Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 2.8 DDR

mercer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Meyer-Optik Görlitz Domiplan , Zeiss Jenas and Pentacons are all similar they where competing agaist each other in the 60s and 70s

then they all merged into one company

My favourite out of this lot is the A.Schacht Edixa - Travenar - A 2.8 50mm

this lens just has something about it that makes it stand out , its low contrast , a bit soft but has a certain mojo when used fully wide open an 2.8 -

its definately has the FILMIC CINEMATIC look we all like!! its just very good on digital cameras

I use it alot on pop videos for shooting mediums and close ups especially faces

Meyer-Optik Görlitz Domiplan , Zeiss Jenas and Pentacons are all similar they where competing agaist each other in the 60s and 70s

then they all merged into one company

this lens just has something about it that makes it stand out , its low contrast , a bit soft but has a certain mojo when used fully wide open an 2.8 -

its definately has the FILMIC CINEMATIC look we all like!! its just very good on digital cameras

Thanks, I'll have to look out for one. These German lenses aren't as easy to come by on this side of the pond. 

I have read that after the "merger" the quality control wasn't as good, but are the optical qualities the same?

Sorry about all of these questions, but since you are the resident lens expert, I thought you may know. These zeiss lenses I just bought are my first foray into German glass. From the footage I have seen online, I think I may like it better than Japanese glass. Of course, I will always love my Minolta MCs and MDs and my Pentax K version lenses. 

​Schacht was a West German brand with no relation to the East German companies you mentioned.

Yes but it was a competing brand from the same era making every similar lenses -there was a big competing lens market back then East v West Germany all of a very high standard .....don't forget Zeiss West Germany with their amazing Distagons .People on here are looking for the lenses with character from that era.