Why so much slomo shooting

DigitalEd

I think one quite important reason of slomo on those small test shots on vimeo and youtube is to stabilize the panning. It is much easier to do a fluid handhold panning when you move a bit faster and then slow it down later in post. Also agree with DigitalEd, people getting their nice new cams and lenses (with stabilization in lens or body) and they shoot a flower without panning or a cup of tea with as shallow depth of field as possible...kind of pointless.... I say go out and swing that cam around....in whatever difficult lighting there is. Dont be afraid it does not look nice...thats kind of the point to see where its strong points are and where not.

​The problem with vimeo and youtube is that there're way too many "test". And the "real" stuff is buried under the tons of visual garbage. People don't use their gear to create but to "test"...unfortunately.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​It helps a *lot* for a camera to have (at least) one "killer feature" for it to get attention

For instance the GH4 was first (ICL at a non-insane price) with 4K. Killer feature!
A7s has insane low light. Killer feature!
NX1 lacks a similar "key feature" that can instantly sell itself to the average joe out there. 240fps FHD would be that!

I would agree with that, but what a said camera has feature wise today, is common technology tomorrow, so, I would rather see this NX1 go the route of making it a camera that has all the basic feature sets first and foremost.

Yeah, we've got way too many videos like this:

Yes, we do. But on the other hand all of them are not necessariy​ bad. And they can be pretty handy if you are in market for a new camera. But - as I mentioned earlier the problem is there're way too many of these around the web. And sure, it's easier to make these test than meaningful project. And what works on internet more then elsewhere, is that people do what everyone else is doing. And that creates almost endless circle until the hype dies. 

BTW, I was just poking fun at Ed with that link to his own slo-mo test.

I personally think it's totally fine for people to put up their own test videos online. Some are scientific, some aren't. Sometimes they're helpful, often not. Yes, there's an over-saturation of media online these days, but it's only going to continue. Complaining about it isn't going to help anything. 

I personally think it's totally fine for people to put up their own test videos online. Some are scientific, some aren't. Sometimes they're helpful, often not.

Yes, it's ok. You can do whatever you want with your camera and your footage. But it's pity that people don't use their gear to film their environment in more meaningful way than just test that has been done x times before and its benefit is close to zero.

Complaining about it isn't going to help anything. 

​Well, it's debatable. But I don't expect high impact... as none cares. The old good days when critique had an influence to kick up a debate are gone.

there never were good old days - youtube and vimeo started in 2007/ 2008.  We are in the infancy of online video sharing.

​I was talking about 60s and 70s :o) at that time critique had much bigger audience and influence and critique itself was evolving more than ever....

​I was talking about 60s and 70s :o) at that time critique had much bigger audience and influence and critique itself was evolving more than ever....

​well american new wave and french new wave were amazing - I give you that!  yes those were the glory days of film - but also how much crappy stuff came out back then?  I wasn't alive back then so I am not a good person to ask - maybe we should interview film critics who were around back then and do a film on that - has film gotten better or worse with the democractization of filmmaking?  

that would be a cool mini doc

who wants to make it?

​well american new wave and french new wave were amazing - I give you that!  yes those were the glory days of film - but also how much crappy stuff came out back then?  I wasn't alive back then so I am not a good person to ask - maybe we should interview film critics who were around back then and do a film on that - has film gotten better or worse with the democractization of filmmaking?  

that would be a cool mini doc

who wants to make it?

​But not only those days. But we praise 60s and 70s "waves" because they don't feel that old as Griffith or Feuillade...

Of course there were tons of crappy movies! No doubts about it. But if you read about how Godard and the other struggled to get a little money to make their film! It's much easier. On vimeo there're many user that have about the same budget but they "probably" never make a movie with such high impact as those films. 

Another example - Mekas had to borrow money to buy his first bolex. Let's say that bmpcc/ghX is about the same level as Bolex. But you don't have to take a loan to buy these cameras...to make 1000 use isn't that difficult if you want even if your job is badly paid....

There's something that bothers me when people say stuff like "overused". If you go to 500px.com and look at photos long enough, they will all start to blend into one another and everything will look "overused". Don't spend that much time looking at "overused" stuff. One day its DOF, the other day its slowmo and then its another thing. Forget about that. Would you limit your style because someone has seen something like that ON THE INTERNET? Oh hell no.

​I'm in full agreement with this. Sounds like some of you need to go out and create YouTube and Vimeo groups for the cameras of your choice, then moderate them for no things that bother you.