Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

21 hours ago, henricus said:

Thanks! I guess it’s time to tryout the 4K ?

I got mine for $700 ?

So it’s best to keep the aperture above F3.5? ? I did shoot a lot of test footage at F2.8..

You may have seen this, but I shot this when I first bought the camera. Looking at this footage reminds of how crazy easy the camera is to shoot with and how good the stabilizer on the long end is crazy good. 

The shots at :09 were shot on the "standard" profile I believe, with the NR and Sharpening all the way down. They seem to have a thicker color than the other clips I shot. You could easily cut shots like that with a C300 and not notice. 

The indoor shots are all ETTR (expose to the right, kept the clouds jammed to the right on the histogram.) The highlights are so soft I don't think it would matter if they clipped anyway. 

Sequim.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/2/2018 at 4:35 PM, henricus said:

I have now attached a 2 stop ND filter, this together with the built in 3 stop ND filter shoukd make it easier to keep the iso low enough.

ISO?? Are you confusing ISO and shutter speed with each other?

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

ISO?? Are you confusing ISO and shutter speed with each other?

yep ;)

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Can you switch it over to NTSC? Maybe then you can see 24p as an option??

not possible

3 hours ago, BenEricson said:

You may have seen this, but I shot this when I first bought the camera. Looking at this footage reminds of how crazy easy the camera is to shoot with and how good the stabilizer on the long end is crazy good. 

The shots at :09 were shot on the "standard" profile I believe, with the NR and Sharpening all the way down. They seem to have a thicker color than the other clips I shot. You could easily cut shots like that with a C300 and not notice. 

The indoor shots are all ETTR (expose to the right, kept the clouds jammed to the right on the histogram.) The highlights are so soft I don't think it would matter if they clipped anyway. 

Sequim.jpg

Yes I have seen it already. This is one of the great examples what the XC10 can do! And I thought that was all done in C-log..

Can you elaborate a bit on what your grading process was like with the XC10? I like the natural look of your footage. 

When you say standard, do you mean profile 1 or 2?

I am testing 4k c-log 500 iso now, looks much better already! It seems like it is best to ETTR just a bit from reading of the camera's meter.

17 hours ago, henricus said:

yep ;)

not possible

Yes I have seen it already. This is one of the great examples what the XC10 can do! And I thought that was all done in C-log..

Can you elaborate a bit on what your grading process was like with the XC10? I like the natural look of your footage. 

When you say standard, do you mean profile 1 or 2?

I am testing 4k c-log 500 iso now, looks much better already! It seems like it is best to ETTR just a bit from reading of the camera's meter.

I was using the C300 Log 2 or 3 LUT? Probably not the proper way to do it, but I am happy with the results.

Sorry, I can't remember which profile it was. Early on people were recommending it as the best profile with the least amount of NR.

4 hours ago, BenEricson said:

I was using the C300 Log 2 or 3 LUT? Probably not the proper way to do it, but I am happy with the results.

Sorry, I can't remember which profile it was. Early on people were recommending it as the best profile with the least amount of NR.

Thanks!

You also used that c300 log lut for the standard profile? 

10 hours ago, BenEricson said:

• 1 month later...