Samsung NX300 / NX2000 / NX1000

IronFilm

Amazon is having a bit of a special right now on the Samsung NX300/NX1000/NX2000

Picked up one for myself, if it is as good (or even better) as a GH2 (as some people have said...) I'll be very happy! Plus it makes for a very cheap entry point into the NX system, who knows... I might get a NX1 later this year? (still haven't made up my mind about NX1 vs A7s vs GH4! Leaning strongly towards GH4, but in no rush at all to buy an expensive top of the line mirrorless camera. I'll probably go for whichever one gets the first *big* discount price drop this year)

Rather a pity about their lens mount, it was a very poor decision by Samsung to make it so long such that a focal reducer can't be made for it. Though if they should next release a "NX2" model which uses all that extra empty space to put ND filters in there, then I'll be a very happy man! And can even perhaps forgive them for their horrible choice in flange length for the NX mount.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, others disagree. And I'll soon be able to see for myself.

And at the dirt cheap price Amazon was selling it, I've got zero doubt I could resell it locally second hand and make a profit on it, if I'm unhappy with it.

Plus the NX300 offers unique features over the GH2 (or any other comparable camera), and that is unique hacking possibilities (as it basically runs Tizen) plus it is easily the cheapest entry point for dabbling with 3D filmmaking (that isn't simply a 3D point and shoot).

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

once picked up the nx300 at a store and went ahead to see how the video performs on this lovely body. Went ahead to set the frame rate/resolution and fpund it recorded at 1920x810 when set to 24p. 1920x1080p only in 30p. I took a one second video in this super adavanced anamorphic aspect ratio, played it back on the rear screen, saw the aliasing that's worse than any camera I've ever shot, put it down and walked away. 

The Eos m at 200$ is a Much better video camera, 

Sorry but agree with Andrew, wasted your money unless you'll use it for stills and to test samsung lenses with it in stills mode. 

I am not sure about the Samsung cameras. But I share the idea of buying a cheap entry level mirrorless camera to get into filming and to practise framing, sliders, tripods, manual fokus and what not....

I like my old Sony Nex-5r and I believe any cheap mirrorless can be good for practising (depending on your expectations). You have to be careful with moire and aliasing for sure with those cheaper cameras, so avoid city shots in broad daylight with focus at infintiy and landscape shots if it troubles you. As for the Sony cameras you can dial them down to get an almost log-like image so you can even practise grading a bit.

For all of those shots I used log LUTs that were meant for Sony Slog2 footage and even some LUTs for blackmagics log mode. The LUTs surely killed my highlights, but just for the fun of it and pracising purpose i think its enough.

If you discover that shooting video is your thing you should grab something like NX1, A7S or GH4 anyways. Or like Andrew mentioned to stay small the NX500 should be a fine camera.

I think OP really should concentrate on 1 A cam vs lots of B/C cam.  A few of my friends step up to FS7 or Red this year from DSLR/Mirrorless, for new client having a Pro looking camera can really win them over lol.  (and they are willing to pay big $$$)

That said I am thinking of getting NX500 kit just to put it on gimbal, with 16-50mm, 10mm FE and 30mm F2 that should cover a lot of me needs, though NX1 with 120fps slowmo and working AF is really tempting too. Either one will replace my LX100, I still need GH4 for long events, with 256GB and battery grip it can last whole day of 4K recording which non of other mirrorless can do.

My friend done 3D Wedding once and he vows never to do it again, the post production for 3D sucks balls and you are forced to watch lots of 3D Footage. (not good for your eye... seriously!)

I think OP really should concentrate on 1 A cam vs lots of B/C cam.  A few of my friends step up to FS7 or Red this year from DSLR/Mirrorless, for new client having a Pro looking camera can really win them over lol.  (and they are willing to pay big $$$)

I'd love to get a Sony FS7! But:

1) it costs as much as FORTY NX300 cameras would be in relation to what i paid for that NX300! Waaay outside my budget. Maybe in another year or three :-)

2) isn't right for my needs, I nee​d multiple cameras for coverage. Thus my interest in sub $300ish cameras.

Is highly likely for me next wedding season it will be Panasonic GH4 + 5x Panasonic GH1/GH2

BUT there is a slim possibility I could go for Sony A7s plus several Sony A7000 / A6000 / A5100 bodies for the other angles (this is my preferred option for my wedding set up!! Which is kinda affordable. But I think maybe just too expensive for me in the end)

And another slim possibility I might go for Samsung NX1 as a main camera plus several NX500 / NX300 bodies for the other angles. (Is a kinda mid point suggested set up, between the Panasonic and Sony in terms of cost and performance, I think)

Which one of these three main set ups I go for will depend I guess on how I'm doing financially and simply which of the three brands puts out the biggest price drops first over the next five months. But I'd also like to see for myself how each could work for me, I already own an A5100 and GH1, now got a NX300 on the way.