleghan03.jpg

Nice shots Aaron. 

I love the image. What's the 120fps like? Get to try it out? 

Whats the weight like/handling? 

Move honestly skipped this prospect as I need a smaller body with high end features. Like the Terra. The 4.6k is too big for my current grip gear.