GH4 simultaneous audio recording while in 96fps mode

DesignbyAustin

First off, does anyone forsee Panasonic making a firmware update in the future to include audio recording while filming in 96fps on the GH4? 

Could I please get a few suggestions as far as the best way to go about recording sound while recording in Slow motion? I find myself often filming in 96fps, giving me flexibility in post to play at full speed, OR slow motion. Im inhibited by the fact that I have no audio, if I choose to speed the footage up. I have reasearched a few external audio recorders but have found little information as far as the workflow to sync the audio to the video. Any help would be much appreciated! Although cost is somewhat a factor, a smooth workflow in order to deliver projects to clients is important.

Thank You in advance!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For sync use a real clapper board or an app. Use your cellphone for audio- quality is good enough if on a budget. Shooting at 60p provides audio when not in VFR mode- that isn't slow enough?

In your NLE, sync the audio spike for the clapper sound to the visual of the clapper closing (or screen flash if using an app).

Do you shoot events or in controlled scenarios? 

If you're shooting races and stuff like that... I wouldn't want to use an external recorder for that. Stuff happens very quickly and you're constantly have to push the record button on your camera, push the record button on the external recorder, pause both recordings, somehow sync it up in post. It might work when you shoot the race runs where there's a one or two minute gap between each rider but it's close to impossible when shooting practice in my opinion and experience. 

If you shoot in controlled scenarios, as in you shoot a video with one specific rider and you shoot several takes of specific sections of the trail, then an external recorder will work better. In that case a clapper board should do the trick. When you're filming specific sections of a trail that you know, you can also skip the clapper board, hit the record button on your camera, hit the record button on the recorder, position yourself in front of the camera and say for example "section XYZ, take #3" and then sync it in post. 

There's a Shure microphone (VP83F) that has an integrated recorder. It's a lot less clumsy than an external recorder plus a shotgun microphone and fairly affordable, so that might work for you. 

Stuff happens very quickly and you're constantly have to push the record button on your camera, push the record button on the external recorder, pause both recordings, somehow sync it up in post. It might work when you shoot the race runs where there's a one or two minute gap between each rider but it's close to impossible when shooting practice in my opinion and experience. 

​Just let the recorder run constantly. You'll have one long audio file and a bunch of video clips than can be very easily synched with software if you make sure to get good levels with your on-camera mic. With FCPX, you can just throw everything into a multicam clip and it will automatically find all the points where the camera audio and external audio matches up. 

​Just let the recorder run constantly. You'll have one long audio file and a bunch of video clips than can be very easily synched with software if you make sure to get good levels with your on-camera mic. With FCPX, you can just throw everything into a multicam clip and it will automatically find all the points where the camera audio and external audio matches up. 

​The camera doesn't record sound internally though, at least when shooting 96fps with a GH4 or 120fps with a Samsung NX1. There's nothing to sync the audio file of the external recorder with, so that's a fairly big problem. 

​The camera doesn't record sound internally though, at least when shooting 96fps with a GH4 or 120fps with a Samsung NX1. There's nothing to sync the audio file of the external recorder with, so that's a fairly big problem. 

​Duh. I forgot what topic I was in and why the question was asked in the first place.

Do you shoot events or in controlled scenarios? 

If you're shooting races and stuff like that... I wouldn't want to use an external recorder for that. Stuff happens very quickly and you're constantly have to push the record button on your camera, push the record button on the external recorder, pause both recordings, somehow sync it up in post. It might work when you shoot the race runs where there's a one or two minute gap between each rider but it's close to impossible when shooting practice in my opinion and experience. 

If you shoot in controlled scenarios, as in you shoot a video with one specific rider and you shoot several takes of specific sections of the trail, then an external recorder will work better. In that case a clapper board should do the trick. When you're filming specific sections of a trail that you know, you can also skip the clapper board, hit the record button on your camera, hit the record button on the recorder, position yourself in front of the camera and say for example "section XYZ, take #3" and then sync it in post. 

There's a Shure microphone (VP83F) that has an integrated recorder. It's a lot less clumsy than an external recorder plus a shotgun microphone and fairly affordable, so that might work for you. 

​I see what your saying. In general I'm shooting quick start and stop scenarios. I read extensively about the Shure microphone you mentioned. When they say that "One press of the Record button starts tracking" are they impling that it is "smart", in that it is recording the sound on the external sd card (on the microphone), but starting and stoping based on the camera's start and stop? That is exactly what I'm looking for!

​I see what your saying. In general I'm shooting quick start and stop scenarios. I read extensively about the Shure microphone you mentioned. When they say that "One press of the Record button starts tracking" are they impling that it is "smart", in that it is recording the sound on the external sd card (on the microphone), but starting and stoping based on the camera's start and stop? That is exactly what I'm looking for!

​I'm not sure. I just found out about the Shure microphone/recorder actually. I doubt that pressing the record button on your camera triggers the microphone, but hopefully I'm wrong. 

That's one of the things I like about the A7s. It can do 120fps and record audio at the same time. People were like "why?" Sony but I think it's a great feature.

Yes, but 120fps at 720p at honestly I would never use it moving the camera as it loses a lot of detail compared to 1080p. I used 120fps on the A7s but it was only for close ups / medium shots of the subject I was filming, it would look horrible on medium wide to wide and beyond shots. By that token so does the 96fps on the GH4.