nx1 - shogun - jello - h265 blocking

50asa

hello

i´m very interested in the nx1...as far as i can see the major problems are the rolling shutter effects and the h265 codec. has anyone of you tried a shogun or another external 4k or 2k recording... this makes the camera more difficult - i know, but maybe its worth it...

for the jello my only idea is stabilizing - with is lenses and something like a tripod, monopod, mövi-ronin...and a shouldering for handheld camera...

but how is the quality over hdmi...possible for broadcast?

please share your information on this topic 

50asa

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

As far as I know (and hopefully I'm wrong!), you can only shoot in 4K when using an external recorder. 

I don't think using a Shogun with a NX1 makes a lot of sense since it records 4K internally, so all you gain is a really good monitor and you can skip the transcoding process, but I doubt it actually improves image quality. It would be nice to see an improved 1080p mode (less banding, no macroblocking etc) with a way faster workflow when using something like the Atomos Ninja Star though. That'd be a huge improvement. Andrew, would you mind hooking up your Nina Star (or any other 1080p recorder) to your NX1 and let us know if you can actually record 1080p externally? 

As far as I know (and hopefully I'm wrong!), you can only shoot in 4K when using an external recorder. 

I don't think using a Shogun with a NX1 makes a lot of sense since it records 4K internally, so all you gain is a really good monitor and you can skip the transcoding process, but I doubt it actually improves image quality. It would be nice to see an improved 1080p mode (less banding, no macroblocking etc) with a way faster workflow when using something like the Atomos Ninja Star though. That'd be a huge improvement. Andrew, would you mind hooking up your Nina Star (or any other 1080p recorder) to your NX1 and let us know if you can actually record 1080p externally? 

Unfortunately I tried this, the camera does not do clean 1080p out, I'm hoping they fix this in a firmware update. 

thank´s for your answers...

i realy like the sharpness-details in 4k and the great autofokus with 16-50 2-2.8 with ois...

the downside - rolling shutter (this you have also with 7s or gh4, even worse if you don´t use a stabilized lens) and what you see is what you get...there are not much things possible in davinci, cause of the 8bit 420...so if you want to fix an overexposed picture shot vs countershot- youre in an dead end...

prove me wrong...

from youre expereience...what are the best and maximized flat sttings?

gamma dr

less sharpness? -3

contrast? -6

somthing else....

thank you

Personal Settings:

Gamma DR, Contrast -6, Sat +1, Sharpness -8, Gamma +11. Also for shooting I think it's best if you slightly underexpose the image, but that is personal taste.

Also don't discount the 1080p mode if you need to cover fast action, it's plenty sharp and the RS is amazing in that mode.

Will someone please post some more NX1 footage recorded on the Shogun or 7Q? Andrew, I'm looking at you... ;)

The WhiteStyle clip DigitalEd linked, as he said was not the greatest, it doesn't exhibit the banding that the internally recorded footage seems to suffer from.