A little slider stabilisation technique

Fourtogaraffia

Apologies if you've seen this before but I stumbled across this idea recently when I pulled out an old Glidetrack slider for the first time in ages. Even though I mount it on a hefty tripod with a decent sized ball head it, footage would suffer, due to ends not being as well supported as the middle on this metre long slider.

In the past, I'd used two tripods or a couple of lightstands for the setup but obviously it took more time and kit doing it this way.

The other day I realised my old Uniloc tripod's centre column could be configured horizontally, a feature which I've seen on more recent Manfrotto tripods.

By mounting my slider QR plate on one end and cranking the ballhead right the way over, I could set up the slider aligned with the horizontally aligned tripod centre column.

Happily the centre column adjustment knob protrudes vertically just enough to contact the middle of the slider and the foot on the slider at the far end (away from the bullhead touches the base of the centre column. Set up this way, the slider is very stable and of course, setup is now quick and easy and I can mount the camera this way for 'normal' shooting and have the flexibility to immediately use the slider if I wish.

The pics should make it clear - hope this helps someone.

IMG_4521.JPG

IMG_4522.JPG

IMG_4524.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs