Magic Lantern run Linux 3.19 on Canon DSLRs - download source code

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Magic Lantern just turned your 5D Mark III into a desktop computer.

The cameras (running ARM processor and up to 512MB of RAM) are seen in this video booting into the Linux kernel, version 3.19. The development paves the way for third party apps to run on the camera and to control all functions of the device.

Read the full article - 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I guess it turns your camera into an open source based computer. In theory you can tell it to do whatever you want...load diferent codecs, output via usb instead of sd card slot....I'm by far no expert, but seeing what people do with linux based mini computers(rasbery pi)...plenty of options I guess.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

load codecs? really?

Perhaps install a photo editing software?  install a transcoding app internally? I can't think of many uses, install apps like games, what else?

This

What could this be beneficial for? 

​A completely custom GUI to run the camera- with complete control over everything: not running any of Canon's firmware would be possible. Instead of hacking on top of existing firmware/OS, now it's possible to completely take over: potentially higher performance, new functions/features. Loading codecs- not likely however if there's any way to access the custom hardware to perform debayering at a higher quality, then sending to the custom hardware for H.264 encoding at a higher bitrate, it could be possible to have RAW-like resolution with H.264. If possible to access the debayer hardware as well as individual elements of H.264 hardware, such as the DCT, it could be possible to create something compatible with ProRes (not likely the ARM processor can do everything by itself).