Wide Zoom Options

fuzzynormal

I usually shoot with primes, but my wife does lots of corporate run and gun filming.

We're transitioning this year to a full on m43 commitment and unloading our Canon DSLR stuff --and we'd like to get something similar in performance to her favorite piece of glass, the Canon - EF 24-70mm f/2.8.

So, I'm figuring some sort of lens that I can mount with a "dumb" speedbooster on M43.  As such, it'll need an iris ring.  I guess a wide zoom in the range of 17-35mm would be comparable...  

Just wondering if anyone has experience or suggestions of a lens that's in the ballpark of those specs?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Good wide zooms tend to cost a bit more, also the old used classics.

See if you can find a nice price on a Nikon 20-35 f/2.8, it should be in the ballpark of the price of a used 24-70. It performs nearly as good as the newer Nikon AF-S 17-35 f/2.8 (which also should be a good choice, but probably a bit more expensive).

Is it possible to change the iris manually on the Sigma 18-35 with a Nikon adapter? 

​Yes, you can! That would be my exact suggestion.

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 with a R.J. or Zhongyi lens turbo (or Metabones Speedbooster, or Fotodiox focal reducer, whatevs). Need something wider? Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. Not that wide, like Nick said, the 28-70mm f/2.8 from Nikon is pretty awesome. So is the 80-200mm btw (but you'll need to lock it down).

Btw. I applaud you for taking this step!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

You can just go the full non-geeky approach and get a 12-35mm 2.8 IS. No Ring for iris but you gain great stabilization, size, af, no adapters, you get convenience to put frankly.

The geeky approach, get a Nikon 20-35mm f/2.8 D plus SB for getting a wide insanely fast zoom. Iris ring,This is the only one that has it in the affordable range (next is 17-35mm 2.8)

Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 with SB is even better, faster, but no iris ring. 

Or, or, just buy an EF-m43s SB and use your Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L ...

Wait. The Metabones Speedy doesn't have aperture control?

Both my dummy Fotga adapter and R.J. Lens Turbo do... given that I have everything Nikon mounted for that reason.

- Ah. You mean precise control? Being able to read which f-stop you're at, because the Sigma doesn't have markings? Honestly, I don't mind. It's stepless! I can take whatever I require!

For video I definitely would rather have stepless.

The 18-35 with a SB will be both less wide and long than the Canon however. You probably might want to think about adapting an APS-C 17-50 class lens for the closest equivalent. Remember that you can't use EF-S lenses!

​Indeed, but what about the manual focus?  I know it has some sort of manual "clutch" but am unsure what that means in actual practice.

​It's actually rather nifty. Pop it back towards you and you have manual mechanical control with marker ranging from 0.2 m with a few intermediate steps to infinity (90 degree rotation WITH HARD STOPS). Push it again forwards, the focusring becomes fly-by-wire and has typical behaviour such as infinite rotation. There's a bit of 'rattle' as well whilst MF with it in fly-by-wire mode.