Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

I could not imagine that Canon consistently drives the mediocrity.

Yes, they can.

1“ sensor, fixed f2.8-5.6,

64 GB CFast 2.0 for 4k ~ 300,- € !! (64 GB SDXC 10/3 for 4k in GH4 ~ 35 €)

No EVF, touch screen is nice, but it’s not usable when loupe is mounted to it   

2.500 $??!! Get a GH4 with 2.8/12-35 instead and you'll have the real thing.  

I understand better what Canon‘s branding effort means:

“Canon See Impossible” - We see that it is impossible to catch up with competition   

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

well one thing we are missing is that the zoom has 10x range, ill see it at nab and see what focal length the aperture actually starts ramping.

its a 27-270 optical, so if its 27-100 at f2.8 that pretty great!

to get a further range then that on lets say a canon 70-200 at f2.8 youll pay 2k just for the lens.

unless there is a pocket camera from black magic that is 4k with slower frame rates, then this camera might surprise you on how much it will start popping up on productions. not films or commercials mind you, but behind the scenes and docs, like the 5D is limited to now.

i can see using it as a scouting and test shoot camera, seems easier to travel and tote around then a 5D with all the accessories to make it work.

they also mention 10 bit hdmi output, and canon usa says it comes with a cfast card, thats a couple of hundred dollars right there!

Canon's demo film for the camera is out, and yes, it's got the Canon Cinema EOS colors and good looks (while being limited to deep focus cinematography due to lens aperture and sensor size):

So, no, cheaper consumer cameras with similar specs on paper won't replace this.

Canon's demo film for the camera is out, and yes, it's got the Canon Cinema EOS colors and good looks (while being limited to deep focus cinematography due to lens aperture and sensor size):

So, no, cheaper consumer cameras with similar specs on paper won't replace this.

​I totally love this as a short. It's a really fun, well shot parkour/martial arts flick with a twist; however, it's nothing they couldn't do with an RX10.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

​Wow that does look great quality wise. Much more C300 look than small sensor broadcast look. It must be the C-log, colour science and 422 space plus high organic-looking resolution. 

I like the image!

• 1 month later...

​Looks good, but for the price, I cant help thinking you're much better off with a GH4/NX1/NX500 or RX10. I seriously cannot see who the target is, but then again I was never too much of a fan of the Canon Look.

​Looks good, but for the price, I cant help thinking you're much better off with a GH4/NX1/NX500 or RX10. I seriously cannot see who the target is, but then again I was never too much of a fan of the Canon Look.

​Different horses, different courses. I've had the "priviledge" to edit some music videos here in Finland and I've noticed a funny trend. If it's shot on the GH4, it will most likely look like crap. If it's shot even on an old 5dmarkII, it will most likely look pretty nice. Funny.

​Different horses, different courses. I've had the "priviledge" to edit some music videos here in Finland and I've noticed a funny trend. If it's shot on the GH4, it will most likely look like crap. If it's shot even on an old 5dmarkII, it will most likely look pretty nice. Funny.

​Funny as I own GH4 and 5D2 and I don't find 5D2 video that good at all.. too damn soft.  I prefer Blackmagic and Red footage much more

​The GH4 is one of the best video cameras around (for the price of course), you may have been just unlucky with the footage you got. The 5D2/3 videowise dont go anywhere close the GH4, let alone the NX1, and this camera doesnt seem to get close to neither.

• 1 month later...

The footage from this camera (from the pro stuff I've seen) is very organic and superb quality. 

It's a shame the lens isn't a constant f2.8 and the slow motion is 720p. Canon can be very frustrating... but the image quality is always outstanding, I'll give them that. 

I think the camera is worth the money though. If you can't make money from this camera then I'd find something else to do!