SLR Magic Anamorphot 2x on GH4 (16x9 center crop)

Zak Forsman

Took the SLR Magic Anamorphic 2x out this afternoon.

ejwr7vV.jpg

And shot a variety of compositions and taking lenses (35, 50, 85) with some friends who also happen to be terrific actresses.

q1W1eBF.jpg

The top and bottom frames were shot on a GH4 with a Nikon AIS 35mm f/1.4 @ f/5.6 and the middle CU is with a Nikon AIS 50mm f/1.2 @ f/5.6.  

Will post video later.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The SLR 2x seems to really sing with the 35mm, especially with the diopter attached. The 50 and 85 don't seem to fare so well, even at a 5.6 And I'm still not clear, is this a dual focus or single focus lens? It seems to have inherited the zone focus set-up of the 1.33x, but I can't imagine that you can just set the range on the anamorphot and just rack focus with the taking lens. The astigmatism inherent in a 2x system to way too high. Even the vast majority of fixed-focus 1.33x adapters had issues keeping focus across the frame, so with a 2x, constant dual-focusing seems to be necessary, unless you add a variable diopter.

It has a bit too much CA and smearing for my taste, reminds me of the Panasonic LA7200.

But it's great to see some real world tests, thanks Zak.

I agree.  Unfortunately it looks like some corners have been cut with the design.  The lens seems to be introducing a lot of fringing at the edges and there seems to be a prominent fringing effect of the actual bokeh - similar to a poorly collimated oct18 squarefront - where the prime is slightly off from the squarefront itself.

also, the requirement to use a 35mm to obtain usable results (even on m4/3) would suggest a big limitation for users of s35 or full frame sensors who will want to use a 50-85mm lens to obtain the same fov.  Does the supplied documentation suggest using on m4/3 only?  I've been waiting to see some stuff shot on bigger sensors

both this and the previous 1.33x version appear to have been reworkings of the century 1.33x anamorphic (premium focusable unit), a seriously flawed design when used on sensors bigger than 2/3".

The chromatic aberration you see isn't the Anamorphot 2x's fault. It's the vintage Nikon taking lenses I'm using. I held the 2x by hand in front of my Sigma 18-35mm and there was not a trace of CA. I've read elsewhere, from another tester, that it is better suited to modern lenses. Waiting for a 72mm > 62mm step down ring to arrive this week so i can experiment more with the Sigma.