Red Weapon Top of Food Chain???

FilmMan

Don't take that table as gospel. I'm sure there are other studies that are more (or maybe less) favorable to higher resolutions. But the 4k hype is largely marketing. 

I think we've pushed resolution really far and we're really lacking in color gamut, dynamic range, framerate, etc. Dynamic range helps low light, too. The old trick of having one lightbulb blow out while underexposing the rest... that feels more real on an HDR image on an HDR tv.

I never meant to get into an argument. I just wanted to say that there are many metrics that define what's at the top (color, resolution, dynamic range, low light, sensor size, "look," etc.) and that NAB will be a really good year this year. And things will change.

But what matters most... composition, story, performance, etc. 

That never changes.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Policar I appreciate your input and agree with 99% of what you said. 

And yes all the other specs you mention are as important, or maybe even more, depending on the kind of movie you make, the kind of contracts you have, etc. And lots of technological advances are marketing - because if you don't have the market(ing) you don't sell, thus there is no advance in technology -. 

In the end I think it is just a matter of context: the job, the client, the budget, and the brodacast (web, tv, cinema, etc.).

Because this debates about 4K very soon disappear if you have the budget to shoot with an Alexa or Red Dragon... :)