A7s vs Canon 'C' - Stealing/Morality/Filmmakers

lafilm

Filmmakers may want to chime in here.

A lot of talk on-line about Sony A7s vs the Canon 'C' series of cameras.

Especially the C100 and C100 ll.

Not sure what most people prefer here, (we can go back and forth about resolution, dr, xlr, nd, etc...) However; if there is one thing that separates these cameras is the stealth factor. There is no doubt the C100 is a small camera....however..

This video below (I'm sure there's even better examples) was just shot in Paris, and if the shooter would have had a C100 or something similar, there's no way he would not have had a reaction - Some bad I believe. (especially the bit with the guy in a intimate moment with his girl)

No doubt every single person looked at him, and saw that tiny camera - and felt safe - and had absolutely no clue in hell he was actually shooting video.

Something to think about if you need/want this kind of footage, or...you're actually shooting a film and need to steal shots.

Phillip Bloom was blasted by several people when he posted his original video with this cam - as it seems almost a tool for private investigators/ police. 

I do agree with Bloom's comments defending himself.  Some people questioned his morality. I do not.

If you're a filmmaker you'll probably do anything to get the shot. What you can get away with the Sony A7s  seems almost criminal. (in a good way if you're a filmmaker).

https://vimeo.com/groups/243026/videos/120768001

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

As long as it's from a respectful distance with respectful intentions there's nothing moral about it, no issues. The French are pretty relaxed about this kind of thing and in a city like Paris they are used to tourists with small cameras.

Berlin where I shoot couldn't be any more different, it's hell.

Full of self righteous idiots who think they have the right to privacy in the streets like it is their fucking bedroom.

I have had countless nasty incidents and harsh stares from people who weren't even in the shot!

It's like trying to capture atmosphere in a lion cage.

I enjoyed the good old days of EOSHD taking my camera around Taipei as in Asia they are perfectly friendly towards you.

As long as it's from a respectful distance with respectful intentions there's nothing moral about it, no issues. The French are pretty relaxed about this kind of thing and in a city like Paris they are used to tourists with small cameras.

Berlin where I shoot couldn't be any more different, it's hell.

Full of self righteous idiots who think they have the right to privacy in the streets like it is their fucking bedroom.

I have had countless nasty incidents and harsh stares from people who weren't even in the shot!

It's like trying to capture atmosphere in a lion cage.

I enjoyed the good old days of EOSHD taking my camera around Taipei as in Asia they are perfectly friendly towards you.

​The UK seems to be going this way, at least the places where people are feeling vulnerable for whatever reason - financial, areas of minorities etc, they instantly assume the worst of any camera.

Honestly I think capturing random people out on the streets in certain situations can not be called filmmaking. There is a big portion of voyeurism in the game. And it is also annoying to have more and more self righous people around capturing every stupid single moment in life with all their DSLRs, cellphones, Ipads, Googleglass, drones, Googlestreetview, satelites and whatever and published to the world next day. Just had been too a great concert and it was so annoying to see all these stupid Iphones everywhere (Why don't the people just enjoy the music and the moment for great memories?).

The only good thing is that we become so used to all the surveillance that maybe one day no one cares anymore of any  imaginalbe humilation in public caputred and published on fucking Youtube by hard-working filmmakers

Why don't the people just enjoy the music and the moment for great memories?

So many reasons.  The ones we might be unaware of though are the most powerful.  ​I tend to believe that this "smartphone-as-proxy-for-witnessing-life-behavior" is a kind of a psychological issue, a subliminal problem.  For example, so many of us have a difficult time accepting their temporal existence.  Capturing moments controls time; proves to oneself that they can govern the journey somewhat.  knowhatimean?

Life's nothing without death.  Ying-Yang.  And whatcha' gonna do about it?  Answer:  Instagram.  

Myself, when I'm actually not working I tend to leave my camera at home.  I prefer flawed recollection.

That said, the GM1 is one of the best stealth cams I've ever used.  Nobody seriously thinks anything worthwhile is happening with that bit of gear.

Shooting weddings, events, or Broll for an organization with people in it, I must say, I get more and more tired of people's fear and dislike for cameras. You're an adult, get over it already.

Getting the stink eye gets old after a while. Just because cameras reveal and remind you of how stupid you look and how dumb you sound, please don't take it out on me.

This is a very nice thread! 

The key is in the intentions. Of course this is about voyeurism, to look what people do normally, not in a staged situation with actors! There is nothing wrong about it!

About the people not living the experience, but shooting it I don't understand them!!! I live in Rome and I see people who didn't watched directly anything. They watched it in their iPads, smartphones, camcorders viewfinders... It's pretty sad. I wonder if in their memories they include metadata like: "The first time I saw the Pantheon I just 20% of battery left and my SD nearly full" "When I arrived at the Coloseum, I made sure the UV filter was tight, format the SD and started shooting".

lol..very true

Intentions is correct...however you cannot hide from the world and you cannot escape it. Should you/can you exploit the world around you?..Hmmmm...

Remember:

'The Last Man on Earth sat alone in a room...there was a knock at the door".