Blackmagic URSA Mini - $2995 - official thread

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

ISO is strangely not mentioned.  I did see the clip with some low light shots,  but I would like to see some numbers also. 

And yes,  the FS7 is not dead yet. For this kinda money I trust Sony much more than BM. So to win my $$$ this camera has to be better on just about every front. 

Wow, that heatsink is impressive!

What format do they use for 4:1 raw? Does Cinema DNG support a compression like that?

I like the compressed raw. Wouldn't surprise me if 4:1 is still better than ProRess 422, with just a small 'weight' penalty.

Storage Rates

4608 x 2592
CinemaDNG RAW 3:1 - 180 MB/s
CinemaDNG RAW 4:1 - 135 MB/s

3840 x 2160
Apple ProRes 444 XQ - 312.5 MB/s
Apple ProRes 444 - 165 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 HQ - 110 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 - 73.6 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 LT - 51 MB/s
Apple ProRes Proxy - 22.4 MB/s

1920 x 1080
Apple ProRes 444 XQ - 62.5 MB/s
Apple ProRes 444 - 41.25 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 HQ - 27.5 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 - 18.4 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 LT - 12.75 MB/s
Apple ProRes Proxy - 5.6 MB/s

Storage rates based on 30 frames per second.

just got the newsletter from blackmagic..these are the new products...the best part is that it uses canon batteries LP-E6! Canon must be so excited (not) well at least they will sell alot of batteries now for the micro and mini

• Blackmagic URSA 4.6K Models
  • - Blackmagic URSA Viewfinder
  • - Blackmagic URSA Mini
  • - Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera
  • - Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera
  • - DaVinci Resolve 12
  • - Fusion 8 Studio
  • - Blackmagic Video Assist
  • - Teranex Mini 12G-SDI Converters
  • - ATEM Broadcast Studio 4K
  • - HyperDeck Studio 12G
  • - Smart Videohub 12G 40x40
  • - Smart Videohub CleanSwitch 12x12
  • - ATEM Talkback Converter 4K
  • - UltraStudio 4K Extreme
  • - DeckLink 4K Pro

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The 2995$ is still a wonderfull deal yes. You get all the mini ursa benefits, so if you like the production camera 4k sensor/image then this is great. It will even be a better deal if the sensor can be swapped later to the new glorious 4.6k one for 2000$, but it's not mentioned so maybe it's a feature reserved for the full URSA. I will get the 2995$ 4k body if the sensor can be upgraded later, if it can't I'll save up for the 4995$ version, hey still cheaper than a C100!

Come on folks, this looks great but it is a bit early to announce the death of Canon/Sony/Panasonic etc.

We have all used BM products, there are always issues. The Canon will be bullet proof, Sony only slightly less... They have NDs, small battery solutions, global service centers.

I'm buzzed about this camera... But let's hold fire on the age old debate about X being dead, long live Y.

​The death of Canon and SONY - nope and I too don't like the phrase " A ___canon,sony,panasonic___ killer".... blah blah.

Black Magic bugs not withstanding its really about value.  The difference between Canon and this camera will be $10,000 though.  Quite a premium for bullet proof and all of that.  I think at the end of the day the most important aspect of this is two fold.

1. It continues to drive competition in the market place.

2. Perhaps even more significant, its giving a clear signal that Black Magic has decided to stay in the camera market.

-------- oh and one more thing, behind the scenes "wink" I'd bet money that once the industry is confident that BMD is in it for the long haul, some engineering talent will find its way from, Canon/Sony/Panasonic to Black Magic Design.  

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

BM only had bugs and reliability issues in their beta days. Now they've been upgraded with firmware and operate just like a Canon and better than a Sony. Only two ''bugs'' they have up until now short of Canon are the lowlight performance, battery option, and audio recording. All of which now clearly eliminated in the URSA Mini 4.6K 4995$ camera. It will most likely operate just like a Canon but at higher performance at 1/4s the price. 

It's a real killing threat. I am not a hype jumper and when the first BMCC was announced I never believed it will be a 5D killer. But this none is one hell of a threat to all the C100/C300/FS7/FS700/Cion and even red scarlets&epics/alexa mini (yet a little less of a threat for their reputation as the high-end kings to clients)

I’m a little disappointed that besides PL, they only offer EF-mount. I still have some nice Canon FD glass lying around and would love to use it on one of Black Magic’s S35 cameras. A mount with less flanke-distance than EF would have been awesome.

The ISO maxes out on the Mini at 1600...that means its a bit better than the Pocket...but still sucks (if you enjoy low light shooting)

Basically the same as a GH4.

Hardly the death of Canon or Sony.

Blackmagic cams are designed to shoot in the daytime, or the studio. Period.

It does not have ND filters, so "the one-man band" speed shooting claim is a joke.

Sony FS700 and especially the Canon C300 Mark ll blow this out the door. (for many more reasons than shared here).

It's a real killing threat. I am not a hype jumper and when the first BMCC was announced I never believed it will be a 5D killer. But this none is one hell of a threat to all the C100/C300/FS7/FS700/Cion and even red scarlets&epics/alexa mini (yet a little less of a threat for their reputation as the high-end kings to clients)

​Well i think we need to wait and see how these 15 stops look.

BMPC4k is supposed to be 12 stops and real life test are showing 8 visible stops. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The ISO maxes out on the Mini at 1600...that means its a bit better than the Pocket...but still sucks (if you enjoy low light shooting)

Basically the same as a GH4.

Hardly the death of Canon or Sony.

Blackmagic cams are designed to shoot in the daytime, or the studio. Period.

It does not have ND filters, so "the one-man band" speed shooting claim is a joke.

Sony FS700 and especially the Canon C300 Mark ll blow this out the door. (for many more reasons than shared here).

​Well i think we need to wait and see how these 15 stops look.

BMPC4k is supposed to be 12 stops and real life test are showing 8 visible stops. 

​Look at the footage on the main full ursa 4.6k page. 15 stops seems real, deep clean shadows with deep highlight information outside sunny windows, almost looks cheesy HDR-ish! Dark night shots clean as a whistle with incredible colour on skin and noiseless on a night street. Plus a certain magic filmic rendition unavailable from any Canon or Sony (Maybe c300 mk II image will blow us away though). I think that new 4.6K sensor is magical. But lets see more footage to confirm.