A Walk Downtown - Samsung NX1 - 4k Cinematic Test

Micah Mahaffey

Here is another short test using the Samsung NX1. Here I was just seeing how the camera handles in daylight. This camera continues to surprise me in every aspect! I really do believe this could easily be utilized as an A cam on a feature production. 

Lens used is the Samsung 45mm f1.8 2d/3d lens.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've been, too. Got the Sony twice and the Sammy thrice (and kept it). Two quite different beasts and hardly comparable imho. Would have loved to keep both, but couldn't afford it. In the end I ditched the Sony for the bad ergonomics, but I still believe it has the better IQ and more solid files (not to talk about low light even). Just for stills-like landscape shots the NX1 is better due to internal 4K and well, I enjoy shooting with it which with the Sony didn't work that well (except at night, NX1 is horrible in low light or for astro photography). I'll wait for the a7s II, but I just have major issues with Sony, don't believe in them usability and software wise.

this looks beautiful - it looks so sharp and nice - and damn it looks good - it doesn't feel "inferior" at any way to any modern expensive camera like the red epic - well maybe a little less dynamic range and the shutter a tiny bit "shuttier" - but overall this looks crisp and the color looks lovely.

Andrew Reid, broke the ground on this little odd camera from Samsung, and now look at where we are.

Hell yea Andrew!  That's the beauty of word of mouth and the internet.  Anyone out of anywhere can make something and if it's good, it becomes popular.  It's no longer based on marketing and all that!!  It's a beautiful thing!!

Agreed, but samsung needs to work hard on fw updates and has to provide bettebetter features and performance to those who "bet" on this underdog.

​they are releasing firmware updates like twice a month - it takes sony 6 months to release one.  I think they are working very hard.  

​they are releasing firmware updates like twice a month - it takes sony 6 months to release one.  I think they are working very hard.  

Not lately. Last one is 1.22, out at the end of february. And the new nx500 has some fearures more/better than nx1, which is imo not acceptable, considering the difference in price and market positioning.

Not lately. Last one is 1.22, out at the end of february. And the new nx500 has some fearures more/better than nx1, which is imo not acceptable, considering the difference in price and market positioning.

​throw the nx1 into the trash and get another camera!  that's what I would do if I was upset like you.

​throw the nx1 into the trash and get another camera!  that's what I would do if I was upset like you.

Are you fine?? Where am I upset? I simply stated that it's about 1 month that nx1 does not get updated. In the meanwhile, a lower model came with some better specs. This, imo, is not logical and not customer oriented. If for you is different, then express yourself w/o saying silly things to others.

Are you fine?? Where am I upset? I simply stated that it's about 1 month that nx1 does not get updated. In the meanwhile, a lower model came with some better specs. This, imo, is not logical and not customer oriented. If for you is different, then express yourself w/o saying silly things to others.

​I am not fine - I am out of my mind looney.  I want firmware updates every day, damn it.  Come on samsung, come on please.

You know what else isn't logical- life.  It's completely irrational and illogical.  Just like my other favorite thing - love.  I cannot say unsilly things to people - I am sorry Spock, I am.

Next time I will try harder with my forum reply.

Wow I didn't realize that people would get addicted to firmware updates this quickly ^^

It shows how Samsung already changed our vision of our cameras as having a huge potential to unlock - whereas firmware updates used to be only for bug fixing. A little bit like sony (except they charge you a few thousand $$$ for upgrades ;) )

Andrew Reid, broke the ground on this little odd camera from Samsung, and now look at where we are.

:D Really? Samsung (you know, massive corporate business) had a huge marketing budget for the launch of the NX1....  It had a worldwide release with some beautiful 4K videos shot around the world and also a short film by Joseph Gordon Levitt!

:D Really? Samsung (you know, massive corporate business) had a huge marketing budget for the launch of the NX1....  It had a worldwide release with some beautiful 4K videos shot around the world and also a short film by Joseph Gordon Levitt!

​Yea those videos weren't really that impressive to me.  Andrew's flim and his articles convinced me.  Josephe Gordon Levitt is an amazing person and filmmaker - Don John is a great film - but yea, his little hit record short didn't really move me.