Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The new 5DSr review on The Camera Store is shot on the XC10 and a little review at the end. Nothing new, except for a one important point they brought up, he says the grip is not comfortable because there's no space for the fingers between the lens and grip, no clearance, is that true for any one who used it? Closer to the body than say a Rebel grip to the body? That would be a 'very important design flaw. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

The new 5DSr review on The Camera Store is shot on the XC10 and a little review at the end. Nothing new, except for a one important point they brought up, he says the grip is not comfortable because there's no space for the fingers between the lens and grip, no clearance, is that true for any one who used it? Closer to the body than say a Rebel grip to the body? That would be a 'very important design flaw. 

Seems like the ergonomics of the XC10 were done by Canon's new junior team or something. The grip isn't the only problem. It has no ISO button!

Footage from the cx10 on the camera store tv's video I thought looked pretty bad, but they hardly even talked about it. Weird mushy contrast and clipping. Maybe it was the grade or because I didn't watch at the full resolution

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

There's a few simple design tweaks that would make it a very ergonomic camera, like making the screen fully articulating, having the same 5D button configuration on the grip but rotatable (4 buttons fit there easily and 2 dials on the 5D grip and the three on the XC10 body would be perfect), and just give it the C100 or 5D menus, why a new UI. Plus the Loup should have been made similar to Zucoto's and can flip up and be locked up. Very simple tweaks. 

A click of the "joystick" opens the quick function menu, which is customisable. There you can have the ISO in spot number one.

To leave the menu is not as tricky as Digitalrev made it out to be. Just double click menu.

Also one can record from the fn menu. Not as good as not having an ISO button but maybe not the end of the world either. 

Thanks Mattias, not a complete hassle I see. Problem is Canon have accustomed me to their dedicated ISO button! 

Footage from the cx10 on the camera store tv's video I thought looked pretty bad, but they hardly even talked about it. Weird mushy contrast and clipping. Maybe it was the grade or because I didn't watch at the full resolution

You thought so? I just saw it and it looked much warmer, punchier, than their previous episodes

recorded with either Sony or Panasonic cameras. The skin-tone difference is enormous. The host's skin looks much better in this review.

The greenery looked nice. Not Lord of the Rings sharp, but really clear. (I did notice huge CA when they do a tilt-shot with the big trees in the woods)

So another case of Canon colours on the XC10?

• Super Members

Wait. You'd buy this over a C300? :p

@Mattias : I guess you have it on a try & return basis? Or did you really felt you needed to have this?

Try&return but its looking like i will keep it. Have been so close to buying a XA20 or Xf100 for years now. Love the HMC151 I borrow from work every know and then. 

Here is a test from today, I had zero time for grading so I just used some of my presets. No time for a Tripod either.. No keying or power windows.
So it is what it is :)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Deep crushed 100% blacks look video-ish to me, raised blacks look too instagram-ish to me, in-between is adequate, but more towards black than gray, say in a scale from 0 black to 100 grey, somewhere 40. It's a precise point you need to find YOURSELF for you TASTE. 

There's an egyptian saying that goes something like: if it weren't for the variety of people tastes, no product would be sold. It ryhmes on Arabic though soooo, XC10?

Deep crushed 100% blacks look video-ish to me, raised blacks look too instagram-ish to me, in-between is adequate, but more towards black than gray, say in a scale from 0 black to 100 grey, somewhere 40. It's a precise point you need to find YOURSELF for you TASTE. 

There's an egyptian saying that goes something like: if it weren't for the variety of people tastes, no product would be sold. It ryhmes on Arabic though soooo, XC10?

...what?

Crushed "blacker than black" is an important part of the film look. When the light falls off in film, it drops off fast and hard into inky blackness. Go watch any great movie shot on film and you'll see what I'm talking about. 

Murky grey-black screams hipster video, and "don't crush the shadows" has always been a broadcast mantra with nothing at all to do with narrative filmmaking. 

...what?

Crushed "blacker than black" is an important part of the film look. When the light falls off in film, it drops off fast and hard into inky blackness. Go watch any great movie shot on film and you'll see what I'm talking about. 

Murky grey-black screams hipster video, and "don't crush the shadows" has always been a broadcast mantra with nothing at all to do with narrative filmmaking. 

I believe you are both on the same page here really... I think Ebrahim what you really think(correct me if I'm wrong) is that some people tend to crush not just deepest blacks but shadows also so they lose all information in shadows and that looks like crap. I agree that the deepest blacks are mostly crushed in movies but the shadows are just pulled down a little to obtain more contrast but not so much to loose all information, what is the point in high dynamic range then if you throw away all that information in the grade.