C300 ll and C500 ll -Confirmed/April

lafilm

Between the new C300 ll and C500 ll (NAB -April) the Sony FS7 may be dying a quick death - if (in my opinion) the prices are competitive.

Filmmakers will go Canon for light weight, ergonomics, lens selection, - nail in the coffin - Color - out of the box...and...uncanny lowlight/dr S35.

Dracula (er...canon) returns from the grave in 48 days.

www.canonrumors.com

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There are a lot of really big IFs. I have no doubt that Canon has the ability to completely smash their competition to the C-line. Whether or not they will actually do so is another issue. The thing is (and what Canon knows as well)- people will gobble it up even if they're only offered the most minuscule of upgrades. 

Sure, given the rumors, 4K does seem pretty likely for the C300, but what about high frame rates? What about RAW? Personally, I can't use the C series camera for any kind of fast-paced work without a rig. With a zacuto recoil-style rig, it's a dream. BUT, the FS7 has that form factor already.

The FS7 could certainly get some bruises in this fight, but I have serious doubts that it will be beaten on all fronts. C500ii might be able to beat it, but without a substantial price drop it's in a very different league.

Sure is exciting to hear what new iterations they have. I'm betting the 2nd editions could already be implemented on the current ones via a firmware upgrade. But I could be wrong, and could be a hardware thing.

I'm guessing 4K internal recordings, compressed raw or at a high bit rate, HFR up to 60fps at least in either 4k or 1080p. 10-bit 422, and better codec? Who knows, can't wait though!

If Canon releases competitive new cameras, Sony can compete at a lower price point. Sony has been stronger in low light (A7S) and high frame rates (FS700, FS7, F5, F55). Their color has been improving- even matching Alexa with LUTs. The FS7 menu system sounds like it's a mess- fixable with a firmware update.

That said, it will be great to see new gear from Canon! I would expect to see higher bitrate 422 H.264 (XAVC-like) and perhaps ProRes vs. RAW (except perhaps for the C500 II). With good in-camera debayer (or no need for debayer as with the original C300), ProRes 422x or 4444x at 10- or 12-bits is more than sufficient for high-end work.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The C300 just needs 4K and a 120p mode and it will be a huge success at 10-11K vs the fs7. I think it will always be this way, Canon at a slightly higher price with a slightly lesser spec (raw output module and 180p vs 120p or something) and both will be successful. I have a feeling they will go to Cfast media. They will probably sweeten the deal with a few Canon advantages like DPAF, internal wifi, better evf, slightly redisgned layout, 10bit codec and 10bit output, C log + Luts and all these lovely little things, just not raw output to external recorder and no very super high slowmotion, these would be preserved for an internally raw C500, 240p, 12bit, etecetera, 

Canon are rarely unexpectable in making their moves.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It's kind of a bummer how Canonrumors confirm a C500 mk II, because I was hoping for the merging of the 300+500 lines at a halfway price point, this way they could make an ultimate C300 mk II with all the raw, 12bit, 120p 4K  (currrent C500 features) Now they'll have to preserve some for the big guy. It would have made more sense to make an entirely new C500 at the top end with more innovation to compete with the hugely hard to near Arris and Reds, 

There are rumours that the C500 will go very high end, to compete with Alexa/Dragon/VariCam

C300 will have to have 4K, 10 bit with some overcrank options... So I wouldn't worry too much about crippling, just yet. 4K slow motion and ergonomics will be the main separator

I saw that C700X post on PR.

4K + 10bit 4:4:4 + Global Shutter + on-sensor stabilisation - sounds way too good to be true.

However, if it is true, and given that it's Canon, it will most likely cost more than any indie filmmaker could likely afford...

​The rumor is completely bogus. Those specs are nonsense. Canon is trying to set the C500 Mark II as an Alexa competitor so whatever does end up taking that space will indeed be high end, but anything that rents for under $1000/day is within rich of most indies, so I wouldn't go so far as to say that unless the camera exceeds $100,000, which it won't.

The problem is no one other than Arri has made a camera that's anywhere near as good as the Alexa. So the C500s and F55s and even F65s and Dragons of the world will continue to struggle. Canon dominates the low end/wedding videographer (C300, which sells and rents well) market, but it will really struggle to encroach into the high end.

Canon appears to have given up on the low end enthusiast market. T4is sell well for video and are good enough for most. Anything better with Canon's name on it would just cannibalize the profitable C100's market share (sold well, rents horribly).

Ebrahim - That would have been great, but I think we can all agree with Canon it comes down to the dollar.

That being said a C300 ll with 4K internal, moderate upgrade in performance/ergo/frame rates/ will be good for just about any of us for the next 24 months.

C300 ll will not have body stabilization, but I can see an improved DPAF. Which, believe it or not, some pro DP's are actually using now.  I used to think that was a joke, until I saw a recent example with the C100 ll.

C300 ll will rent more than ARRI Mini - why? Price.

• Administrators

Actually the Arri Mini will lose the C300 quite a few customers on Alexa shoots where it was standing in as a smaller b-cam.

The FS7 will erode the C300's lead on the rental market as well, because it adapts to PL lenses out of the box with a simple adapter AND to EF with another simple adapter. It's more flexible.

The FS7's 10bit and high frame rates are also a factor, as is dynamic range. It is incredible in that respect, I am seeing at least 13-14 stops in S-LOG 3.

There's a good chance none of the rumours will come true and the C300 Mark II ends up being a 1080p cam, if so it's toast. Total toast. Burnt toast at that.

Hate to be pessimistic but they may reserve internal 4K and the new codec for the C500 successor instead and charge same as the Alexa Mini!

The C300 Mark II might just get a better EVF and screen along with 60p, a precedence Canon have already set with the C100 Mk II.

Soon we will find out.