Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What do you use? I have an old WhiBal card but it's just a little too small and finicky. I've been spoiled by shooting MLRAW for the past few years where I could set WB after the fact. 

I'll pick up a Lastolite Ezybalance tomorrow and check it out. Generally I'm happy with the gradability of 4K 422, but I've been finding the colours to be a bit murky and videoish in some shots. Now I don't expect the level of colour separation I can achieve with RAW, but it would be nice if this was due to a green - magenta cast that can be white balanced away. 

11 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

C-LOG is absolutely amazing. The absolute zero sharpening of the picture profile really brought out the look of the type of diffusion I was using. Very smooth, very filmic look with that deep depth of field of super 16mm and Canon color I love it. Im still getting used to the camera but so far so good. 

IMG_7259.PNG

IMG_7261.PNG

IMG_7263.PNG

IMG_7264.PNG

IMG_7266.PNG

IMG_7269.PNG

IMG_7278.PNG

IMG_7280.PNG

IMG_7282.PNG

Do these women just walk up to you and start posing? Lol. 

2 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

What do you use? I have an old WhiBal card but it's just a little too small and finicky. I've been spoiled by shooting MLRAW for the past few years where I could set WB after the fact. 

I'll pick up a Lastolite Ezybalance tomorrow and check it out. Generally I'm happy with the gradability of 4K 422, but I've been finding the colours to be a bit murky and videoish in some shots. Now I don't expect the level of colour separation I can achieve with RAW, but it would be nice if this was due to a green - magenta cast that can be white balanced away. 

what PP are you using ? 

5 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

what PP are you using ? 

I do my colour work in After Effects, 32 bit, Rec709 workspace. My effects order looks something like this:

Ginger HDR Color Temp (correct or add colour cast)

Color Finesse (tweak exposure and saturation)

Look Lut 

Levels (final exposure tweak)

11 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@hyalinejim we should get a thread going about this ! Hopefully we get enough user support to convince Canon to disable that NR. It would be amazing if Magic Lantern hacked this thing for 1080 raw 

I think ML devs said that they will not try to develop Magic Lantern for the Cinema EOS series.

As teh XC10 & XC15 are part of the Cinema EOS cameras, they will not be a target for ML. (Let's hope they try one day :D )

• Super Members

My guess is that they won't do it mainly because they have no idea how at this point.
Same reason why the EOS-M3 never will get ML, it doesn't have the same firmware structure as the original M. It instead shares the software with the Canon compact P&S cameras.
With the 1DC there was a rumor that they had been "threatened" by Canon. My guess is that the biggest reason is because there never has been any firmware updates publicly released for the 1DC. So where would they even start. Unless they did some seriously criminal things to get hold of it.

On October 18, 2016 at 4:44 AM, kidzrevil said:

C-LOG is absolutely amazing. The absolute zero sharpening of the picture profile really brought out the look of the type of diffusion I was using. Very smooth, very filmic look with that deep depth of field of super 16mm and Canon color I love it. Im still getting used to the camera but so far so good. 

IMG_7266.PNG

Any chance you could host some of that C-LOG footage? I have been using the c300ii at work and it has a magical color quality. It kinda looks like the XC10 is similar in that regard.

1 hour ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

It seems like an artifact of aggressive temporal NR.

I honestly thinks its in fact the temporal NR. I don't see any of the compression artifacts I used to see in h.264 codecs with low bitrates @tugela

Agreed ! I've been pleasantly surprised with CLOG and how easy it is to grade. @BenEricson

here is my first attempt at CLOG

7 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

I honestly thinks its in fact the temporal NR. I don't see any of the compression artifacts I used to see in h.264 codecs with low bitrates @tugela

Agreed ! I've been pleasantly surprised with CLOG and how easy it is to grade. @BenEricson

here is my first attempt at CLOG

Cool pans. The color looks great. Love the final Chuck Taylor shot. 

Btw, it does really look filmic.

Looking forward to an xc20 or something with like a 28-85 f1.4 lens

Heh - I think that might reduce the stealth factor a bit!

More seriously, I'm reasonably happy to forego a constant fast aperture for the sake of the amazing reach. That, coupled with the IS makes the camera (to my mind) a lot more of a proposition than something with a faster constant lens with a much shorter reach would be.