Blackmagic URSA Mini - $2995 - official thread

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Nice video with the new sensor half way down the main URSA page

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursa

​That new 4.6k sensor looks AMAZING. And you can it in a mini URSA for 4K $ with a small super light rugged handhold able design & grip and pro connections, just perfectly designed. C100/FS7 are in real REAL trouble since it takes cheap large batteries AND performs great in lowlight too AND has the best broadcast small 422 prores PLUS film Raw and ProRes 444. Only thing C100/300/fs7 can argue now is the NDs, but that's kind of lame.

They're not lying about that DR, I forgot how HDR video looks until I saw this, pure organic glory. look how there isn't a single clip in harsh daylight, and the incredible shadow cleanness while maintaining the day windows. Even lowlight seems perfect with these clean super dark night shots. It also maintains that BM 35mm film feel, something you don't see in cameras other than f35, alexa, bolex and BM cameras, it's a secret organic mojo noone gets right, certainly not Canon, sony or paasonic... AND It's a heavily compressed web video so imagine how it looks in real life ProRes & Cinema dng. Best modern image I've ever seen as a camera nerd. Resolution, DR, colour science, lowlight richness, not a hint of artefacts, rich clean shadows, filmic highlight roll off, the entire deal, even a global shutter mode for sports!

I mean how would all these huge semiconductor corporations cant make a sensor with this image & specs while this guy can? doesn't make since!

Who the heck made this sensor out of the blue?!

As a gimbal owner both these cameras are something to be excited about. Any word about ISO? Also, I'm curious about the URSA mini's power options. Is there a four pin XLR behind the V Mount. That'd be great then I could run it off LIPO's when going super light. Also, is there a difference in frame size btw 4k and 4.6k? I'll hold off on pulling the trigger on the FS7 for now.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

NOTE: The $2995 URSA Mini is capped at 12 stops of DR.

​It comes at 2995$ with old 4K Cmosis sensor (which is still an incredible deal giving us that new body for the Production camera price) . For the 4.6K glorious 15 stops sensor you add an extra 1.5K$ or so. 

Either way it seems to me that Canon has some issues here with either the $2,999 version or he $4995 version...ala the XC10 and C300 MKII respectively.  Depending on the images - how could you possibly rationalize spending $15,000 over $4995.  I was about to sell my EF glass but now......not so much.  I could see how (down the road) my GH4 could be my B camera........... just sayin..........

Come on folks, this looks great but it is a bit early to announce the death of Canon/Sony/Panasonic etc.

We have all used BM products, there are always issues. The Canon will be bullet proof, Sony only slightly less... They have NDs, small battery solutions, global service centers.

I'm buzzed about this camera... But let's hold fire on the age old debate about X being dead, long live Y.

Just read the BM spec sheet. 4 pin XLR, great! This thing will fly on a coptor. Their handheld V plate kit is 395.00. Another great deal. What'd really like to know is if the PL and EF can be swapped out. Or are they going the old Canon route of having to buy another camera, If anyone at NAB can find out.....

Looks like they are swappable. BTW, C300ii has swappable mounts, though you have to send it in to do so.