NX1 workflow with iFFmpeg 5.4

classicam

Hi I just got my NX1 yesterday! I'm using iFFmpeg 5.4 decoding to prores. What's optimal setting to exporting in prores? I've test all the different settings in the prores drop-down menu but I got the exact same file size regardless the setting I selected. Did I miss anything? Any input will be much appreciated! Can anyone share their iFFmpeg workflow please? Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A forum member pointed us to your question about ProRes and iFFmpeg so we thought we could answer your question publicly.  

It is important to know FFmpeg has three different ProRes encoders: ProRes, ProRes Kostya and ProRes Anatolyi

ProRes and Kostya are both very good encoders though Kostya is the only capable to encode 4444.

Kostya is considered to be the best according the FFmpeg devs but it is way slower. iFFmpeg versions prior to 5.4 used the Kostya by default. From 5.4 and higher it uses ProRes by default - hence the speed increase. Also make sure you are using the latest FFmpeg version. With the latest FFmpeg builds there is no visually difference between both ProRes encoders (ProRes and ProRes Kostya).

So unless you need 4444 colorspace and have the latest FFmpeg builds, ProRes is a good choice. Noteworthy, if you choose 4444, iFFmpeg automatically select ProRes Kostya. So no need to change this manually.

About bitrate/filesize:

The bitrate/filesize depends which Profile you use (Proxy, LT, SQ, HQ and 4444).

But you can also experiment with -qscale

This FFmpeg option determines the quality of the ProRes movie - and uses quantisers (targets a certain quality instead of a certain bitrate). 0 gives best quality (but huge file size), 32 means worst quality. A value between 9 and 13 gives good results in general. If harddisk room is no issue, you can bring it down to 5

Keep in mind, lower values will result in such big bitrates that it cannot be played on a lot of hardware. As said, -qscale is for the more adventurous users. In most cases you just choose the Profile.

If you have any more questions about iFFmpeg, please send a mail to info@iffmpeg.com and we help you as fast as possible. Please note we do not actively read this forum.

A forum member pointed us to your question about ProRes and iFFmpeg so we thought we could answer your question publicly.  

It is important to know FFmpeg has three different ProRes encoders: ProRes, ProRes Kostya and ProRes Anatolyi

ProRes and Kostya are both very good encoders though Kostya is the only capable to encode 4444.

Kostya is considered to be the best according the FFmpeg devs but it is way slower. iFFmpeg versions prior to 5.4 used the Kostya by default. From 5.4 and higher it uses ProRes by default - hence the speed increase. Also make sure you are using the latest FFmpeg version. With the latest FFmpeg builds there is no visually difference between both ProRes encoders (ProRes and ProRes Kostya).

So unless you need 4444 colorspace and have the latest FFmpeg builds, ProRes is a good choice. Noteworthy, if you choose 4444, iFFmpeg automatically select ProRes Kostya. So no need to change this manually.

About bitrate/filesize:

The bitrate/filesize depends which Profile you use (Proxy, LT, SQ, HQ and 4444).

This FFmpeg option determines the quality of the ProRes movie - and uses q

About bitrate/filesize:

This FFmpeg option determines the quality of the ProRes movie - and uses quantisers (targets a certain quality instead of a certain bitrate). 0 gives best quality (but huge file size), 32 means worst quality. A value between 9 and 13 gives good results in general. If harddisk room is no issue, you can bring it down to 5

Keep in mind, lower values will result in such big bitrates that it cannot be played on a lot of hardware. As said, -qscale is for the more adventurous users. In most cases you just choose the Profile.

If you have any more questions about iFFmpeg, please send a mail to info@iffmpeg.com and we help you as fast as possible. Please note we do not actively read this forum.

​Thank you so much for leaving the message. I've emailed you some of my screen shots. Seems I can't find any prores profile setting like Proxy, LT, SQ, HQ and 4444. I do have the latest FFmpeg installed. Thanks again for the quick response!

Rocky