Samsung NX1 1080p Real world handheld test

Ed_David

Last shot is 4k UHD - look at that wobble on the last shot. 

The last shot spinning - now we are talking - now the Samsung NX1 can be used for more doc settings - I don't mind the resolution loss and the minor blockiness - it's not as bad as the A7s in 1080p mode.  I think this camera at $1500 with crazy fast firmware updating and the support of camera hackers - will become a serious contender.  $1500 vs $2500 - that's $1000 savings you can put into your pocket and spend on more important things, like feeding the homeless.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Love the grade Ed. I absolutely fucking hated the colours in your A7S vs BMPCC video. Nice to see someone not crush the shit out of the blacks with NX1 footage. Lots of color tone without having to fake sharpness with contrast. Thanks for posting this.

Oh and yeah, dat rolling shutter. 1080 is a huge improvement.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Thanks Ed looks great! What do you mean better thab a7s 1080p though, resolution or blockiness? Because the a7s 1080p is clearly significantly sharper, this looks more liKe a7R, 5D, GH4 1080p level just with what's effectively a global shutter. 

Look how stable that is though, this is global shutter performance. It's a very nice find for people who want to shoot moving subjects on a budget. Samuel rates RS at 7ms (film is 5ms, alexa is 11 and is considered global shutter performamce)  while 4K is a whopping 33ms, D90 and A7s level, i.e., nasty for anything but completely static scenes. 

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about the NX1 1080p vs A7s 1080p. The NX1 footage looks good and I like the feel of it. Rolling shutter, or lack thereof, is great, too. I find it hard to believe that the image is better than the A7s image. The NX1 footage seems to handle motion and hand held stuff fine... looks like the image holds up when there's motion. But there's also quite a bit of banding in both the highlights and the shadows, and sharpness / resolution is definitely different than 4K. Not neccessarily in a bad way, but I'm interested to see a comparison between the NX1 and the A7s. 

Would you mind testing the low light capabilities in 1080p? It seems to be worse than in 4K, some people claim that the footage starts falling apart above ISO 800. 

Thanks a ton for your effort and the comparison videos... they're extremely useful!

Thanks for the videos. I've already seen the Gizmodo video review and that was one of the reasons I was curious to hear your opinions about the NX1 vs the A7s. I still find the A7s 1080p image to be more detailed than the NX1 1080p image, plus dynamic range seems to be better, too - but that's very hard to judge when the footage isn't shot side by side. I'm also curious to find out how the NX1 1080p mode handles shooting at higher ISOs. The 4K footage is fine up to ISO 3200 and then falls apart, so I imagine that the 1080p footage is usable up to ISO 800 or ISO 1600. It would be great if someone could test this. 

Ed, the Drummers on the Beach video looks great. The blacks look crushed in a very silky way, sort of the NX1 trademark. I'm not too fond of that and prefer the blacks to be less contrasty, but that's just my taste. The detail and lack of rolling shutter does look fantastic. I'm wondering if it makes sense to use the 4K mode for wide, locked-down shots and use the 1080p mode for everything handheld and focal lengths above 30mm. 

Now if only I could rent an NX1 over here before buying it... 

​IMO that has mostly to do with the quality of your rig and how much coffee you've had that morning. 

​Not sure what exactly you quoted, but yes, I agree. A good and heavy rig, less coffee and a lens with IS will certainly help reduce the small wobbles and jittering. Rolling shutter will still be very visible when doing pans, even when the camera is locked down on a tripod. That's why I suggested to use the 4K mode for fairly static, wide angle-shots and use the 1080p mode for fast-paced hand held stuff etc. 

The drummers on the beach was not right out of the camera i did edit it and my editing and want i am doing it is not right. I am using one HP monitor to edit and view playback i have no HD tv hooked to it i have to save to a thumb drive to then take over to a TV to play back in another room..

This is not my house we are on Vacation so i can not move things around much will be much better when i get back home next month. So yes i am sure i crushed it a lot i will see if i can find a unedited clip to post.

''''''''''''''''''''

Just checked its gone i needed to open up more space.

Here is the newer 4K version edited to HD still shows all the blacks not crushed.

NX1 gamma -8 sharpness, -5 saturation, -4 Contrast, + 10 black
No contrast or curves added when edited only a small amount of saturation.
Shot in 4K Edited in Edius down to HD. Shot with a 100x300mm Nikon mount lens manual focus.