Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 2.8 DDR

mercer

So, I have found myself in a little bit of a quandary... I am at a point where I need to sell off some lenses and as I am going through my collection, deciding which lenses to keep and which to let go, I have rekindled my love of lenses.

So, of course I went to eBay to browse and searched some forums to learn.

Amidst my searches, I became reacquainted with the Zeiss Jena m42 lens. This was actually one of the first lenses I ever bought but I was desperately trying to build a set of lenses, so I never even tested this lens before selling it. Anyway, I came upon a good sample, and watched a few videos and I must say I am very impressed. The iq seems really nice, even wide open and it flares beautifully. I know it is a basic Tessar design but, from the videos I saw, there just seems to be something poetic about the lens.

So, needless to say, I bought the lens, it should be here in a few days.

Does anyone have experience with this lens and are there any recommendations on building a set of Jena lenses in the m42 mount?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was chatting with the guy who filmed this footage yesterday, one of the reasons I did a Zeiss M42 search. I assume that's the flektogon variant... I will definitely keep my eye out for one of these. Absolutely stunning and I just love the 35mm focal length on crop sensor cameras. 

Thanks. 

You really cannot go wrong with takumars. I have the fast 50. The fifty f2. The 35mm 3.5. And the 20mm 4.5. It's a very nice set of lenses. I also like Pentax M lenses and Minolta  lenses. All very nice. But if I had my dream set of lenses... Hmm... Maybe a set of old cinema 16mm lenses from Kern or Schneider, or obviously Zeiss. How about you?

I know a little bit about vintage lenses, but by no means an expert, although I am obsessed with them.

When I bought my first DSLR, for video, I could barely afford the camera, let alone lenses. After briefly messing around with the kit lens, I quickly researched my other options...

And boy did I test out some lenses... Too many. I am great at buying lenses, not so great at selling them. 

While waiting for my 50mm Zeiss Jena to arrive I began searching for the 35mm flektogon, but that lens is out of my budget right now, I'll have to save up for that one. 

But while searching and researching, I learned about Pentacon lenses, which were the budget lens brand in Eastern Germany during the Cold War. While they are not as good as their Zeiss counterparts, they are cheap and have a lot of character, from the videos I've seen online. So of course I needed to test them out.  I picked up a 50mm 1.8 and a 29mm 2.8 for 60 bucks total. 

Anyway, if you want to mess with some vintage glass, the old Soviet options are reasonably priced and have a ton of character. I never owned a Helios, but people love them and you can get them dirt cheap. 

I have some Canon FD (and I do love them) and now I started to buy some M42 lenses: I started with a Zeiss Pancolar 50 f/1.8, a cheap Pentacon 29 f/2.8 and now a superb Zeiss Flektogon 20 f/2.8. 
I'm in love with those lenses and I hope to find a 35 and an 85.

I have some Canon FD (and I do love them) and now I started to buy some M42 lenses: I started with a Zeiss Pancolar 50 f/1.8, a cheap Pentacon 29 f/2.8 and now a superb Zeiss Flektogon 20 f/2.8. 
I'm in love with those lenses and I hope to find a 35 and an 85.

You have some nice lenses there. I am drooling over that Zeiss 20mm, but it is just out of my price range right now. My most expensive lens is a 20mm Takumar that I adore.  How do you like the 29mm Pentacon? I bought one earlier today from Germany for real cheap, but it has a stuck aperture... I figured for the price I'll tinker with it.

the 29mm Pentacon is an odd ball lens and not as good as their 28mm one (not as sharp and more distortion) - I would steer clear of it .

get the Zeiss 28mm f2.8 in m42 if you really need an m42 mount its a better lens thena the Pentacon 29mm

The best 28mm for the money is the Canon FD 2.8 28mm is superb lens and very very cheap on ebay - I use mine alot on a speed booster on micro 4/3 - it gives you the David Fincher wide look ......

the 29mm Pentacon is an odd ball lens and not as good as their 28mm one (not as sharp and more distortion) - I would steer clear of it .

get the Zeiss 28mm f2.8 in m42 if you really need an m42 mount its a better lens thena the Pentacon 29mm

The best 28mm for the money is the Canon FD 2.8 28mm is superb lens and very very cheap on ebay - I use mine alot on a speed booster on micro 4/3 - it gives you the David Fincher wide look ......

Andy, I saw a video with this lens and the flares were fantastic. What is odd about it?

the things that are odd about it also add character to it if you want to use it as an FX lens - its soft and has distortion

it has bendy corners on full frame and CA and flares!!     .......so perfect for an arty fx lens haha!!

it is the Meyer Görlitz Orestegon 2.8/29 that became part of the Pentacon family after the merger

compared to the 28mm Pentacon .....and Zeiss Jena 28mm (which are the same design) which is a nicer/ cleaner normal lens

the are no rules and no schools with lenses - if you like it  ...use it!! simple as that !!

Andy, I have to find the 28 Zeiss :)

I'll put the 29 in the "artistic" kit with the super-odd Helios 58 and the Tokina FD 28-85 ;)

My FD kit is: 20 f/2.8, 28 f/2.8, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8. Do you think they all are better then M42 Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20 f/2.8 and Pancolar 50 f/1.8?
I ask you because I have some ideas about them, but I trust your opinion more then mine ;)

(btw, my idea is: FD are way more "modern" and contrasty, Zeiss M42 are more "organic", maybe  "filmic"). 

Do you think it is good to mix those FD and Zeiss in the same work or it is better to use all FD or all Zeiss?