Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

Simple.

Canon XC10 is not for filmmakers or people shooting music videos for a living.

This cam is for photojournalists. And/or local news peeps who need to grab some quick interviews/stills. "Live at 5:00 clock it's Bob Weatherford and his Eyewitness 5 News team."

It's small and much less intrusive than a Betacam type camcorder for certain "live action" events happening. 

Hell, a fireman could bolt this thing on his damn helmet and capture brilliant scenes of a house burning down. Ditto for cops chasing some asshole who just robbed a bank.

Will also be used for LIVE music events and concerts. Local and Theatre.

The 4K imaging is perfect for that..and throw it on the Twitter feed.

I spect news agencies will purchase their people this cam..cheap for them.

Also will be used by wealthy soccer moms to record their kids...and some family on their National Lampoon's Vacation.

The target audience will purchase this and Canon will make a ton on this model. The news agencies have reached out to Canon and they responded.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Canon have responded to filmmakers.

They said:  Come and purchase our "C" series line-up of professional camcorders and win your Oscar or your Palme d'Or.

If not, do what you can with our DSLR's. That's the reality. That being said, the Canon 1D C is still a great DSLR (the best) for shooting feature films. (if you must go DSLR)

If not, step up and lay out the big bucks. Canon could give a fuck about people shooting movies for cheap. They want to make money, and they are.

- A fully corrected lens and no artificial software lens correction, as opposed to the badly distorting, in-camera-photoshopped "Zeiss"  and "Leica"  offerings by Sony and Panasonic.

​Are we still beating this dead horse? It's the 21st century, no need to stick with 19th century methods of doing things.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize this might be the thing to finally replace my HMC150. 

Very curious to see how the high ISO performance is, to help offset the slow lens. Most of the small sensor 4K cameras are atrocious in low light it seems.

It seems obvious Canon wants to protect it's higher end products, but get real Canon. $2500 gets you slow fixed glass, and a 1" sensor? As pointed out, Canon would not even have a higher end video line if it were not for the success of the 5D series. I remember the Canon XL-1, awesome for the money at the time, sold like crazy. What happened Canon?  Samsung should put together a rig with a super 35 sensor, internal/external recording with 422 10 bit codec, XLR connectors, internal 4K (like NX-1) and higher bitrate recording options. They have no higher end to worry about cannibalizing. Sell it for 5K or less, and they would OWN the enthusiast market. 

2 FZ1000's and an LX100 will cover a lot more 4k holes and angles than this camera for less money and probably do a better job of it, especially in the LX100's case.    But hey, this is a canon and as far as many are concerned it's the only camera out there.   I'm just not seeing much of a point to this camera..   The C300 though, looks like a fantastic camera for it's intended market.    Isn't the C100 going for 2900 right now?   I'd jump on that before this, even without the 4k. 

When I first saw it I was thinking it would run around 1k to $1300 max.   

ANDREW, I believed you partnered with Dpreview for video ? What is wrong with them ? Can you please tell them how this camera is shit and not what we want ? 

It must be a joke, this camera is sooooo 2010. 

We want a miroless camera from canon that compete A7S. 

Native EF Mount, 4K 60fps, 1080p at 120fps, IBIS, 16mpx, Full Frame, in the size of A7S with canon 5DIII body quality, and Nikon/Sony like Dynamic Range. 
That is what we want, not a 1" f5.6 fixed lens 2500USD stuff.... seriously. 
I am mad. 

Reading thru the various forums and comments online and the vid on youtibe, 90% of those comments are either unimpressed or negative.

Admittedly the C300 was not that well received and it found a solid market, but that was a different market and that was then, this is now and its competitors NX1, GH4 A7s offer a lot more for less, and tjhat seems to be the main response to this Camera...time will tell tho I guess, but personally I would not even consider one.

I'll stick with my GH4.

Sony should have something new available soon. Hopefully an affordable 4k camera that can do 50P/60P like the FS7. Panasonic actually have a more affordable 4K 50P/60P video camera, but with a small sensor. It would probably do a better job than this thing though.

At the sky high price of the XC10 I'd rather spend a little more and get an old second hand C100 and glue a 24-105mm f/4 to it. 

But yeah.....  not going to do that either. Instead seriously looking at the Samsung NX1, but waiting to see what NAB brings. 

If the sensor and processing retains the properties from the C-series, the should hold up well in low light despite the slow lens. Highlight processing though seems to be another matter - I'm amazed Canon produces a demo video looking like this - but does the C100 really handle this better?

Simple.

Canon XC10 is not for filmmakers or people shooting music videos for a living.

This cam is for photojournalists. And/or local news peeps who need to grab some quick interviews/stills. "Live at 5:00 clock it's Bob Weatherford and his Eyewitness 5 News team."

It's small and much less intrusive than a Betacam type camcorder for certain "live action" events happening. 

Hell, a fireman could bolt this thing on his damn helmet and capture brilliant scenes of a house burning down. Ditto for cops chasing some asshole who just robbed a bank.

Will also be used for LIVE music events and concerts. Local and Theatre.

The 4K imaging is perfect for that..and throw it on the Twitter feed.

I spect news agencies will purchase their people this cam..cheap for them.

Also will be used by wealthy soccer moms to record their kids...and some family on their National Lampoon's Vacation.

The target audience will purchase this and Canon will make a ton on this model. The news agencies have reached out to Canon and they responded.

​+1. the market for these wont mind the price and the body wont need much in the way of rigging. will this camera run ML? probably not relevant given canon's new codec.